Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #61

I second the motion for a lawsuit against Forest River because they have known about this problem for YEARs and have done NOTHING to correct the problem... what has to happen, have a couple of families die???? That happened with Firestone back in the ‘70’s....
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I second the motion for a lawsuit against Forest River because they have known about this problem for YEARs and have done NOTHING to correct the problem... what has to happen, have a couple of families die???? That happened with Firestone back in the ‘70’s....

Forest river is not at fault. Tires were fine when they installed them.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #63

With between 9 to 11 million rvs owned in the US with an average of 4 tires per trailer ( just a guess between 3 axle trailers and single) that’s 44 million tires. An average of 400k new rvs a year its 1.6 million tires. Before one calls for lawsuits, questions need to be answered
1) how many China bombs are put on trailers.
2) what is the failure rate of the tire.
3) what percentage of the failure rate can be directly related to poor quality of the tire. Not the user running something over, or improper care, old age, not proper inflation.
After one can provide those numbers then perhaps but just going off upset people on forums. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	252809
Old 04-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
With between 9 to 11 million rvs owned in the US with an average of 4 tires per trailer ( just a guess between 3 axle trailers and single) that’s 44 million tires. An average of 400k new rvs a year its 1.6 million tires. Before one calls for lawsuits, questions need to be answered
1) how many China bombs are put on trailers.
2) what is the failure rate of the tire.
3) what percentage of the failure rate can be directly related to poor quality of the tire. Not the user running something over, or improper care, old age, not proper inflation.
After one can provide those numbers then perhaps but just going off upset people on forums. Attachment 252809
Exactly! I mean premium tires are a great thing and I like them. Bought them myself when I needed new ones on my last trailer.

On the flip side although we don't see as many posts about, say, Good Year Endurance tires failing. I would suspect that shear numbers are also at play here. I would expect to see a lot more Good Year failures if the numbers were reversed and there were over 40 million of them on trailers in the US. If there's 400K RVs sold on average there would be major repercussions if tire failure was as high as many in forums make it sound.

It used to be that ST tires were only rated at 65 MPH, now many if not most are 75 MPH. I can't tell you how many times I've had a trailer blow by me at over 70 back when the tires were mostly 65 max. Now that most new ones are 75 MPH rated, I still see trailers on the highway all the time running near or right at that limit. In comparison, car tires are always rated far above speed limits like 112 MPH, 130MPH, 168, etc. Couple that with the loads many people have in their trailers that while may not be over the limit are often right at the edge and it's a wonder there aren't more failures. Sure. I've seen the occasional RV on the side of the road with a blown tire, but if they were truly "China Bombs", we would see them every day, all day during the summer with the many millions of them out there.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #65

Westlakes have held up for 5 years

I have been running Westlake 205/75R14 load range C on my Microlite 23FBKS, GVWR 5000 lbs. We got the trailer in 2017 when it was 1 1/2 years old, but I'm sure these are the original tires. We've towed it approximately 15,000 miles with no tire problems. Due to the age of the tires, I'm getting a new set, probably Carlisle, and plan to go from load range C to D. I did recently discover an issue with a lug being cross-threaded - something I suspect was done at the factory. Luckily, replacing lug studs is fairly easy.

I don't have TPMS on this trailer, but I am very careful to check tire pressure and keep the total weight below GVWR. I also keep speed at 60-65 on the interstate.
RockDrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDrMike View Post
I have been running Westlake 205/75R14 load range C on my Microlite 23FBKS, GVWR 5000 lbs. We got the trailer in 2017 when it was 1 1/2 years old, but I'm sure these are the original tires. We've towed it approximately 15,000 miles with no tire problems. Due to the age of the tires, I'm getting a new set, probably Carlisle, and plan to go from load range C to D. I did recently discover an issue with a lug being cross-threaded - something I suspect was done at the factory. Luckily, replacing lug studs is fairly easy.

I don't have TPMS on this trailer, but I am very careful to check tire pressure and keep the total weight below GVWR. I also keep speed at 60-65 on the interstate.
Well I'm a big fan of TPMS and they save my bacon at least once and warned me of a leaking tire another time.

