Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
Of the 3 replacement tires mentioned, I have run the Maxxis 8008 and currently the Carlisle HDs. I bought the Carlisle tires purely on price. Ebay delivered to my door and had Discount Tire mount and balance them. I was very satisfied with the Maxxis and so far just as happy with the Carlisles. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned.
Oh and I recommend you replace them all.
Would also suggest balancing them all as-well. We had an experience with one tire that was found to be defective during the balancing. That aside, tires will roll better and last longer with proper balancing.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #22

I replaced all my stock tires at about 1K including the spare with Carlisle. I also went from a load range E to a F load range. The only thing you need to check is to make sure that it fits because it is about one inch taller than the E range.
Nozzlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
diver165 that was some good info on vibration you felt, I think I have the same tires but only 250 miles so far, I did take one wheel off are they are very light in weight
Yeah, it honestly felt like I had an out of balance truck tire.

I'm kicking myself for not noticing quicker and pulling over sooner. But I guess it could have been worse.
diver165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
I replaced all my stock tires at about 1K including the spare with Carlisle. I also went from a load range E to a F load range. The only thing you need to check is to make sure that it fits because it is about one inch taller than the E range.
The Load Range will have nothing to do with that kind of difference in tire diameter. You would have had to change sizes for there to be that much of a difference.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #25

Springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
How many of these failures are caused by having no leaf springs or shock absorbers on these trailers!
I cringe every time I hit the smallest pot hole or bump in the road, even the smallest hits are bone jarring!
No shocks, sure. But I thought they all had leaf springs or the torsion bar equivalent.

Torsion bar suspensions have been proved in practice. Chryslers have used them in the front for decades. Ford Trucks, too, IIRC.

See the images. The spring action comes from twisting the bar that runs fore and aft for each wheel. One end is fixed. When the other is rotated, it tries to "unwind" to its starting place.

Are you sure you're not looking at a torsion bar equivalent?

Larry
Attached Images

Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #26

What I really liked about my Castle Rocks (other than the name) was when I looked at them across the tread, fully inflated, they are concave!! Never seen that on any tires I have owned in my 68 years.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
What I really liked about my Castle Rocks (other than the name) was when I looked at them across the tread, fully inflated, they are concave!! Never seen that on any tires I have owned in my 68 years.
Uh you’re not kidding. I noticed that on the spare when I put it on in the lot. Quick check of the air pressure and was ok. I was like WTH! At that point I wanted to just get home.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #28

I guess tires are not an exact science!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #29

We have a 2018 Palomino Real Lite RB 181 that came with Castle Rock tires, we have less than 1000 miles on them and I have an appointment today to replace them with Goodyear Endurance. My tire dealer quoted me $130.00 each, mounted balanced and installed on the TT.
dsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #30

Same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver165 View Post
Lost a tire on the way back from Dandridge TN. I have Puma 31BHSS. The tread separated from the carcass. I was able to limp it to the next exit and get it changed w/o issues. Actually I was kind of impressed with how quickly my wife and I got it changed! All the right tools and techniques help.

The damage...well there was some. Looks like it bused up the floor directly under a closet. Doesn't look like any mechanicals were damaged. I'll patch with treated plywood and cover it in Flexseal. The sheet metal can be rolled back down reattached. I always check my tires before I depart. I always check the tires and touch the hubs to for excessive heat. I had about 5min warning. I picked up a vibration in the truck. I never dreamed it was the trailer. I had just commented to my wife that maybe I need to get the tires rotated and balanced on my truck (F250). No sooner made that comment when I looked at side view mirrow and saw the tire shred before my eyes!

Good news...don't need to get the truck tires balanced and rotated!! LOL

But.. Now I'm looking for tires. I'm looking at Maxxis, Goodyear and Carlisle. So throw your opinions out there.

Should I replace the one or all 4? I have about 3 maybe 4K on them. The trailer is a 2018. We tend to camp very close (under 10miles) or over 300mi away.

Whoopsie!!!

Directly above the tire. Shown with spare already in place.

Directly behind the blown tire. Just before the sewer connections.

Same thing happened to us on our 2018 Signature Ultra Lite. We had a blowout on I4 going to Fort Wilderness. The damage was significant (around $4K). These tires are a JOKE dealers should offer options on tires!
We replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #31

Just ordered 4 new Carlisle Radial Trail HDs for my TT. I'll post pics of my repair work. I'm gonna tackle that today.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #32

While you are doing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmiths View Post
We have a 2018 Palomino Real Lite RB 181 that came with Castle Rock tires, we have less than 1000 miles on them and I have an appointment today to replace them with Goodyear Endurance. My tire dealer quoted me $130.00 each, mounted balanced and installed on the TT.
While you are doing this, you might also check to see if you have rubber valve stems--the place where you check/fill tires. If they are rubber, have them replaced with steel stems. The steel stems will be better support for Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) and better at withstanding the high pressures used in trailer tires.

This might cost a couple of dollars more per wheel but is worth it.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #33
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiewood View Post
Same thing happened to us on our 2018 Signature Ultra Lite. We had a blowout on I4 going to Fort Wilderness. The damage was significant (around $4K). These tires are a JOKE dealers should offer options on tires!
We replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance.

I am trying to grasp a hold of that statement. Not many of the few mom and pop dealers would want to get into the tire business and how could a dealer work the logistics of all the options on tires? The dealer can not take off a tire and put a new one on and be stuck with a used tire. Not really fair to hold the dealership on the line for tires the factory put on.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #34

Jayco ...owned by Thor is putting Goodyear endurance on there 5vers ... shame on you FR
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
I am trying to grasp a hold of that statement. Not many of the few mom and pop dealers would want to get into the tire business and how could a dealer work the logistics of all the options on tires? The dealer can not take off a tire and put a new one on and be stuck with a used tire. Not really fair to hold the dealership on the line for tires the factory put on.
It's all about profit. The manufacturer puts cheap tires on a unit and the dealer sells them. Neither is really held accountable for the damage caused by faulty tires. It seems that few items are built for longevity.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver165 View Post
Lost a tire on the way back from Dandridge TN. I have Puma 31BHSS. The tread separated from the carcass. I was able to limp it to the next exit and get it changed w/o issues. Actually I was kind of impressed with how quickly my wife and I got it changed! All the right tools and techniques help.

The damage...well there was some. Looks like it bused up the floor directly under a closet. Doesn't look like any mechanicals were damaged. I'll patch with treated plywood and cover it in Flexseal. The sheet metal can be rolled back down reattached. I always check my tires before I depart. I always check the tires and touch the hubs to for excessive heat. I had about 5min warning. I picked up a vibration in the truck. I never dreamed it was the trailer. I had just commented to my wife that maybe I need to get the tires rotated and balanced on my truck (F250). No sooner made that comment when I looked at side view mirrow and saw the tire shred before my eyes!

Good news...don't need to get the truck tires balanced and rotated!! LOL

But.. Now I'm looking for tires. I'm looking at Maxxis, Goodyear and Carlisle. So throw your opinions out there.

Should I replace the one or all 4? I have about 3 maybe 4K on them. The trailer is a 2018. We tend to camp very close (under 10miles) or over 300mi away.

Whoopsie!!!

Directly above the tire. Shown with spare already in place.

Directly behind the blown tire. Just before the sewer connections.

Unfortunately the way tires and other things are manufactured no level of quality and QC can guarantee no tread separations, no blow out, no defects. It can happen to any tire, even when properly inflated and loaded.
That said we do hear of allot of the Castle Rocks having issues. This I would expect with any tire the manf uses as their OEM tires. Since Forest River and most other Manf in Indiana uses Castle Rock and other China made tires on new rigs... then it stands to reason that Castle Rock anything is what will be reported. Out of the millions of Castle Rock tires put on at factory what has been experienced here as well as the grape vine still doesn't prove they are more likely to fail than any other tire. We need real comparison figures to prove that. I hear of people with issue free experiences with Castle Rock. Haven't heard of anyone putting them back on at tire changing time though. If we had real numbers and statistics from every failure or issue, maybe the DOT, NTSB and RV manufacturers would change suppliers.
All lack of statistics and preaching aside, I ran my 4 Castle Rock's about 4K miles last year, and properly cared for them with pressure and proper loads not even near any of the limits and they did perform great. No complaints about performance or cracks. But I was not convinced they are the best or safest tire for me. When you have doubts it stresses you and that I don't want. I did just change to Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14. Maybe it's me, but they do seem to tow better and feel better. But they are still new and I don't have any road experience. The tire shop said they had a farmer friend that buys used tires for his ranch trailers off road. So some farmer has some nearly new tires rolling over soft cow patties now!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #37

If these tires failed at the rate people suggest you would think you would see the highways littered with trailers with blowouts especially when you consider that there are millions of these tires in service.
cstreu1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
If these tires failed at the rate people suggest you would think you would see the highways littered with trailers with blowouts especially when you consider that there are millions of these tires in service.
And you and others are free to run them as long as you like
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
You are certainly free to justify your thought process with whatever theory statistics you feel necessary.

Those of us that have had failures, have empirical evidence for us to base OUR decision making process on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
Lame *****

I just came to my decision. 3 years for the Castle Rocks. If they fail before I will box and and ship it to the NTSB.

Has anybody complained the NTSB?
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire