Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

can i use level up jacks to raise trailer?

we have a 16,000 lb 40 ft long fifth wheel with the lippert 6 point leveling system. it has two 7,000 lb axles.

i want to pull the wheels and hubs to check the axle bearing and brakes.

can i use the lippert level up jacks to raise one side of the trailer at a time? i would place blocks under the jacks so they have enough stroke to raise the trailer side. as soon as i got the tire off the ground i would use jackstands or blocking under the frame and lower the frame so that it was supported by the jackstands / blocking and i would retract the jacks. at that point i would pull the tires / hubs. i would then use the jacks again to raise the trailer so i could remove the blocking and then lower it back down once i had the wheels back on.

has anybody done this? do you see any problems with it?

for what it is worth when we performed the auto level function at a couple of sites that were a bit sloped we actually ended up with both wheels on one side raised off the ground.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #2

I just finished working on my Cedar Creek 38FL 5er. New brakes, brass bushings in the springs and replacing the wet bolts. I lifted the unit with the leveling system for 2 days. No issue at all. As you said there are times when setup at a CG that the system has to raise one side off the ground to achieve level.
FYI. I was looking for a alignment issue due to tire wear after a 1000 mile trip. The issue was the right rear spring bushing was completely worn out which cause the axle to be out of align That said while your working take a good look at all the suspension shackles and bolts.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #3

Agree with kirk. I've used the 6 point level system many times to change tires, grease wheel bearings etc. Just use jack stands on the frame for safety while working.
I find it easier if you ground the opposite side jacks first, then lift (using blocks) the side you want off the ground. But I've done it both ways.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

to mr NMwildcat:

just to make sure i understand what you said in your reply.

you said to ground the opposite side, do you mean extend the 6 legs on the side that you will not be working on? then use some blocks under the legs that will raise the side you are going to work on so as to minimize their extension. then left up the side you are going to work on. at that point i would get jackstands or cribbing under the frame of the side i would be working on.

my question is would raising and tilting the trailer put a strain on the grounded jacks on the opposite side?

thanks
Old 08-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
to mr NMwildcat:

just to make sure i understand what you said in your reply.

you said to ground the opposite side, do you mean extend the 6 legs on the side that you will not be working on? then use some blocks under the legs that will raise the side you are going to work on so as to minimize their extension. then left up the side you are going to work on. at that point i would get jackstands or cribbing under the frame of the side i would be working on.

my question is would raising and tilting the trailer put a strain on the grounded jacks on the opposite side?

thanks
I find when I lower the opposite side jacks to where they are just touching the ground (grounded), then the tires come off the ground quicker (less lifting) on the side I'm working on. My thinking is it takes the opposite side springs out of the equation.
If you are worried about side tension on the jacks, use more blocks.
I've done this on the side of the road and at my house many, many times, and never damaged anything, yet
But either way works, I've done it both ways. It really doesn't require much extra lifting than when leveling, you'll see when you actually do it.
Oh, started grounding the opposite side jacks when I was greasing wheel bearings at home. The trailer was not hooked up to truck, front landing jacks already down, just made sense to me to ground all jacks. Front jacks have a much longer stroke on mine, so really didn't require any extra blocks on lifting side front jack.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, trailer