Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Carlisle ST225-75R15 LRE Tires

Looking at purchasing some replacement tires for the trailer. Has anyone had any experience with the Carlisle Brand ?

I have been trolling the various travel trailer forums and finding mixed reviews on every manufacturer of trailer tires.

Wouldn't mind some feedback from my home forum.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've got my original Carlisle tires and they are holding up fairly well after 18 months and about 3000 miles (we're staying local right now). I'll look to replace them with something next summer as we intend to head out on a two or three week trip next year to somewhere.

Not sure I would go back even though they worked so far for us. I've read those same mixed reviews.

Here's a few links for you that I had read through to get a better handle on this as trailer tires are not my strong suit. I am sure others will pop in with some more experienced thoughts as well.

Tire Choices: I'm confused!

Things to know about trailer tires

Trailer tire confusion

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

I had 3 blowouts in one trip with mine. That was 7 years ago and from what I've read the newer ones are much better.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Be sure to check out the NHTSA website under Tire Ratings. From there you can search complaints and find several hundred complaints concerning the Carlisle brand. I just finished some research on buying new tires for the used Surveyor I purchased this past weekend and although I could have saved a few bucks by going with Carlisle ST tires once I stumbled onto those complaints and read a few concerning the blow outs and tire separation issues that they were having there was no way I wanted to take a chance and use them on my trailer. On my post concerning the similar issue you are facing someone pointed me towards the Maxxis ST tire so I checked and couldn't find any complaints on the NHTSA site for that brand. Also I found positive comments on some other RV forums concerning the Maxxis brand and no one really had anything negative to say about them. I hope I made the right choice since I'm having mine installed tomorrow.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Southwestern Newbie

I sold a lot of Carlisles over the years while helping manage a major tire store. I think they are great for the money. I wouldn't want Goodyear Marathons or ANY General/Continental or Chinese tire if I could help it. Good luck. Most important, keep fresh tires. The Rubber Manufacturers Association recommended trailer tires every three years no matter what tread looks like when I was selling and that is what I live by. Having seen too many separations on older tires it just isn't worth it.
Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterdanderson View Post
I sold a lot of Carlisles over the years while helping manage a major tire store. I think they are great for the money. I wouldn't want Goodyear Marathons or ANY General/Continental or Chinese tire if I could help it. Good luck. Most important, keep fresh tires. The Rubber Manufacturers Association recommended trailer tires every three years no matter what tread looks like when I was selling and that is what I live by. Having seen too many separations on older tires it just isn't worth it.

Thanks for the feedback,

I have come to realize no matter what tire I look at, I hear both bad & good. At the end of the day I think I will give the Carlisle tires a go.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #7

Carlisle has a new Radial Trail RH that is getting good reviews, might want to look into that over the Sport Trail. They are on my short list but after calling for pricing I can get the Maxxis cheaper so I will be going that route when I order tires. I had them on my last TT and the 2 years I had them on there did not have any issues.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

I bought the exact same size and load range back in 09. I did alot of research and I found the Carlisles with the issues were the load range "C" and "D"`s. I never ran across one complaint of an "E" rated tire issue. I have been to Mackinac MI, the Smoky`s, Disney, Northern WI. and not one issue or complaint. they are the best tires I have purchased!

I say go for it!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I bought the exact same size and load range back in 09. I did alot of research and I found the Carlisles with the issues were the load range "C" and "D"`s. I never ran across one complaint of an "E" rated tire issue. I have been to Mackinac MI, the Smoky`s, Disney, Northern WI. and not one issue or complaint. they are the best tires I have purchased!

I say go for it!
Thanks...that is great to hear. My main motivator was to upgrade the existing load range "C" tire which barely met the load of the trailer to a load range "E" which provides a better margin of safety for load rating.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

During the early 2000s, Carlisle's had some problems. You don't hear a lot of problems lately.

I put Carlisle's on my Trailmanor in 2007. The present owners are still running those tires with no problems that I am aware of.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #11

Funny, I just went on to Carlisle's website for tire costs. The tires were $132.00 each and UPS wants $102.00 each for shipping.
I can buy the same tire locally for $163.00.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #12

As stated before you should change yor tires about ever 3 years... but BEWARE make sure the date code on the tires are the same as the year you bought them, if they have been setting around for three years then you may as well leave the tires on that you have on.

As far as tires made in China, I have never seen a Carlisle tire that was not made in China....Now I will tell you this, I bought a new 2006 Forest River RockWood 8314ss in 2006 I check the date codes on the carlisle tires that came standard on the camper, the tires where all ready 3 years old, the tires where manufactured in 2003 I replaced the tires one year after I had the camper in 2007 and installed Good Year Marathon tires, these tires where made in Canada and the date code was 2007. I took picture of the inside of the Carlisle tire and posted here on the forum It looked odd in the way the tire was seemed in the middle of the tire.

Now Carlisle makes tires for golf carts and other big boy toys and they also make v-belts for mechanical equipment such as air handlers, exhaust fans, air compressors etc, etc....one big thing is to look at the date codes, tires have a 5 year shelf life, when you buy new you what new, they will not give you a discount on tires that have been setting around for a few years and it is a safety issue, so BEWARE......
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote