RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 34
Castlerock to Goodyear

Hi all! Hopefully I can get a quick response...

We have a 2018 Rockwood 9206ws which has the original Castlerock tires. Those tires are 225/75 r15 load D.

I am looking at replacing with Goodyear Endurance but they look to be load E.

Will this be a problem in any way? To my understanding load E would be heavier duty than the load D I currently have, right?
__________________
Crookedhalo and Hubs
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2906ws
TV: 2019 F150 XLT w/max tow
Crookedhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,282
My opinion based on experience: Replacing the Castle Rock tires is a good thing, I replaced the Castle Rock tires on my TT after having it for one year with Goodyear Endurance load range "E" tires. Actually I cannot tell any difference in towing but I feel better about the tires knowing they are a better tire and the load range was increased. I researched the Goodyear tires and found out that Goodyear recommended that I run those at 70 PSI. I have had no problems with the Goodyear tires after four years now.
__________________
2015 FR Freedom Express 310BHDS pushing a 2014 GMC Sierra CC
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 320
You are correct. The load range E may require higher air pressure though. This may only be a concern if you carry a small portable inflator. If it’s old and tired it may not be up to the task.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Santa Clarita, California
Posts: 50
I have a similar set up to yours. Last year I replaced the Castelrock d load with Goodyears e. I run them at 80 psi cold and so far I like them.
The tires look much better. Almost no flattening where the tire meets the road and you'll find out that the distance between tire is going to increase a little bit.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,581
I did this very thing about 4 years ago now, posted a thread about it then and there have been a myriad of other threads where folks have done the same.

I run mine at 74 PSI (for my load - follow Goodyear's load chart for YOURS) and I recommend you put metal stems in the wheels.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Mwjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 10
Had a catastrophic failure today. Castle Rock on my 2020 Cherokee Wolf Pack. Trailer is lightly loaded and have towed less than 1000 miles. In all fairness to Castle Rock, I have no idea what caused this and surprisingly there was no physical or audible indication the tire had gone. A fellow motorist alerted me. There was moderate traffic on I-5 as it was around 3:30 this afternoon when I was passing through Albany Oregon. I had stopped at a rest stop to stretch about 15 minutes earlier, however I didn't notice any issue so my conclusion is road debris.

I'll be calling the local Goodyear store here in Eugene tomorrow to see if I can get a set of GY Endurance installed Friday. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_151846.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	246353
__________________
KD7PSN Clark County ARES Team 3
Vancouver, WA
2020 Cherokee Wolf Pack Platinum 23Pack15
2013 F150 Screw 3.5L Eco
Mwjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwjaco View Post
Had a catastrophic failure today. Castle Rock on my 2020 Cherokee Wolf Pack. Trailer is lightly loaded and have towed less than 1000 miles. In all fairness to Castle Rock, I have no idea what caused this and surprisingly there was no physical or audible indication the tire had gone. A fellow motorist alerted me. There was moderate traffic on I-5 as it was around 3:30 this afternoon when I was passing through Albany Oregon. I had stopped at a rest stop to stretch about 15 minutes earlier, however I didn't notice any issue so my conclusion is road debris.

I'll be calling the local Goodyear store here in Eugene tomorrow to see if I can get a set of GY Endurance installed Friday. Attachment 246353
Wow! Glad everyone is safe and no major damage to your rig! Might have been a defective tire (hopefully) as our rig still has the original tires from late 2017 build on it. Have no idea how much mileage original owner put on them, but I know we put at least 1500 miles on between May and November of 2020!
__________________
Crookedhalo and Hubs
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2906ws
TV: 2019 F150 XLT w/max tow
Crookedhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookedhalo View Post
Hi all! Hopefully I can get a quick response...

We have a 2018 Rockwood 9206ws which has the original Castlerock tires. Those tires are 225/75 r15 load D.

I am looking at replacing with Goodyear Endurance but they look to be load E.

Will this be a problem in any way? To my understanding load E would be heavier duty than the load D I currently have, right?
Being the same designated size as the OE tires makes the LRE a good replacement. You need to confirm your wheels are rated for the 80 PSI needed to get maximum load capacity from the LRE tires. I second the earlier recommendation for steel valve stems and metal caps.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwjaco View Post
Had a catastrophic failure today. Castle Rock on my 2020 Cherokee Wolf Pack. Trailer is lightly loaded and have towed less than 1000 miles. In all fairness to Castle Rock, I have no idea what caused this and surprisingly there was no physical or audible indication the tire had gone. A fellow motorist alerted me. There was moderate traffic on I-5 as it was around 3:30 this afternoon when I was passing through Albany Oregon. I had stopped at a rest stop to stretch about 15 minutes earlier, however I didn't notice any issue so my conclusion is road debris.

I'll be calling the local Goodyear store here in Eugene tomorrow to see if I can get a set of GY Endurance installed Friday. Attachment 246353
Good example of why a TPMS is necessary.

Even with my TPMS, I can see all 4 tires in my mirrors and glance at them often.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
badger5301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming, Iowa
Posts: 226
Add us to your list of those that replaced the Castle Rocks with Good Year Endurance. With our weight according to the Good Year load chart we run ours at 74psi. Did get the metal stems and a tpms system.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,583
Just a reminder to everyone talking about the pressure they are running. According to the US Tire & Rim Association who is the source for all tire pressure guides for US designed tires. The pressure on the charts is the MINIMUM pressure required to support the given load. That is not the recommended pressure.

Are you basing your pressure based on 1/4 of the total weight of your trailer? I can pretty much guarantee that you have different actual loads on each tire. You should be running pressures based on the most heavily loaded tire. From what I've read, the difference between highest and lowest loaded tire is probably over 100 lbs. I know it is on my trailer because I had RVSEF do an individual wheel weighing - 8 individual weights for my truck and trailer.
For my trailer, there was a significant difference between tires on the same axle and between front to rear on each side of the trailer. Surprising to me, the front to rear difference was opposite by side - LF heavier than LR and RF lighter than RR.
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
badger5301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming, Iowa
Posts: 226
SailerSam,

I do run ours based on the 1/4 method you mention but I go up a couple psi to give a cushion. According to my cat scale sheet our trailer axles are at 8280Ibs with a fully loaded truck and trailer. 1/4 of that puts me at 2070Ibs per wheel which according to the Load/Inflation chart would be around 50psi. That seems very low to me on a tire rated for 80psi. I run ours at 74psi which gets me into the 2700Ib per tire area which gets me into the 10,800Ibs category.
I'm here to learn so if I'm doing something wrong any advice would be greatly appreciated.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
You are correct. The load range E may require higher air pressure though. This may only be a concern if you carry a small portable inflator. If itís old and tired it may not be up to the task.
Although the Goodyears are rated to carry 80 psi this does not mean they require that much pressure. Pressure should be based on the trailer weight. I run 70 psi.

I made the decision to upgrade to Endurance last summer while changing a blown Castle Rock while on the shoulder of I-20 in 100 degree heat while big trucks were shaking my camper. Two hours later I had four new tires, a second spare, and tremendous peace of mind!
__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2019 Keystone Loredo 290SRL
2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins crew cab
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
SailerSam,

I do run ours based on the 1/4 method you mention but I go up a couple psi to give a cushion. According to my cat scale sheet our trailer axles are at 8280Ibs with a fully loaded truck and trailer. 1/4 of that puts me at 2070Ibs per wheel which according to the Load/Inflation chart would be around 50psi. That seems very low to me on a tire rated for 80psi. I run ours at 74psi which gets me into the 2700Ib per tire area which gets me into the 10,800Ibs category.
I'm here to learn so if I'm doing something wrong any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just find it interesting. The number of folks who publish that you should have a 15-20% reserve margin on the weights your TV is able to pull and also run tires at the minimum for the weight. Personally prior to replacing my tires due to age I was running at >25% over my tire capacity and by upgrading the load range of the tires and the inflation I'm using and am now somewhere around a 50% margin.
From info on the Airstream forum, I saw a post that said Airstream has started installing GY Endurance tires as OEM. When they did, the Airstream increased the recommended pressure to the max cold inflation for the new tire. I know FR posted the recommended pressure on my trailer as the max CIP - giving me that 25% margin.

FWIW, I'm now running with a 50% margin. At some point Roger Marble the guy who runs a RV tire blog flat out recommended that towables always run at their tires max cold inflation.
Also as a point of info, from my weighing, the actual difference between max and min weights per tire was 200 lbs side to side. From the tire inflation guides I've looked at, that means increasing the pressure by at least 5 psi. Note that front to rear the difference was 150 lbs. That was the front tire on one side and rear on the other.

I've also thought about the load placed on a tire while running and going around a bend. Given the geometry of a trailer I suspect it could get quite high. Just things to think about.
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Itís the only known planet with Beer.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My opinion based on experience: Replacing the Castle Rock tires is a good thing, I replaced the Castle Rock tires on my TT after having it for one year with Goodyear Endurance load range "E" tires. Actually I cannot tell any difference in towing but I feel better about the tires knowing they are a better tire and the load range was increased. I researched the Goodyear tires and found out that Goodyear recommended that I run those at 70 PSI. I have had no problems with the Goodyear tires after four years now.


Is that a fact about the 70 # I recently traveled to Florida. With the tpms system I noticed that the pressure started to ramp up to almost 100 pounds. I released to 90. I did have 80 cold when I left Michigan
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Is that a fact about the 70 # I recently traveled to Florida. With the tpms system I noticed that the pressure started to ramp up to almost 100 pounds. I released to 90. I did have 80 cold when I left Michigan
Never adjust tire pressures on a tire anytime other than when it's cold. (not driven and not setting in direct sunlight)

Tire pressures will rise during driving. That is normal and tire manufacturers take that into account.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Never adjust tire pressures on a tire anytime other than when it's cold. (not driven and not setting in direct sunlight)

Tire pressures will rise during driving. That is normal and tire manufacturers take that into account.


Thank you for your help
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Good example of why a TPMS is necessary.

Even with my TPMS, I can see all 4 tires in my mirrors and glance at them often.
Definitly consider installing a TPMS.

People tend to blame the tire failure on tire brand name but it could well have been caused by a simple puncture that went unnoticed until tire got hot enough to come apart.

It's often hard to feel a trailer tire losing air as it's not as close to the drivers behind to feel like if a TV tire was going flat.

A TPMS is a lot quicker warning system than a passing motorist. Often quick enough to stop, put on spare, and still have a repairable tire.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Mwjaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 10
Sounds like TPMS is more than a luxury. I'll be researching that next.
__________________
KD7PSN Clark County ARES Team 3
Vancouver, WA
2020 Cherokee Wolf Pack Platinum 23Pack15
2013 F150 Screw 3.5L Eco
Mwjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 837
Yes, going up to load range E is a good idea, but you need to know your weight on the tires and adjust your psi downwards as indicated on the tire mfrgs. table.
__________________
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears;
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.