Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Check TV tire warranty before buying

Lesson learned today: Some tire stores will sell, mount, balance, and install new tires on your TV with NO warranty. I went out pricing new tires for my '14 GMC Sierra which has the factory P255/70-15 MS tires on it. I asked them to quote something in a higher weight rating such as a "D" or maybe even an "E" rated tire. All four places, Goodyear, Firestone, General Tire, and Kaufman Tire told me that they could/would put these tires on my truck but they would have NO warranty at all. The local Sam's Club does not carry nor will order the "D" or "E" rated tires. The reason at each place was the same: IF we put a tire on your vehicle that is not what the manufacturer recommends and is not what is on the sticker on the door jamb then the warranty is void--period. At prices quoted from $882--$1022 for four tires mounted, balanced, and placed on the truck there is no way I can accept a NO warranty clause. Those are the only four new tire stores in town now as the locally owned "Mom & Pop" stores have all closed up. All four stores also had large signs in the store front area "We DO NOT mount tires bought other than at this store". Surfing the internet and I find a locally owned tire store some 75 miles away, called them and they will do an "E" rated Toyo tire with 60K warranty. Looks like I may have to take a ride to get tires.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Call your local Diacount tire if you have one and ask them.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

I buy my tires online, and just call around to find the cheapest place that will mount, balance and give my truck an alignment.

Right now I'm using some really nice Nokians.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Bridgestone Duellers,been useing them since 2000.Never needed the warranty.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Sounds a little strange to me. But in the end I would buy what I want, warranty or not.

I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had to use a tire warranty.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

I know when I purchased my Firestone Transforce HD tires for my TV they clearly stated that the LT tires had no warranty.
Not a big deal for me as anytime I have ever had a tire issue I was always told it wasn't covered under warranty anyway.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Casey & Carolyn

I would try Discount Tire. My 2015 Ram 2500 had less than 3000 miles on it and some how I managed to put a 16 penny nail head first into the side wall. I have dealt with Discount Tire for many years so I stopped in. Had to order in the Tire to match what my truck came with from the factory. Couple days later I went in to have the tire mounted up. My salesman asked if I wanted warranty. I told him I did not think it would make much sense to put warranty on just one tire. He told me he would put warranty on all my tires for $40.00 ea. Which includes road hazard and lifetime rotation and balance. Didn't take me long to do the math. It cost me $40.00 each time I have my tires rotated. Need less to say I left there with warranty.
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
Site Team

I ordered my Michelin LREs at Walmart.com and they balanced, mounted and included road Hazzard warranty and free rotation every 3000 miles.
Also took my fiver to Walmart to upgrade tires to LRD. Balanced​ but would not include road hazard on trailer tires.
I think if you keep looking, you'll find someone to do your tires with regular warranty. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #9

In reply to Thurman re no warranty. Are you looking for a manufactures warranty, mileage warranty, or road hazard warranty? All major tire manufactures LT (light truck) tires come with a warranty in regards to the tire itself,or defects in workmanship or materials, which lasts for 4 or 5 years from the date of manufacture, but none to my knowledge carry a mileage warranty or road hazard unless the seller, like Walmart put it on themselves and if you have a problem, you have to go back to Walmart with your documents, and the tire. Even though the "Walmarts" of this world carry major tire brands like, Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, etc, the tire manufactures themselves will not honor the seller's warranty for mileage or road hazard. WHY? Well due to all the off-shore cheap tires that everyone complains about, to compete something had to give. At a previous tire shop wear I worked , we offered a road hazard warranty, $5.00/tire extra, but you had to come to us for warranty. If you had a problem say 500 miles away, you had to replace if necessary the tire at your expense, plus haul the failed tire back to use, to get warranty based of remaining treadwear, on a pro rated bases. Then the prorating is based on the manufactures retail price, not the selling price, so in the end, you the consumer are better off without RH, and just replace the tire as cheaply as you can when and if you have a problem.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Discount Tire

I've spent hundreds of dollars on hazard warranties at Discount Tires. They always honored them, even when my son hit a rock big enough to break the wheel, but I haven't had an issue with an LT tire in 25 years or more. I think it is cheaper not to pay for the warranty.

Passenger car tires on gravel roads are another issue. Many flats from driving too fast on gravel. Most 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs come with passenger car tires now because the ride is so mush smoother. I spend lots of time off pavement, so the LT tires are the only ones I buy.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

We do not have a "Discount Tire", nor "Pep Boys". Sure wish we did. I have managed to find a locally, family owned tire store only 25 miles from here and their pricing is competitive. I did check with the local Wal-Mart and they were the same as local Sam's Club--they do not carry, nor will order "D" or "E" rated tires.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #12

I like my Toyo's. I got nearly 75k miles out of my last set of AT 2's, load range E. I just had a new set installed on my 2007 F150. I put Toyo HT's, load range E on my 2013 F150, only have about 15k on them currently.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
We do not have a "Discount Tire", nor "Pep Boys". Sure wish we did. I have managed to find a locally, family owned tire store only 25 miles from here and their pricing is competitive. I did check with the local Wal-Mart and they were the same as local Sam's Club--they do not carry, nor will order "D" or "E" rated tires.
I ordered E's from Walmart​.com for my TV, and the store had goodyear marathon LRD in stock for my RV. Only problem I have is when I get oil changed and tires rotated, they keep letting my psi down to 35 per the door sticker for the p tires that came on the truck. If I can remember to remind them, they'll set it at 70 psi for me.
I guess different stores do it differently. Hope op finds what he needs.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Lesson learned today: Some tire stores will sell, mount, balance, and install new tires on your TV with NO warranty. I went out pricing new tires for my '14 GMC Sierra which has the factory P255/70-15 MS tires on it. I asked them to quote something in a higher weight rating such as a "D" or maybe even an "E" rated tire. All four places, Goodyear, Firestone, General Tire, and Kaufman Tire told me that they could/would put these tires on my truck but they would have NO warranty at all. The local Sam's Club does not carry nor will order the "D" or "E" rated tires. The reason at each place was the same: IF we put a tire on your vehicle that is not what the manufacturer recommends and is not what is on the sticker on the door jamb then the warranty is void--period. At prices quoted from $882--$1022 for four tires mounted, balanced, and placed on the truck there is no way I can accept a NO warranty clause. Those are the only four new tire stores in town now as the locally owned "Mom & Pop" stores have all closed up. All four stores also had large signs in the store front area "We DO NOT mount tires bought other than at this store". Surfing the internet and I find a locally owned tire store some 75 miles away, called them and they will do an "E" rated Toyo tire with 60K warranty. Looks like I may have to take a ride to get tires.
Howdy Thurman, as I was reading your post I was noticing some anomalies. The first was the tire size. I haven't seen a 15" wheel diameter on any of the Big Three's full size trucks since around 2000. Are you sure it's not a 17 inch tire.....and if so, are you perhaps trying to price an incorrect 15 inch diameter tire, which would not be available in the Load Range D/E ?

As previously stated, there are different types of tire warranties, that cover different things. You may have a manufacturer treadlife/mileage warranty, a manufacturer materials/workmanship warranty..... and a road hazard warranty that could be manufacturer or dealer.

Usually only P-metric tires come with a treadlife/mileage warranty, but there are a few LT tires that also have it.

Many dealers (I know Wal-Mart corp isn't supposed to) will not place a tire "size" on your vehicle that doesn't match the door jamb...but did put a higher rated tire on with no problem. They could now be concerned with wheel ratings and valve stems problems, with putting on a tire that isn't on the door jamb and runs at higher air pressures. They may also have run into TPMS problems too, since the OE TPMS air pressure thresh holds would be different.

Most of the time, there was a lawsuit somewhere that caused such. I could easily envision a lawsuit from where a valve stem or wheel failed and it got traced back to and blamed on the installer for placing a tire that wasn't on the door jamb.

Are these dealers stating that if you go up to a LT tire that you won't have any of the 3 possible warranties, or maybe just the treadlife one?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #15

Thurman have yountried tirerack.com . They have a great selection and will find installers near you that you can have the tires sent directly to for installation. As for warranties i could not answer that question but I'm sure tirerack can. I either get my tires from there and go somewhere local to mount and balance or sears as always treated me good with trying to price match tirerack but they are on the verge of going out of business so i would be careful of a warranty there.
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

"wmtire", OOOPS, you caught that and I had proof read my post. NO, I do not have 15" rims, they are indeed 17" rims on the '14 GMC Sierra. Your comment about tire sales places not putting a different sized tire is correct also. When I went to the local Kaufmann, Firestone, General, and Goodyear tire stores they all looked in their little magic boxes and told me that they could not get a 255 sized tire in the LT series. The next size up in the LT series would be 265, not that much difference. ALL of these stores told me that the LT series tires would NOT have any warranty IF placed on my truck. The reason being that my truck is a 1500, not 2500 or better. Weird to me but, mounting these tires on a 2500 or better truck would get you a warranty. Having only these four (4) tire stores in this town is not good and Kaufmann has been here less than a year.
"Boborc" All of the tire stores in this town, all four of them, have signs in their showroom stating that they WILL NOT mount tires bought anywhere else other than that store. The best I could do would be to order tires shipped to my home, take them 30 miles to an independent (locally owned) tire store and they will mount them @ $15 per tire, plus balancing, front end alignment, etc. Maybe not a bad deal though.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:59 AM   #17

I brought it online.
Merln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

You might check with your local Chevy/GMC dealership, they may be willing mount tires bought online....I know my local dealer mounted a set that I bought at Sam's a few years ago.

Good luck!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, tire, warranty