Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #1

Buying New Tires

I've had Castle Rock tires on my TT since I bought it, and it's been about 2 & 1/2 years. They still look good, but one of them recently started to leak. I was going to put air in the tires, but I figured that my last TT had the china bomb blow-out(s) at around 3 years. So it's about time to swap them out rather than blow them out!
Last night I looked up Goodyear Endurance tires online. I found the size, specs and price I wanted - very easily. Today I went to two different tire dealers in town, and neither one could get me the Goodyear tires I wanted?! Neither of the dealers had an issue with mounting & balancing them if I bought them online. So tonight I ordered them from - of all places - Amazon.com! It just strikes me as odd that I can buy the tires but the dealer couldn't? Why would that be?
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #2

I had Goodyear Endurance tires installed last week. Tire shop had them in stock.
Previously, had Castle Rocks.

Yeah, I figured I was playing Russian roulette with the China bombs.
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
p It just strikes me as odd that I can buy the tires but the dealer couldn't? Why would that be?
The tire dealers are interested in making money. They are not going to buy them at retail prices to sell them to you at $1 profit.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:59 PM   #4

Quote:
! It just strikes me as odd that I can buy the tires but the dealer couldn't? Why would that be?
Dealers don't stock tires that are not high volume or high profit. Sometimes they can get them from a nearby warehouse, but there might not be in stock in your area.

The Amazon dealer is making a profit and they can arranged them to be shipped from anywhere in the country that has them in stock.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
I've had Castle Rock tires on my TT since I bought it, and it's been about 2 & 1/2 years. They still look good, but one of them recently started to leak. I was going to put air in the tires, but I figured that my last TT had the china bomb blow-out(s) at around 3 years. So it's about time to swap them out rather than blow them out!
Last night I looked up Goodyear Endurance tires online. I found the size, specs and price I wanted - very easily. Today I went to two different tire dealers in town, and neither one could get me the Goodyear tires I wanted?! Neither of the dealers had an issue with mounting & balancing them if I bought them online. So tonight I ordered them from - of all places - Amazon.com! It just strikes me as odd that I can buy the tires but the dealer couldn't? Why would that be?
I ordered my Carlisle tires via Amazon. Fed-X dropped them off 2 days later at our house. A local tire shop mounted and balanced all 5 for $50.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #6

I had to replace a Castle Rock after bringing trailer home first time. Discount tire had like 20 in stock locally. Came back from 1st trip a week later and replaced the other four with Carlisle HD Trails. They had ordered them in, but had them next day.
2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Gasser
and a couple of those Harley things
sold: 2021 Graywolf 22RR
Cruzrtwdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

I ordered and had shipped to my house Goodyear Endurance from www.Walmart.com last spring.
My SIL and Grandson are HUGE into demo derbies and bought a tire changing machine. Didn’t balance them, $5-10 each if I take them to the tire shop I use. TT was a little precarious with the tires off. Final result, TT shifted a couple inches downhill!
When I get the third for the spare, I might do the switcharoo to balance them.
Might be wishful thinking, but the TT seems to tow easier.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I ordered and had shipped to my house Goodyear Endurance from www.Walmart.com last spring.
My SIL and Grandson are HUGE into demo derbies and bought a tire changing machine. Didn’t balance them, $5-10 each if I take them to the tire shop I use. TT was a little precarious with the tires off. Final result, TT shifted a couple inches downhill!
When I get the third for the spare, I might do the switcharoo to balance them.
Might be wishful thinking, but the TT seems to tow easier.

You should only do one side at a time even if you have to make 2 trips to the tire shop . that way you ALWAYs have a couple tires planted .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
You should only do one side at a time even if you have to make 2 trips to the tire shop . that way you ALWAYs have a couple tires planted .
Single axle.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Single axle.
Still should only do one side at a time . but do whatever floats your boat seem the trailer only slipped a few inches this time .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Single axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Still should only do one side at a time . but do whatever floats your boat seem the trailer only slipped a few inches this time .
I hook the trailer up to the tow vehicle whenever I do any tire changes in the driveway to eliminate trailer rolling. But I have a second vehicle I can ferry wheels to the tire shop with. Used to jack both sides of the single axle trailer I had with no issues hooked up to tow vehicle.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #12

The problem with lifting the entire axle off the ground to change both tires on the axle simultaneously is that the shackles can flip. Upon lowering the tires back to the ground sometimes the shackles flip back correctly, sometimes they don't.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The problem with lifting the entire axle off the ground to change both tires on the axle simultaneously is that the shackles can flip. Upon lowering the tires back to the ground sometimes the shackles flip back correctly, sometimes they don't.
Lifting with jack under axle (under spring mount) or under frame?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Lifting with jack under axle (under spring mount) or under frame?
Of course not. I should of been more explicit for those who jack under the frame.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:38 PM   #15

I'm halfway done

UPS delivered my tires on Tuesday - ahead of schedule. I didn't want to move the trailer and I only have one jack, so I'm doing one tire at a time. Yesterday I ran the first tire down to the shop. I asked for them to be mounted, balanced and new valve stems installed.
While they were working on mounting the tire, I wire-brushed the rust and scale off the hub and studs, painted it aluminum (had a can of that spray paint hanging around). Got some spray undercoating and did inside the wheel wheel. Then I greased the threads on the studs.
One side is done and one side to go. I'll have to bring it to the shop later and have the wheels torqued, as I don't own a torque wrench.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Then I greased the threads on the studs.

Can I ask if this is something you do on vehicles too?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:00 PM   #17

Not always

On my boat trailers especially, the studs and nuts rust so bad that they are very difficult to get off (usually on the side of the road). I don't have a pneumatic wrench and I'm not as strong as I used to be! In my younger days, I'd torque the lug nuts until they made a snapping noise. I don't think I can do that anymore! LOL
Old 09-07-2022, 11:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
On my boat trailers especially, the studs and nuts rust so bad that they are very difficult to get off (usually on the side of the road). I don't have a pneumatic wrench and I'm not as strong as I used to be! In my younger days, I'd torque the lug nuts until they made a snapping noise. I don't think I can do that anymore! LOL

The reason I ask, is you will find most vehicle specs are going to be for dry torque ONLY. They will specify to not use any kind of lubricant (oil, etc) on the studs or more specifically the mating surfaces between the nut and wheel. It's hard to put grease on a stud and it not get on everything. Our tire training materials state the same.

Just a FYI and everyone's mileage may vary. I'm not as concerned with it on a trailer as I am a vehicle, which is why I asked if you did the same on vehicles.

Here are a few articles on such:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=107

https://www.autoserviceprofessional....wheel-clamping

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:10 AM   #19

Thanks for the info

I'd never heard that before. I use good ol' blue axle grease. I'd be more concerned if I had used anti-seize compound.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #20

I have been told to put 10 ply trailer tires on as they are meant for the heavy duty use and last longer. I also have the tires balanced; it helps.
stepha.fleming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires