Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Are you sure the tires are the culprit? If your X-chocks suddenly stopped fitting and then you had 3 blowouts, I'd be worried about something being up with your suspension/alignment.
IMO, the tires are the culprit. I learned the hard way. My 2018 had only been pulled short trips and two blew at 1200 miles. Fortunately no trailer damage. I would advise anyone buying a new travel trailer/5th wheel to stop at the tire store before going home.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
IMO, the tires are the culprit. I learned the hard way. My 2018 had only been pulled short trips and two blew at 1200 miles. Fortunately no trailer damage. I would advise anyone buying a new travel trailer/5th wheel to stop at the tire store before going home.
You certainly could be right (but given the information provided, it's only a guess on your part), but I'd have a high index of suspicion that there was something else awry if it were my trailer.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Are you sure the tires are the culprit? If your X-chocks suddenly stopped fitting and then you had 3 blowouts, I'd be worried about something being up with your suspension/alignment.
I read into that post you quoted as having tread seperation/delamination allowing the tread to balloon out away from the belting/carcass of the tire, which is a known and common defect of the castle rocks and similarly manufactured tires.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
I read into that post you quoted as having tread seperation/delamination allowing the tread to balloon out away from the belting/carcass of the tire, which is a known and common defect of the castle rocks and similarly manufactured tires.
If this is a known, and common defect, then why no NHTSA recall?

I rzn the OE Castle Rocks on my TT for over 20K miles before replacing.

Better advice for purchasers of new TT's would be to install a TPMS system (many new TT's come with or have as option). Also don't overload and keep speed down to posted limits for towing trailers.

Overloading and low pressures kill tires.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnipe View Post
I should have know something was up when my X-Chocks no longer fit between the tires.

This comment hit me. I wonder to what extent using a product like X-Chocks can damage a set of tires? It would depend on how tight the chocks are set while engaged. Couldn't the pressure applied be, in some respects, similar to hitting a rock or curb while driving or the inter-ply shear issues talked about by Roger Marble? Could the length of time the chocks are installed and pressing on the tire tread be a factor? Does anyone put their x-chocks on when the trailer is parked for an extended period of time (those who use their trailer at home between trips)?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
This comment hit me. I wonder to what extent using a product like X-Chocks can damage a set of tires? It would depend on how tight the chocks are set while engaged. Couldn't the pressure applied be, in some respects, similar to hitting a rock or curb while driving or the inter-ply shear issues talked about by Roger Marble? Could the length of time the chocks are installed and pressing on the tire tread be a factor? Does anyone put their x-chocks on when the trailer is parked for an extended period of time (those who use their trailer at home between trips)?
X-chocks are very unlikely to cause any tire damage. Tire is cold and not being subjected to any of the forces it's exposed to while driving down road. Ditto for Tire Aids, etc.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #87

I doubt x-chocks will damage tires. After all, tires can get a slight flat spot whilst parked, that seems to work itself out in a few revolutions. The reason the x-chocks no longer fit was likely because the tire, or both tires, experienced belt separation and the tires ballooned making the space between smaller. Someone posted a photo of exactly that issue and the difference in the circumference was significant.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #88
Pickin', Campin', Mason

X-Chocks won't damage a tire(s) any more than the weight of the R/V does to the bottom of a tire(s) sitting stationary. Mine sits for months while wintering in FL or sometimes otherwise with no ill effects whatsoever.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #89

Quote:
I rzn the OE Castle Rocks on my TT for over 20K miles before replacing.
Then how do most CR's only last a few hundred miles, separate while stopped, and explode on a spare rack?

Why would you take a chance with the Chinese grabage tires? Your lucky you didnt have a disaster. I changed mine after a few hundred miles.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #90

Seems like everyone is talking about how bad Castle Rock tires are. I've heard of a few that blew up on the back of an RV as a spare, without ever being on the ground.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #91

Since Castle Rocks are on more trailers than probably any other tire, you would think there would be broken down rigs on every road in the country. Most people have no issues with their tires. If folks want to change out new tires go ahead, but that does not make you any smarter than people who don't and 'get lucky'. Any tire can fail. Dual axle trailer tires take an unbelievable beating. As Mike said get a TPMS, regardless of the tire brand name.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Since Castle Rocks are on more trailers than probably any other tire, you would think there would be broken down rigs on every road in the country. Most people have no issues with their tires. If folks want to change out new tires go ahead, but that does not make you any smarter than people who don't and 'get lucky'. Any tire can fail. Dual axle trailer tires take an unbelievable beating. As Mike said get a TPMS, regardless of the tire brand name.
This^^^^^
Plus- - -

If Castle Rock tires as really as bad as claimed where are the recalls???

A few posts on the internet ,parroted by a few thousand others who may or may not have ever owned Castle Rock tires, does not make them all bad.

Everything we hear and read about Castle Rock tires is purely anecdotal.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:45 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This^^^^^
Plus- - -

If Castle Rock tires as really as bad as claimed where are the recalls???

A few posts on the internet ,parroted by a few thousand others who may or may not have ever owned Castle Rock tires, does not make them all bad.

Everything we hear and read about Castle Rock tires is purely anecdotal.
Anecdotal...

Jayco stopped using Castle rocks and I was told first hand at the dealership it was because they were tired of dealing with tire related problems.

Interesting since they manufacture their own chassis (can't pass the buck on Lippert like FR does).

They aren't the only manufacturer that won't use them anymore.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #94

Years ago Carlisle when through the same problems and in the 50's or so it was US Royal.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Does anyone put their x-chocks on when the trailer is parked for an extended period of time (those who use their trailer at home between trips)?
I do exactly that. It never occurred to me to even think about whether or not X-Chocks could cause damage. We use our trailer in the backyard regularly. The fridge works out well for keeping essentials like Land Shark, Blue Moon and some fruity drinks my wife has learned to love. I even prefer using the trailer’s oven for baking Stromboli. We also camp out in the backyard every now and then just because we like it.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
Then how do most CR's only last a few hundred miles, separate while stopped, and explode on a spare rack?

Why would you take a chance with the Chinese grabage tires? Your lucky you didnt have a disaster. I changed mine after a few hundred miles.
Do you truly believe that most CR tires do what you purport, and at that mileage?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #97

Quote:
Do you truly believe that most CR tires do what you purport, and at that mileage?
Why wouldn't he? After all someone posted that on the internet so it has to be true, right?

My question is has he ever owned Castle Rock tires and had them fail as described or did he just read it somewhere?

Old 09-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #98

So far, so good with my CRs on single axle for 3 seasons and about 6K miles. I am very conscious of checking tire pressure and use TPMS.
I will change when they hit 5 years old to be on safe side.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #99

Quote:
My question is has he ever owned Castle Rock tires and had them fail as described or did he just read it somewhere?

Yes, my new Grey Wolf 27RR came with them. Quickly replaced all 5 with GY Endurance. If you closely examine the Castle Rock tires you will see weak side walls, poor tread design, and no quality control during build. They look cheap, feel cheap, and perform like cheap Chinese crap, so no surprise. Why take chances with them?

There is no way I would risk myself, family, or vehicles by going on long trips with them. I dont think they even have a real website for the company. Use whatever tires you want to but why would you risk it?
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #100

I have noticed that most of the folks that say the CR tires are just fine and have run them for years and millions of miles seem to have lighter RVs, while a lot of the blowout stories seem to have heavier RVs. Might be something to consider....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires