Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 09:22 PM   #21

For fun and amusement, we weighed the truck and TT on a 3 pad Cat scale as a combo, and then weighed the truck disconnected, but still loaded 8with typical travel paraphernalia.
I disproved several of my assumptions re loading the trailer axles on a toy hauler.
These weights are with a 1000 lb gas golf cart in the trailer "garage." All food and clothing, prox 20 gallons of fresh water and empty holding tanks.
GCVW: 19,980
Loaded trailer axle weights: 9460
Loaded truck drive axle: 5660
Loaded steer axle: 4760
Unloaded drive axle: 4000
Unloaded steer axle: 4980
Tongue weight: 1440
Trailer gross scale: 10902 with golf cart and ready to camp.
These weights suggest about a 460 lbs under max trailer axles capacity. So, the golf cart is not loading the trailer axles in excess. And the OEM axles, are satisfactory for my application.
The 31V pulls very well with the new springs and 16" tires. The springs made large improvements in handling.
The truck is heavy in the drive axle due to a full 60 gal bed tank and various equipment that I carry--jacks, popup, ad infinitum.
The TV is a Ram 3500 DRW 4x4, 6.7.
As often mentioned, we removed the garage Happijac overhead bed. Kept the side seats. Small incremental changes are making towing the 31V much more pleasant.
Cost of Cat first weigh is $12.50. A "re-weigh"is $3.00. Must pull off the scales and disconnect, then re-enter the scales and supply the scales first slip number.
A "re-weigh is supposed to be only on the same tractor and trailer. Disconnecting the trailer is not an "approved' re-weigh. But they often allow for such
If anyone's interested in seeing a scale certified weigh slip, I'll post them later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_160551.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	272921
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement