Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #181

Quote:
Negotiate a tire change as part of the purchase.
The RV dealer can replace brands. However, they are prohibited by regulations to change designated sizes. The regulation is an across the board regulation applicable to all vehicles built under the guidance of FMVSS (standards). It reads; tires on the vehicle at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as those identified on the vehicle's federal certification label.

Note: A ST225/75R15 LRD can be changed by the dealer to a LRE. Load ranges are not part of a tire's designated size and the LRE will provide an identical load capacity as the LRD at 65 PSI.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #182
JCR

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...d=ii_ksevb5xv0
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #183

Quote:
they are prohibited by regulations to change designated sizes.

Not sure about that one. Dealers change tires and wheels for customers or even for showroom vehicles before you buy. They install larger ones of course not smaller. Just go in any new vehicle dealership and look at the Ford, Chevy, Jeep, and Ram 4X4's. You may see several with lift kits and larger (different) tires than the label specifies. I suppose we should call the tire police?
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
Not sure about that one. Dealers change tires and wheels for customers or even for showroom vehicles before you buy.......I suppose we should call the tire police?

Airdale is correct. Regardless, people do the opposite all the time. The bottom line, I think, is that most of us, if not all, increase tire capacity to ensure a better margin of safety, carrying capacity and stronger tire. So, no harm, no foul, other than not being IAW the regs. I can't recall anyone ever saying they were looking to put a worse tire on their RV.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #185

Quote:
Not sure about that one. Dealers change tires and wheels for customers or even for showroom vehicles before you buy. They install larger ones of course not smaller. Just go in any new vehicle dealership and look at the Ford, Chevy, Jeep, and Ram 4X4's. You may see several with lift kits and larger (different) tires than the label specifies. I suppose we should call the tire police?
Automotive vehicles often have more than one option approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

RV trailers seldom have optional tires offered. When they do they will be installed before first sale and the certification label will refelect the change.

For dealers, changing wheels and tires without vehicle manufacture approval before or after first sale is very risky. They would become responsible for any material failures linked to the unauthorized tire/wheel changes they made.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #186

Quote:
For dealers, changing wheels and tires without vehicle manufacture approval before or after first sale is very risky. They would become responsible for any material failures linked to the unauthorized tire/wheel changes they made.

Thats absurd. So you think the trailers are safer with Castle Rock trash than a dealer installing Goodyears as part of the sale? You can't be serious. For example my 27RR came with 205 / 14 load range C, Castle Rocks new. I quickly changed that to 215 / 14 load range D Goodyear Endurance. So my trailer is now less safe?

No logical person here is going to listen to your tire advice. You should stop trying to confuse people who are making their trailers safer.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:57 AM   #187

Quote:
Thats absurd. So you think the trailers are safer with Castle Rock trash than a dealer installing Goodyears as part of the sale? You can't be serious. For example my 27RR came with 205 / 14 load range C, Castle Rocks new. I quickly changed that to 215 / 14 load range D Goodyear Endurance. So my trailer is now less safe? Your trailer is out of compliance with its federal certification label. A well trained tire installer would not have let that happen.

No logical person here is going to listen to your tire advice. You should stop trying to confuse people who are making their trailers safer.
I did not mention brands and neither do the regulations and standards. Brands are a personal choice.

The selling dealer MUST comply with the following statement. A violation by them could cause an entire model recall action.

The following statement reefers.

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.3: The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling.

There is a lot of hearsay information about tires and wheels. I try very hard to stick to the facts.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I did not mention brands and neither do the regulations and standards. Brands are a personal choice.

The selling dealer MUST comply with the following statement. A violation by them could cause an entire model recall action.

The following statement reefers.

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.3: The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling.

There is a lot of hearsay information about tires and wheels. I try very hard to stick to the facts.
I read your comments a lot and it seems like each one is hung up on "at first retail sale".
Once the paperwork is signed that is the first sale. After this point if a customer chooses to change tires there should be no issue. No different than changing tires 1,000 miles down the road. Its now considered an aftermarket part in my view. If the new tire grenades there is no warranty to fix it either way (OEM vs aftermarket). The customer will have to lean on their insurance policy to repair the damages.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:51 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
I read your comments a lot and it seems like each one is hung up on "at first retail sale".
Once the paperwork is signed that is the first sale. After this point if a customer chooses to change tires there should be no issue. No different than changing tires 1,000 miles down the road. Its now considered an aftermarket part in my view. If the new tire grenades there is no warranty to fix it either way (OEM vs aftermarket). The customer will have to lean on their insurance policy to repair the damages.
My responses to tire issues are about what is supposed to happen and is based upon information from the governing body (NHTSA & their standards wing, FMVSS, the Tire & Rim Association (TRA) the US Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA). I also use PDF information from well established tire manufacturers.

There are procedures for just about everything tires. Let's say a consumer changes out their ST235/80R16 with ST235/85R16. By all tire industry standards that's called "plus sizing". There are procedures for that action that protects the field and re-validates the tire placards. Those that don’t use the proper procedure have no recommended cold inflation pressures except those that satisfy them on each event.

Tire warranty information is mandated by NHTSA to be published in the vehicle owner's manual. It must provide the tire brand name, Manufacturer/wholesaler and a valid contact address/phone number.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #190

damn china bomb got one of my renters this weekend. first timers. felt bad for them, they were so nervous to the point of asking me if i was nervous. im convinced sometimes people wish it upon themselves. luckily they chose the top insurance tier, but not sure what more itll cost over the deductible.

fwiw - 2 year old popup, nothing loaded but the empty camper itself. not sure how fast they were traveling, it detonated on the interstate with 70 mph speed limit so speed couldve been a factor. Ridgeway sport st145r12

pics uploaded all crazy angles just rotate your monitor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F71F5C80-491A-4CCD-AA95-F2B900436A7D.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	263113   Click image for larger version

Name:	98410769-F90E-49EC-8937-BA308BC45438.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	263114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB59C3A8-98DE-4ACD-BBE7-E725CF43E71D.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	263115  
jcrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #191
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm beginning to think Kevlar wheel wells should be mandatory equipment.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #192

If I recall, they were Firestone 721 tires and they were manufactured incorrectly. I blew up two of them in twoTroop Cars I was driving. Scared the crap out of me both times.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaskell View Post
If I recall, they were Firestone 721 tires and they were manufactured incorrectly. I blew up two of them in twoTroop Cars I was driving. Scared the crap out of me both times.
According to some old internal memos the 721's were being produced with little or no prior testing. This right after the largest recall of tires in history, the Firestone 500.

These two "events" are believed by many to have brought about the end of Firestone of old and Bridgestone taking top billing on the signage.

The 70's were a bad decade for tire mfr's as radials were taking over the market. US manufacturers wanted to build them like they did the tires the companies were built on but they eventually had to learn from the Europeans who'd pretty much perfected process by then.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #194

I have about 1000 miles on my 2021 Surveyor but after reading this thread and others like it I decided to change the tires. I was able to snag 2 Endurances at my local Discount Tire at a reasonable price. I will get a Carlisle for the spare.

in talking to the very nice man at Discount, he said someone had brought in a Castle Rock recently that was a spare, 2 years old, always under the spare tire cover, that randomly self-destructed. he also said that Goodyear had recently allocated their remaining stock of Endurances to Discount tire and OEM's.
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #195

in case you thought this was an anomoly

Other tire blew on a different renter about a month and a half later, 3 rentals later. Of course I’m diligent about pressures and checking the tires before it goes out. No other damage thankfully. Taking all 6 China Bombs on all my campers out of service today for good tires. This is a 2020 model year camper!!! maybe 2000 miles on it. I thought it was a joke when the dealer called them that to try to sell me extra warranty. Unbelievable!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED3FF387-7C77-4E39-B3E5-083885F9AFD7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	265151   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECBA6BA0-3F6F-4EFF-BC30-83808CFFAAD5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	705.8 KB
ID:	265152  
Old 11-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrevs View Post
Other tire blew on a different renter about a month and a half later, 3 rentals later. Of course I’m diligent about pressures and checking the tires before it goes out. No other damage thankfully. Taking all 6 China Bombs on all my campers out of service today for good tires. This is a 2020 model year camper!!! maybe 2000 miles on it. I thought it was a joke when the dealer called them that to try to sell me extra warranty. Unbelievable!!!
Rental? Smaller, light, trailer?

Guessing the issue is not your diligence in taking care of the tires but rather the renter's ignorance regarding towing speed. I see small travel trailers passing me when I'm not towing and cruising along at 75 or so.

You know the expression " drive it like you rented it"?

Want a real eye-opener? Install a hidden dash-cam with GPS and large SD card. When returned pull the card and look at speeds shown on recordings. A dash cam is probably cheaper than other gps devices used by fleets.

Car rental companies started doing this years ago and fine (per contract) renters for excessive speed.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Rental? Smaller, light, trailer?

Guessing the issue is not your diligence in taking care of the tires but rather the renter's ignorance regarding towing speed. I see small travel trailers passing me when I'm not towing and cruising along at 75 or so.

You know the expression " drive it like you rented it"?

Want a real eye-opener? Install a hidden dash-cam with GPS and large SD card. When returned pull the card and look at speeds shown on recordings. A dash cam is probably cheaper than other gps devices used by fleets.

Car rental companies started doing this years ago and fine (per contract) renters for excessive speed.
I guess anything is possible but doubtful with this couple, they were season citizen retired couple. Tires are rated for 70mph I would hope this rating had some safety factor built in. Also, both blowouts happened within a month of each other, after 2 years of travel.

Regardless all 6 stock tires will have been banished to the boat dock by this weekend.

PS i believe the saying is drive it like you stole it
Old 11-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #198
Trailer Park Supervisor

Brand would help. Not all tires made in China become bombs.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Brand would help. Not all tires made in China become bombs.
posted in an earlier post. ridgeway sport without the nuclear head option

other camper's castlerocks that will be changed preemptively with goodyears
Old 11-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrevs View Post
I guess anything is possible but doubtful with this couple, they were season citizen retired couple. Tires are rated for 70mph I would hope this rating had some safety factor built in. Also, both blowouts happened within a month of each other, after 2 years of travel.

Regardless all 6 stock tires will have been banished to the boat dock by this weekend.

PS i believe the saying is drive it like you stole it
Unless you are Tony Beets, the much censired character on the Discovery Channel's "Gold Rush". That was advice he recently gave his daughter.

Having been a frequent renter of cars in my career I can attest there is truth to that.

As Tireman9 has pointed out numerous times a tire failure often has it's genesis many miles prior to it's "exodus" where the tread leaves.