Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #1

Checking inside tire pressure

2016 Ford F350 6.7 diesel 17" dully wheels. Problem getting to inside rear tire valves. Just added Crossfire pressure equalizers. Problem solved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1541879657619739312062.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	191156  
fifth wheelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Factory stems on my truck are easy to get to using a standard truck air chuck. I’m kind of scared to use something equalizing pressure unless it contained some sort of check valve to keep the adjoining tire from loosing air too..Click image for larger version

Name:	1664061A-1D36-472E-9446-3838E795D023-9741-000006552C80F7AD.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	191159
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

Unit has internal check valves to isolate a tire if it goes 10 psi below the set pressure. See Home - Dual Dynamics for more info. Thanx for the response.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

I looked at the site, how do you put a TPMS on the dually
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

adding TPMS to motorhome with duallies

I submitted this to Forest River's design dept. Forest River does not see fit to include any TPMS option on the Forester, Sunseeker and probably most of their other rigs. I feel this is an oversight and will explain why and what I did about it, in hopes it ultimately reaches the design engineers.

There are many reasons why a good TPMS option is almost essential these days. The fact that almost all new car manufacturers including Ford include internal sensors on all their new cars today, is reason enough to make these standard equipment on motorhomes. There is plenty of data available to shows the dangers of blowouts on motorhomes, and this danger only increases as tires age. It is incumbent on motorhome owners to protect and watch their tires carefully and replace them as needed, and on a time schedule even if appearance and treadwear do not dictate this. I think this is inarguable.

I decided long ago, that a good TPMS system is cheap insurance on a big Class A unit given the cost of those tires. If a tire has a slow leak the driver often does not know about it until it is too late and it either causes a blowout or at the very least has let the pressure run so low that the sidewalls of the tire have been ruined, and the cost of a single big rig 22" tire is as much or more than the cost of a TPMS system. So TPMS is cheap insurance for that reason alone. Where almost all motorhomes today have duallies on the back, it should be obvious that a flat on an inside dually may never be visible until it is too late, making it quite likely that driver is driving down a highway with all the rear weight on one side totally supported on a single tire, thereby greatly increasing the chances of a blowout on that tire from overload. But even on a Class C where the tires are more in the $200 range, safety and convenience and timing on the road make a good TPMS invaluable. And yet only a small percentage of motorhome owners have a TPMS system, and thanks to manufacturers who don't include them as standard equipment, or at least optional equipment, owners may not even know about them.

Therefore I think it is incumbent upon industry leaders like Forest River to offer TPMS as an option on all their rigs, if not as standard equipment which industry leaders like FR should seriously consider. I have installed external tire pressure sensors on other motorhomes I have had, which then communicate with a dash mounted display to provide the driver with a constant readout on the pressures on all 6 or 8 tires and sound alarms when the psi falls below a pre-set minimum (or above a maximum). This always worked well but I found it very difficult to install this kind of system on my Forester because of the use of the stainless Dicor_Fastliner- style wheel inserts. Making it even more difficult is Forest River's decision to use cheap screw on valve extensions to bring the valve stems out to the outside where they are accessible for adding air. Thus a screw on external Tire pressure sensor might be on top of two or more screw on extensions, thereby great increasing the likelihood of introducing slow leaks.

Since I had a system with external screw on sensors, saved from an earlier Class A, I tried this route first with little success. The multiple valve extensions and stainless wheel inserts made it all but impossible to get it right. I ordered a set of Duallyvalve.com solid one piece valves of the proper length custom designed for a Ford E450, purchased from accu-pressure.com. While these reached thru the stainless wheel lines for attaching an air pressure chuck to add air, it was still very difficult or screw on the sensors due to clearance issues without using short valve extenders, defeating the purpose of the custom one piece valves.

Finally, after some research I discovered the Dill Air internal system
1506-453 Trailer TPMS System With 6 Sensors
available as a 6 tire system perfect for a class C motorhome with duallies on the rear. I had the internal sensors installed by lesschwab.com with a banded/cradle setup ordered from tirerack.com
6 BAND14/26IN ADJUSTABLE FORD TPMS STRAP 13.00ea
6 1025U DILL CRADLES FOR TRAILER TPMS 2.00ea

I used the brass Duallyvalve.com solid one piece valves to bring each valve stem out to where an air chuck could be fitted easily to add air when needed. Total cost was around $800 or so but now I have the ideal system to keep a careful eye on my tires.

I take the time to explain this carefully in hopes that FR will eventually decide it is good business to offer this system as an option, if not as standard equipment, on all their RV's.

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Thanks fifth wheelen for sharing. I have this issue with my dually. TPMS sensors only on outside wheels, no room inside. And I still have to monkey with air chuck shown above to get inside wheel aired up. I'm not a fan of extenders, etc because of more leak points.

Jbrosecity, I like that set up but Do they not have regular sensor valves, i.e. car style, not banded? Maybe I need to re-visit your post and Dill Co. , to better understand.
Thanks.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

My truck was purchased used & came from Canada. I found out that TPMS is not required there. I’m thinking about installing 1 external sensor on each of the Crossfire units to monitor the rear tires collectively. Not a perfect solution but at least it will give an indication of a leak.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #8

herewego... yes dill air does sell the normal internal sensors... that is what are mounted in the banded cradles inside my wheels.
you will note from the image that they have regular valves stems and can be mounted on normal steel wheels (without wheel covers) or on alloy rims, but the stainless steel dicor-style inserts prevent this except with an extension... ditto on the duallies... the outer rim on the dual has the valve stem pointed inwards and of course the inner dual is totally inaccessible for a normal short valve stem. Dill Air clearly states you cannot use anything but plastic caps on their sensors which would rule out most valve extensions. I mean you might be able to use an all plastic valve extension, but as others agree, anytime you use a valve extension you open up the possibility of leaks. That is why I went with the banded installation... and then installed the special custom long valves from duallyvalve.com as also shown in the image. Now I have good reliable sensors inside each wheel and one piece metal valve stems that reach right out thru the stainless wheel inserts with no extensions necessary. NOTE... when I first tried just the long valves, I STILL couldn't get external sensors to screw on to the tips because of clearance issues with the wheel inserts. I finally gave up on that approach and bought the Dill Air internal set and am very pleased with it. Not cheap but REALLY works!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #9

Got it. Jbrosecity, thanks for the explanation. I'm going to look at this set up and the OP's as well. My outer wheel is aluminum, inner is steel. Inner never seems to loose pressure, but of course I still have to check it routinely. I have the Minder TPMS now on truck and fiver, but not on the inner dually, last piece of the puzzle. TPMS is non-blowthru style. PITA to air up. My buddy has a class B+ with same problem as OP, Dicor inserts but has extenders. Noisy and come loose.
Didn't mean to highjack this conversation but its good info from all here. Thanks again.
Oh by the way, agree that TPMS should be "at least" an option and back up lights should be mandatory.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

Why should back up lights be mandatory. TPMS are different brands plus trucks sometimes come with TPMS.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #11

Checking Inside Tire Pressure

I have a 2018 Coachmen 21RS Freelander with dually rears. I purchased the EEZ Tire TPMS system. I discarded the steel wheel inserts and was able to screw the sensors on both the inside and the outside tires. Yes you have to take the sensors off to check/add air, but they screw back on the valve stem. So far happy with the system. You can set high and low air pressure for each tire. Monitor gives you air pressure and TEMPERATURE.
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

herewego - yeah if your outer wheel is aluminum without the insert and has the valve on the outside, you can use any screw on external sensor. Inside wheel is a different story. I was NOT about to crawl under there every time I wanted to check the air pressure... too old for that crap. And I did try the original FR plastic extension which was not long enough to poke thru the outer wheel far enough to screw on the sensors without a second extension - and then it was losing air. So I finally gave up, looked around and found this Dill Air system which I LOVE.

thepeddler - I feel your pain about unscrewing the sensor every time you wanna add air. The external screw-on system I have is from Hawkshead and has flow thru sensors. Used it on a previous coach and thought sure I could use it on the Forester. I changed out all the batteries and tried to set it up only to realize the stainless inserts prevented me from doing it without extensions on every valve stem. I had my tire dealer put on longer stems only to find out I STILL couldn't make it work. I wasn't willing to give up the stainless inserts. I thought about switching over to custom wheels but that was pretty expensive and there was still the issue of the inner duallies and finding long enough stems to do it without extensions, so I gave up and found the Dill Air system. I have the Hawkshead system up for sale on craigslist if anyone is interested. Listed for $450, but I'll sell it for $350 to a forum member. It has 8 flow thru sensors and 4 cap type sensors and retail is about $800.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...739268081.html
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #13

This is a cheap alternative..

AstroAI Digital Tire Pressure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX3H1G?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Works well on the rear tires of my F350 Dually.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, pressure, tire