Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Attached is a photo of the sidewall of the "good" tire. Sure seems like a tread separation and catastrophic failure was about to occur. No signs of striking a road hazard and the tire still has 65psi.
Most signs of road hazard strikes are more visible inside the tire. However some signs of road hazard strikes are not visible unless doing a "autopsy" on the tire by a trained engineer.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #42

Count me in for a law suit!!!
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #43

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5630.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	252530
Go figure
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post

Is this you?
Old 04-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
I wish posters would be specific about which tires failed for them (some have been, but many have not). Many of us consider Westlakes (which are on our R-Pod and have gone >10,000 miles) to be a pretty good tire versus what we hear about Castle Rocks. I would like to know if any Westlakes have exploded.
I ran the OEM Westlakes on my 2014 Rockwood A-frame for 4 years. They had an estimated 12K miles when I sold it in 2018. However, it looked like belt separation was starting to happen when the buyer and I examined the tires carefully.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame (still has 3 year old OEM Castle Rocks)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
Happened on the Florida turnpike this spring. China's revenge!!

less than 3 years old and I took better care of these tires than any set of tires I have ever owned.

for what its worth castle rock 205 75 R14D

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
Been there done that with both Chinese and Indonesian tires. I've got MAXXIS on right now and they have been great so far. I will say that many problems are "pilot error". My favorite error is upgrading from load range C to load range E without upgrading the stems. Boom!
Where are Maxxis manufactured?
Old 04-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Where are Maxxis manufactured?
From Wikipedia:

Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. (Chinese: 正新橡膠工業股份有限公司; pinyin: Zhèngxīn Xiàngjiāo Gōngyè Gǔfèn Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī) is the ninth largest tire company in the world. Established in 1967, in Yuanlin City, Changhua County, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis Tyres and CST tires are a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin.[1]

The company began as a producer of bicycle tyres and has since expanded into other types of tyres, including for motor vehicles. In 2015 Cheng Shin had worldwide revenue of over $3.85 billion.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxxis...20Cheng%20Shin.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
From Wikipedia:

Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. (Chinese: 正新橡膠工業股份有限公司; pinyin: Zhèngxīn Xiàngjiāo Gōngyè Gǔfèn Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī) is the ninth largest tire company in the world. Established in 1967, in Yuanlin City, Changhua County, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis Tyres and CST tires are a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin.[1]

The company began as a producer of bicycle tyres and has since expanded into other types of tyres, including for motor vehicles. In 2015 Cheng Shin had worldwide revenue of over $3.85 billion.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxxis...20Cheng%20Shin.
Actually the M8008 trailer tire is manufactured in Thailand.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Actually the M8008 trailer tire is manufactured in Thailand.
So....The Toyota Tacoma is manufactured in the USA but its still a Japanese truck

Full disclosure: I really liked my old Tacoma but my needs exceeded its capacity.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #51
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

I just did the same on my 21FBRS about 2 weeks ago...wanting to take trip later this summer

Christopher J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Tires just don’t blow up without pressure or tire temperature rise. The OP must have had a slow leak ,low pressure or over loaded which caused the blow out. A TPMS could have saved a lot of this damage including the tire.
Sorry, cheap ST tires have been known to strip their treads and blow without warning. There have even been cases reported on this and other RV forums, and on boating forums, where spare tires suddenly blew out for no reason. I personally had a sudden blowout 10 miles from home, and I had set cold pressure properly before heading out.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Sorry, cheap ST tires have been known to strip their treads and blow without warning. There have even been cases reported on this and other RV forums, and on boating forums, where spare tires suddenly blew out for no reason. I personally had a sudden blowout 10 miles from home, and I had set cold pressure properly before heading out.
thanks for the support, the blown tire showed no discoloration from heat or wear on the shoulders from low air pressure. The tire tread just suddenly separated from the casing as the cracks in the "good" tire appear to show. All good now with 2 new GY Endurance tires.
Now to figure out how to repair the damage to the trailer belly behind the wheel well.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Many fine quality products are manufactured in China by skilled tradespeople lets stop this anti Chinese sentiment it hurts too may good people.