But my hats off to you if you got 15,000 miles out of China bombs without an incident. The problem is a tire issue is sort of like motorcycles. There are motorcycle riders who have laid the bike down in traffic and there are motorcycle drivers who will eventually lay the bike down in traffic only those two kinds exist and the same can be said for these tires.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #67

If it pops like a china bomb,
if the shelf life is short like a china bomb,
if the tire looks like shredded strands of steel like a china bomb,

Then it is a china bomb. Just saying....

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:18 PM   #68

I prefer US mae products even if the cost is higher. However, 1st priority is always SAFETY. For that reason Sailun tires are on my 5er. They have the best reputation of all. Not that I believe they can never be a problem, just sees much less likely. I could pay double for 2nd best and buy Good Year, but I'll stick with Sailun.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post

If it pops like a china bomb,

if the shelf life is short like a china bomb,

if the tire looks like shredded strands of steel like a china bomb,

Then it is a china bomb. Just saying....

A China made TPMS system could have saved that tire from shredding.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:15 AM   #70

I can’t say China bombs even though made in China. Regardless going from Williams AZ to Reno NV today when front passenger tire blows on trailer. It was my spare I put on the day before because I was riding on borrowed time with the other tire as it had a funny wear pattern the whole outide row was almost bald. I told myself I was going to change before the trip but didn’t, 450 miles later I was going to change but it was hot. So did another 250. Finally decided that Monday was going to be a long day so I switched them put spare ( two years old and stored in doors) 30 miles on it before today ) on axle and the other tire on spare rack. Well I am on road beside walker lake undoing the spare blew. Discount Tire her I come
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
The best use for Castle Rock tires is hanging off a boat dock.

X2. AKA. I agree.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #72

Chinese tires are not a problem, until they are.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #73

Please stop using the term "China Bombs" your bad tires have a brand name, use that. The fact your tires shredded is not the fault of China or the Chinese people. I have a granddaughter from China who has been in tears over the racist remarks made to her about the Chinese and China. Seeing her anguish is much more concerning to me than your tire problems. Stop blaming an entire country and their people for something manufactured by one company.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #74

What I have not seen in this discussion of chyna bombs The company I worked for had a program in place called 6 Sigma (google it). I think there were other quality control programs that were similar (ISO 9000 I think). I would like to see what quality control practices China companies have. My thinking is they don't. Tainted dog food, Contaminate drugs, seemed to be the order of the day from China manufactures.

Tony, and Vicky
Old 06-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Please stop using the term "China Bombs" your bad tires have a brand name, use that. The fact your tires shredded is not the fault of China or the Chinese people. I have a granddaughter from China who has been in tears over the racist remarks made to her about the Chinese and China. Seeing her anguish is much more concerning to me than your tire problems. Stop blaming an entire country and their people for something manufactured by one company.
China bombs because they are made in china and china is known for putting out bad products . this is fact and not raciest. from tires to controls boards to many other products . no one is blaming an entire country or it's people . and throwing out the word racist does not make it racist .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #76

I should have replaced my China bombs when I got the RV. First blowout in ‘nowhere” TX last year. Two blowouts last week in NC. Today I bought five-14 ply tires! ‘Bout time!
Von Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #77

Quote:
What I have not seen in this discussion of chyna bombs The company I worked for had a program in place called 6 Sigma (google it). I think there were other quality control programs that were similar (ISO 9000 I think). I would like to see what quality control practices China companies have. My thinking is they don't. Tainted dog food, Contaminate drugs, seemed to be the order of the day from China manufactures.

What about the RV industry? I’m sure there are more complaints with RV quality than tires.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
What about the RV industry? I’m sure there are more complaints with RV quality than tires.

If you are advocating to pile on I am totally with you. Quality control programs improve quality and increased production.

I just thought this discussion was about chyna bombs.

Tony, and Vicky
Old 06-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #79

Quote:
If you are advocating to pile on I am totally with you. Quality control programs improve quality and increased production.

I just thought this discussion was about chyna bombs.

With all the RV issues I guess we should create a name for RV issues just like tire issues.
I have a friend of a friend that calls cheap tires May Pop tires , seams to work for all tire brands no matter who makes them.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Unfortunately it's your comment that has turned this into a racist conversation. Chinese made tires have a history of problems. There has never been a discussion of race, or the Chinese people on these pages regarding tires. Their quality remains a simple fact, they are poor quality, and people have problems with them. That is what these posts are about. I am sorry that your granddaughter has been exposed to unfeeling people that are filled with hate, but a discussion of tires is not the place to bring that up.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote