Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
D W

If you are registered with the VA you can buy tires, both Goodyear & Firestone from their Canteen Service. Tires are shipped to your local respective tire store, and are tax free. Goodyear Endurance prices are listed on the Supplemental Price Sheet (PDF on the site)

https://www.vacanteen.va.gov/VACANTEEN/SpecialOrder.asp
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #22

I don't think anyone suggested that TPMS always saves you. I only asked if the OP had a TPMS and whether it gave an alert. It might have been exactly as it happened, or not at all.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #23

Sorry you had that happen. I lost one like that a few years ago on a Denali. I now have a Cedar Creek Silverback 31RK. Put Goodyear Endurance tires on it before I had a problem. Also have the TireMinder, which saved us a couple times.
wiandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #24

Blow out

Even w/ the TST monitors, some of these cheaper tires "Let Go' quicker than you can stop and check. I have the monitors that give temperature. I had this happen w/ my utility trailer. Alarm sounded about a second before the boom. Yes, they where Chinese tires. With the conditions of some of the roads, hard to say if it something 1 st.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Tire Compare Table Endurance - Maxxis - Sailun

I put this table attached together using the tire manufacturer spec sheets. I tow a Wildcat 5th wheel on 235/80-16R Maxxis 8008 ST tires. There was a time I considered going to the truck tire brand Sailun and later I considered the newer to market Goodyear Endurance. This chart compares specs on all 3.

- All are the same size 235/80-16R and all would fit my trailer.

- The heavier Sailun can be run at 80psi or 110psi, 110 would require an 8-lug wheel, mine is 6-lug aluminum so I would need to run them at 80psi (I spoke with Sailun and that is acceptable). So in the table you see the same tire at different PSIs which in turn change the load rate. A word of caution if you decide to go the heavier Sailun, those tires are 15 lbs heavier than the Endurance and 12 lbs heavier than the Maxxis. No problem if you run steel wheels but could be an issue if you run lighter aluminum wheels.

1st to consider for me was tread depth when new. Sailun 10/32, Maxxis 9/32, Endurance 8/32. Most likely it's the extra tread that make the tire heavier.

2nd to consider was number of plys. Sailun 14 ply, Maxxis & Endurance are both 10 ply.

3rd to consider was Speed Rating. The tire manufacturers often have a higher Speed Rating. Sailun=L (75mph), Endurance=N (87 mph), Maxxis=Q (99mph). Regardless, the ST tire spec and the OEM trailer manufacturers usually show E-Rated as max speed 65 mph.

All 3 brands in the table have good and very good ratings by RVer's like us.

From a price perspective, they are all close. Sometimes Maxxis is more than Endurance and sometimes it flips. I buy my Maxxis at Discount/Americas Tire. I've towed to all 48 states about 30,000 miles total and never had an issue. Hope you find this helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Compare Table.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	252451  
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I remember a set of Firestone tires I once owned. After less than a thousand miles they de-laminated-in fact this was happening to many people who bought the same tires. I did not call them Ohio Bombs or American Bombs, no they were Firestone Tires. China is not responsible for your tires blowing out. The Chinese people are not responsible. It the company that designed and manufactured the tires are who responsible. Many fine quality products are manufactured in China by skilled tradespeople lets stop this anti Chinese sentiment it hurts too may good people.
Hmm, sounds like virtue signaling and political opinion to me, thanks for sharing
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #27

I was Bitten by the China Bomb Too!

Constancy made in China with less than 5000 mi and under 2 yrs old. Never again will I take the chance with underperforming Chinese made tires. It's not fun sitting on the side of the road for 2 hr's waiting for Good Sam's to come, never showed. Thanks to 2 individuals that stopped to help we got it done. Want go into any details why it took so long but no cell service played a big part. Had to drive on side of road for miles get to cell service.

I just want FR to see what happening to the tires their supplying it's customers. Oh, the tread flopping around killed the auto level jack in front and knocked the foot pad off, hope it didn't go through someone's windshield. It also severed the electric brake wiring at the backing plate.

cruisin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Constancy Blow-Out on RV-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	252466  
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66 View Post
Constancy made in China with less than 5000 mi and under 2 yrs old. Never again will I take the chance with underperforming Chinese made tires. It's not fun sitting on the side of the road for 2 hr's waiting for Good Sam's to come, never showed. Thanks to 2 individuals that stopped to help we got it done. Want go into any details why it took so long but no cell service played a big part. Had to drive on side of road for miles get to cell service.

I just want FR to see what happening to the tires their supplying it's customers. Oh, the tread flopping around killed the auto level jack in front and knocked the foot pad off, hope it didn't go through someone's windshield. It also severed the electric brake wiring at the backing plate.

cruisin

You don't have the equipment to change a tire?

If I 'called' someone to help me, I have 'learned' over the years that they NEVER have the correct parts that I will need. I have a tire ramp, three jacks, two spares, an extra hub, and bearings and seals for four hubs and all the tools to change them out (and I know how to fix it all). Just got back from a 2,000 mile trip. yes, had a gator blow out that took out a fender, metal skirt running lights and my sewer line.... had to use a lot of duck tape to keep the sewer hose on the end of a broken sewer line at the campground.

The OP said that he checked his tires at one time and they were 65psi, an other poster said that he ran his tire at 95psi. My tires say '80psi cold'. This is what I was running and my tire minder said that the psi at the time running was 90psi. Thoughts?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #29

Happened on the Florida turnpike this spring. China's revenge!!

less than 3 years old and I took better care of these tires than any set of tires I have ever owned.

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #30

Yup!!! Looks really familiar.... You know... 20 years from now, when we are really old, old "geezers". we may be looking at a really big settlement from F.R. because they let this happen without trying to change it or make good on it. All those "junior executives" sitting in those offices now that may be advanced and take on the brunt of this problem may end up suing the estates of those F.R. executives in power now that have done NOTHING to get this problem straight. I may not see the day, but my grand kids may... and I hope they see TRILLIONS !!! And I hope they bankrupt the families of these executives that are just sitting back letting this happen!!! This stuff does NOT go away.... these posts will be available on the internet for review FOREVER!!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I remember a set of Firestone tires I once owned. After less than a thousand miles they de-laminated-in fact this was happening to many people who bought the same tires. I did not call them Ohio Bombs or American Bombs, no they were Firestone Tires. China is not responsible for your tires blowing out. The Chinese people are not responsible. It the company that designed and manufactured the tires are who responsible. Many fine quality products are manufactured in China by skilled tradespeople lets stop this anti Chinese sentiment it hurts too may good people.
Amen
Canoseski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #32

Stuck in Lodi Again

not to mention you are in California, Roads Suck for any tire
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
… those F.R. executives in power now that have done NOTHING to get this problem straight. …
Actually, Rockwood, at least, is shipping new trailers with GY Endurance.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If you are registered with the VA you can buy tires, both Goodyear & Firestone from their Canteen Service. Tires are shipped to your local respective tire store, and are tax free. Goodyear Endurance prices are listed on the Supplemental Price Sheet (PDF on the site)

https://www.vacanteen.va.gov/VACANTEEN/SpecialOrder.asp

I just replace all 5 China bombs last week on my 2020 RW 2608BS.
They had less than 1000 miles on them. Precautionary measure.
I wish I would have known about the discount you mentioned. I could have
saved $150.00. Oh well, next time. Happy to have the GY Endurance tires on.
SKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #35

Ok, I took the other "good" wheel and tire off and noticed what appears to be the start of tread separation. I'll see if I can get a good photo of the failure and post it. Just wondering if winter storage for 6 months causes the tire to "flat spot" with separation of the tire tread rubber that allows snow and ice melt water to enter the tire casing? The water enters the steel belts that rust and this causes sudden separation of tire tread. Good thing I am replacing both tires.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Ok, I took the other "good" wheel and tire off and noticed what appears to be the start of tread separation. I'll see if I can get a good photo of the failure and post it. Just wondering if winter storage for 6 months causes the tire to "flat spot" with separation of the tire tread rubber that allows snow and ice melt water to enter the tire casing? The water enters the steel belts that rust and this causes sudden separation of tire tread. Good thing I am replacing both tires.
Nope... they just fail.
There have been several reports of the spare failing having never been on the ground.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #37

I wish posters would be specific about which tires failed for them (some have been, but many have not). Many of us consider Westlakes (which are on our R-Pod and have gone >10,000 miles) to be a pretty good tire versus what we hear about Castle Rocks. I would like to know if any Westlakes have exploded.

I would also like to know if any of the exalted GY Endurance tires have failed. I always worry about sample bias and anecdotal evidence...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
I wish posters would be specific about which tires failed for them (some have been, but many have not). Many of us consider Westlakes (which are on our R-Pod and have gone >10,000 miles) to be a pretty good tire versus what we hear about Castle Rocks. I would like to know if any Westlakes have exploded.

I would also like to know if any of the exalted GY Endurance tires have failed. I always worry about sample bias and anecdotal evidence...
There are stories on this site about Endurance failures. All tires fail. Our units have been outfitted with tires on the edge of their useful load range. Lately seems RV manufactures are increase tire reserve, better load rating. The weight along with road hazards, potholes being the most common, leads to unseen damage. That damage eventually leads to a failure. Trailer tires take a huge amount of twisting when turning. If a tire is damaged normal use alone will speed up the failure, let alone highway speed, more road hazards, and a few pounds too little air.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
There are stories on this site about Endurance failures. All tires fail. Our units have been outfitted with tires on the edge of their useful load range. Lately seems RV manufactures are increase tire reserve, better load rating. The weight along with road hazards, potholes being the most common, leads to unseen damage. That damage eventually leads to a failure. Trailer tires take a huge amount of twisting when turning. If a tire is damaged normal use alone will speed up the failure, let alone highway speed, more road hazards, and a few pounds too little air.

All true. And anyone who drives on roads in the US repeatedly hit road hazards.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #40

Attached is a photo of the sidewall of the "good" tire. Sure seems like a tread separation and catastrophic failure was about to occur. No signs of striking a road hazard and the tire still has 65psi.
Attached Images