Many junk products are manufactured in China also. There have been numerous Chines tire failures. The problem in many instances with Chinese manufacturing is their lack of Process Control. That's why one tire, refrigerator, washer, etc. will last years while another lasts weeks. Just too bad our jobs were shipped there in the name of corporate profits, often for pennies. I buy American whenever possible to support our country and will have any sentiment I deem appropriate.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
...... lets stop this anti Chinese sentiment it hurts too may good people.
My Dear Sir, I will remain civil so the thread is not pulled because tires are an important safety-related subject. There is considerable reason to label Chinese ST tires as sub-standard, or "China bombs," based on their poor construction and anecdotal evidence of failures vis-a-vis tires made elsewhere. That doesn't mean all Chinese tires are bombs, nor does it reflect poorly on Chinese people as a whole. In fact, the Chinese-made Sailun tire is well-constructed and appreciated. The same can be said of Chinese products made to ISO standards.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
My Dear Sir, I will remain civil so the thread is not pulled because tires are an important safety-related subject. There is considerable reason to label Chinese ST tires as sub-standard, or "China bombs," based on their poor construction and anecdotal evidence of failures vis-a-vis tires made elsewhere. That doesn't mean all Chinese tires are bombs, nor does it reflect poorly on Chinese people as a whole. In fact, the Chinese-made Sailun tire is well-constructed and appreciated. The same can be said of Chinese products made to ISO standards.

Some people fail to follow weight, speed and inflation requirements which end up creating the tire to fail. Most people will not admit its there fault the tire failed.

A TPMS system can help make any tire last longer.

I agree there are many good brands of foreign tires.
If the Toyota Tundra is considered a foreign truck since it has foreign parts but built in America then Good Year endurance is a foreign tire.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Hmm, sounds like virtue signaling and political opinion to me, thanks for sharing
You do know, I hope, that China has the largest hydroelectric dam in the world, has stealth fighters and aircraft carriers. Has sent astronauts into space and retrieved samples of soil from the moon. Is planning missions to Mars. Has nuclear bombs and missles which can reach all of the world. And many many more things that rival or equal America.

The problem is not the Chinese manufacturers as these accomplishments indicate, but it is the AMERICAN Corporations who go to China and ask, “How cheap can you make a tire. We need more profit and the dumb Americans don’t know any better”. Look within.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
You do know, I hope, that China has the largest hydroelectric dam in the world, has stealth fighters and aircraft carriers. Has sent astronauts into space and retrieved samples of soil from the moon. Is planning missions to Mars. Has nuclear bombs and missles which can reach all of the world. And many many more things that rival or equal America.

The reason they have that advanced technology is because of intellectual property theft, which they have been getting away with for years. That is until efforts in the very recent past and now bipartisan efforts are taking shape to put an end to it.

Also, no need to look "within" as Chinese manufacturers are known to cut corners to increase production. Companies that want to maintain standards have people in place to monitor production.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #59

To follow up on that getting the price down on products. I bought my Nissan Titan half ton with tow package. One day I am in the driveway with my son. He exclaimed "hey look at your tires". Well the tread was almost gone and I only got 20 thousand miles on them. I went back to the dealer. Who the heck gets 20 thousand miles off new tires! The solution was to try to sell me new tires. I left and never went back. Nest stop my friendly tire store close to my house. Talking to the tire tech I told him I was astounded that I only got 20,000 miles off new tires. He wasn't. He said most car manufacturers contract tire brands to make tires for them The winner is the lowest cost (bottom line). Not sure if this is germane but I never doubted the safety of the tires, just the longevity suffered. Can the same be said for the china bombs?

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #60

When is the last time you had your rig weighed? RVs have surprisingly little cargo capacity, and many, many rigs are overloaded. Not saying the tires are not the problem, but compounding that problem by carrying extra weight certainly doesn't help.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote