Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Constancy tyres (tires)

Has anyone heard of these? Are they any good or are they the crappy China bomb tires everyone is getting rid of as quickly as possible? I have googled them and there is very little to no info on them.. My tires are st225/75/15 and they are "d" load rated.. Please let me if these are crap and I need to replace soon or if they'll do for a while.. These came on my new heritage glen TT.

Thanks,
Doug
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Sorry, never heard of them. Tire companies come and go each time one gets a bad name or are bought out by some other Co.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Team

My TT came equipped with these. I plan to run them about a year and a half then replace them. I run TMPS sensors and check them at every stop. FR must work very hard to find these manufacturers.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
My TT came equipped with these. I plan to run them about a year and a half then replace them. I run TMPS sensors and check them at every stop. FR must work very hard to find these manufacturers.

That's kinda what I was thinking.. Just hope they hold up till then. And you're right FR must work very hard to find the cheapest tires they can.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

My new Coachmen just came with these. I was going to have them balanced and run them for this season and then switch them out.
Coachmanjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

They are on my camper and no issues (took delivery in May last year). Also have a set on an enclosed trailer that gets quire of bit of local travel that are 3 years old.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

They are as Chinese of a tire as can be. They are just another of the several dozen brands Weifang Yuelong Rubber/Shandong Yuelong Tyre/Qingdao Rubber (all same company) in Shandong pumps out in their LY188 design. If I recall correctly, if you order 3,000 pieces in the same size they'll slap any name you want on them! The same LY188s are regularly seen as Triangle, DoubleStar, DoubleKing, and Shineroad brands.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
They are as Chinese of a tire as can be. They are just another of the several dozen brands Weifang Yuelong Rubber/Shandong Yuelong Tyre/Qingdao Rubber (all same company) in Shandong pumps out in their LY188 design. If I recall correctly, if you order 3,000 pieces in the same size they'll slap any name you want on them! The same LY188s are regularly seen as Triangle, DoubleStar, DoubleKing, and Shineroad brands.
I am sure that FR buys a lot more than 3,000. Sure makes it hard to figure anything out about them. But I am sure that is the whole freaking point.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Has anyone heard of these? Are they any good or are they the crappy China bomb tires everyone is getting rid of as quickly as possible? I have googled them and there is very little to no info on them.. My tires are st225/75/15 and they are "d" load rated.. Please let me if these are crap and I need to replace soon or if they'll do for a while.. These came on my new heritage glen TT.

Thanks,
Doug
I have the same ones that you do. Gonna keep an eye on 'em.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #10

Just got back from our first long road trip in Colorado. After going over Monarch Pass, we pulled into a gas station in Buena Vista and a woman pointed out that a tire on our trailer had shredded. I hadn't felt it. The tire was a Constancy LY188 with less than 1000 miles on it. I checked pressure before we started out this morning and it was very close to 50lbs. There were no obvious events that should have caused this.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Constancy is made by lionshead tires who also makes the more commonly seen Westlake tires.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Constancy is made by lionshead tires who also makes the more commonly seen Westlake tires.

Slight clarification that lionshead doesn't make tires; they're just a distributor. I know when I had my Akurets, I found the actual maker and they referred me to lionshead for warranty stuff.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Just got back from our first long road trip in Colorado. After going over Monarch Pass, we pulled into a gas station in Buena Vista and a woman pointed out that a tire on our trailer had shredded. I hadn't felt it. The tire was a Constancy LY188 with less than 1000 miles on it. I checked pressure before we started out this morning and it was very close to 50lbs. There were no obvious events that should have caused this.

What size tires do you have? I could swear I keep my aired up at 65lbs, that might have been your issue with the tire shredding up? Not trying to stick up for the POS tires, just some people have never had issues with them, some do. Just like everything else I suppose. So far mine have held up and still look new. I'll probably put new tires on in the spring.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Tire problem

Good question on the appropriate pressure.

My Rockwood 2604WS came from the factory with Constancy Ly188 ST205/75R14 tires. These are rated at 50lbs.

Looking at the sidewall, the load rating is 1570lbs in a dual axle application.
Times 4 equals 6280 lbs total load capacity.

The door sticker says dry trailer weight is 5995 lbs, and cargo capacity is 1660 lbs. So, total trailer weight GVWR would be 7655lbs fully loaded.

If my tongue weight is 1000lbs, this still puts 6655lbs of load on tires that are rated for 6280 lbs.

I think I have two problems. One is a bad tire since the trailer wasn't anywhere near loaded to the max, and the second is that the factory put on undersized tires for the rated GVWR.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #15

...and my obvious concern about having one brand new tire fail is whether I can trust the others with the safety of my family.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Always Learning

Constancy tyres (tires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Looking at the sidewall, the load rating is 1570lbs in a dual axle application.

In this instance a "dual" application means 2 tires side by side on one end of a single axle- like dually trucks have. Not 2 axles each having a single tire on each end (which is called tandem axles).

That said, the tires are still likely close to maximum capacity. I know my tires didn't have enough capacity to fully support the axles. Never caused issues, but I did do upgrades to make me more comfortable.

Also- not sure where you are, but various places around the country have outfits who will do individual wheel weights. It can be very enlightening.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #17

I had also wondered about the side by side vs two axle interpretation of the word 'dual'.

Goodyear makes the following statement about single vs dual rating for trailer tires:
"For dual-axle trailers, loads must be reduced by 12%”.
The single rating for my tires is 1760lbs, the dual rating is 1570lbs.
If I take 12% off of 1760lbs, I get 1550lbs which is pretty close to the 1570lbs dual rating on the tire.

Of course, since very little technical information is available on line for the Constancy tires, it's hard to know whether they agree with Goodyear..... But the ratings on similarly sized class C tires are identical independent of vendor, so one would think that the same derating for dual axles would apply.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #18

My constancy tires are D rated and thus are to be aired up to 65 psi. I have heard nothing good about these tires especially the C rated version. When my time comes to change I'm going either to the maxxus 8008 or the GY Marathons..
Old 09-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #19

Yeah. Because mine are C rated, they only take 50psi. I'm seriously considering replacing my new tires on my new trailer with a name brand. One tire failure is one too many. Problem is that D rated tires in my size are not very common. I might need to go with a wider or bigger tire, which is a new bag of worms.

I'm confused about the single vs dual load rating. I've confirmed that ependydad is correct that 'dual' seems to apply to side-by-side applications. But Goodyear also seems to require load derating by 12% for dual axle applications. So it also may apply to dual axles.

I've sent Goodyear an email asking for clarification/validation of the 12% derating guideline for dual axles.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Part of the weight shortcomings is they figure some of the weight is tongue weight/pin weight. That said, there has been a lot of encouragement lately to get people to report their trailer tire failures to the nhtsa. This way, they can be recorded and followed so maybe eventually done change in this policy is effected.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires