Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 07:40 PM   #1

Correct Replacement Springs?

Noticed a 'list' to the curb side of my 31V toy hauler. Looking at the springs, the cause is apparently flattened springs. No arch.
Want to verify that replacement of right side with Lippert OEM springs is the correct route for repair?
The street side springs are normal looking. The curb side frame is 1" lower than the street side.
Had a tire failure on the curb side and towed for some distance before noticing that we were on the rear axle rim. Towed like that without issue...I've since installed a TPS system on the trailer.
Axle ID is below. Axles do not appear to be bent.
Am I missing anything here? Click image for larger version

Name:	20220411_170313.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	271382Click image for larger version

Name:	20220411_170256.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	271383Click image for larger version

Name:	20220411_164451.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	271384Click image for larger version

Name:	20220411_164500.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	271385
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

Springs are sold by the weight and length of the spring measured from center of eyebolt to center of eyebolt. You could increase the weight of your springs if you wanted to. This does not necessarily increase your total weight capacity as there are many other factors involved such as your frame, tires, axles, etc. However, and just my opinion, it seems the factory uses the bare minimum they can bet by with. Going up by 500 # does not seem to be a idea. Normally you would want to replace all your springs if you want to step up in capacity. Springs are rated as a set, meaning if you want 3500 # springs, it takes two to make that as each spring will be half of that. If you currently have two 3500 # axles, you could upgrade your springs to 4000 # springs, for example. I know some may say that upgrading like that may cause you to have a stiffer ride, but again, from what I see the factory set up is just barely covering the minimum. Again, just my opinion, (and experience).
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #3

I'm guessing the trailer is heavier on the street side. Might be good to weigh each side, and talk to a spring shop about beefing up that side, if they can.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the info!
Sitting here with a 12k toy hauler on 5100 # axles x 2. As suggested, going with 6K springs X 4. Realize that this mod doesn't alter the GVWR. But the springs on the curb are damaged from weight apparently. Might also be related to sorry NC interstates?
And, as described, the kitchen is lined up along the curb side. So the curb side is heavy. Big slide opposite with a sofa. Nothing major heavy on street side.
The "5100" lb axles are a concern. Destroyed tires announced the beginning of the axle issues.
Some 5000-6000 lb axles are the same tube and steel, with different hubs, brakes, wheels. Worry that my axles are maybe 4000-5000 lb items? That leaves really weak links in the suspension. The axle tubes are 3" so unsure what "family" the axles fit into?
Finding accurate info is difficult to obtain. This toy hauler should never have been spec'ed with 15" tires and wheels. 10,200 total leaves 2,400 for the truck on a tag-along. Shoud've had 6k axles with 16" wheels and tires....which was changed in 2020. The GVRW is printed in various formats from mud 11k to 12.4k. About12k is what it weighs.
So far, the axles are not yet bent. I've installed 16" E rated tires and rims. That only leaves the axles and frame?
I like the layout if the 31V, but the quality is a miss.
With less than 1/4 fresh fill, zero grey and black tanks, and a 1000 lb golf cart, I'm just over 12k. Figured out itwas too heavy last year and removed the Happijac ensemble. Not much left to remove? Most loose camping things ride in the truck.
The toy tends to remove weight from the tongue and add to the axles....which are already maxed out.
Addition thoughts are welcomed!
Will post repair outcome. Minimally hope to see it level again.
Thanks again!
FWIW, still waiting on a Dometic 9200 awning motor that was DOA with a new awning hardware kit that was ordered June of last year.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #5

One additional thing I should have mentioned, when you measure the length of your existing springs, taken into account that the existing springs may have flattened out some so may measure longer than what they would be new. Also, the springs are measured without any weight applied to them. Springs come in standard lengths. So if your old spring is off by 3/4 inch it is likely due to the fact that it has flattened out over time and no longer has the arch it should have.

Also, replacing the springs is fairly straight forward. Just be safe and use proper support as you will be working under a heavy trailer that could flatten you out just like your springs.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #6

Thanks, and yes. The flattened curb side springs are 26" long. The street side measures 25 1/2" with weight on them.
The springs are 25 1/4" originally. As you say, unloaded.
I just dropped $316 on 4 replacement springs. Bought 6000 lb axle springs. They are 5 leaf, but the extra leaf only adds 3/8" to the stack. The arch height is the same. Don't really want the trailer any higher. It's high enough from the factory.
We shall see what bends next...?
I'm in good shape for safely handling the trailer...even sans axles. Probably do one side at a time.
Thanks again for the thoughts!
Old 04-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #7

What really scares me is a broken spring. Spent a lot of time reading about TT springs and axles (I work nights--sometimes not much goung on) and saw several posts where springs were removed and found to be cracked or broken. That would get get one's attention. Having that 12k box steering me down the road is unappealing. For sure.
Unbelievable how flat the curb side springs are in comparison to the street side. Thought the squirrels got the tires. They didn't.
The suspension isn't really up to the challenge. I don't recall the 'tilt' last fall when last parked inside the barn...? Whatever. Noticed instantly on opening up to dewinterize.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_160013.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	271461Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_160053.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	271462Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_160009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	271463
Old 04-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #8

Suggestion: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2460-2570.html
mb1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #9

I would get directly from lippert. I replaced my two rear leaf springs last summer with identical looking springs from a well known local company. There was no arch in the springs after installation. Took to camper shop, they got springs from lippert and all is good.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Duramax View Post
I would get directly from lippert. I replaced my two rear leaf springs last summer with identical looking springs from a well known local company. There was no arch in the springs after installation. Took to camper shop, they got springs from lippert and all is good.
Replacement springs arrived yesterday from etrailer...hope they don't go flat immediately.
Etrailer is definitely on the ball with getting things delivered on time...and ahead of time. Measured up as correct.
We shall see. Might yet have issues.
Installing today.
Went from (I'll assume?) 5100 lb springs to 6k X 4. Reading all 4.
Unlike typical travel trailers, toy haulers shift weight onto the trailer axles.
Heading to the Cat scales once Weds. With the golf cart in the garage.
Pics later.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #11

And we're level again.
The 6k springs might have added an inch to the ext height. I'll assume that the OEM springs were 5100 lbs @ and bare minimum. Toy haulers are unsafe with minimum weight capacity suspension all while great confusion exists regarding actual load capacity.
Options are, apparently, not included in "as delivered" load calculations. Generator, Happijac, and fuel tank must be deducted from the load capacity. Added together, taking almost 2k lbs in options. Maybe I'm missing something?
It was time for maintenance.
The right rear spring assembly axle U-bolts were found loosened. The other 3 springs were tight. Found the left equalizer sans front spring bushings. Beat out I'll assume? The street side springs still have normal arch. Curb side are both flattened.
Etrailer has their "stuff" together. The are both knowledgeable and proficient with executing orders correctly. Highly recommended.
Off to buy a pair of rockers to replace my 3 year old units.
Plan to run up on the Cat scales soon. That will be interesting.
Anyone weighed a toy hauler both with and without the "toy?" I have thoughts that the toy loads the trailer axles as it biases the tongue weight aft.
Surely this has been worked out somewhere?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220417_170328.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	271673Click image for larger version

Name:	20220417_170237.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	271674Click image for larger version

Name:	20220417_122126.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	271675Click image for larger version

Name:	20220417_145104.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	271676
Old 04-17-2022, 07:43 PM   #12

"Options are, apparently, not included in "as delivered" load calculations. Generator, Happijac, and fuel tank must be deducted from the load capacity. Added together, taking almost 2k lbs in options. Maybe I'm missing something?" You're not missing anything, all those option weights count against your final capacity.

You're fortunate you discovered the flat springs that led you to finding the loose u-bolts and bushings before you had a catastrophic failure.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #13

im dealing with a similar issue on my single axle camper. has a 4400lb axle and by time I add water, batteries, and propane i only have about 450lbs to go. my left side was leaning and that is where my big slide is. springs look ok from underneath, but it is clearly leaning. ordered 5000lb springs. I dont plan to add weight but dont want to ride around at 95% spring capacity either.

This is a 2021 btw. warranty claim was denied because of a small rack on the back. Forest river did bad planning on this. it should have been a 5200lb axle from the start
wheelhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
"

You're fortunate you discovered the flat springs that led you to finding the loose u-bolts and bushings before you had a catastrophic failure.

Ya. The trailer will now get annual suspension checkups...and quick inspections regularly.
If an axle came loose, it might just break free, or, it might 'steer' the rig into traffic or the ditch. Either way, the trailer would be destroyed. Add to that the presence of a 30 gallon fuel tank about 2 feet behind the rear axle. Could get nasty fast.
My toy hauler is designed and equipped with zero safety margins. The OEM tires in particular.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhopper View Post
im dealing with a similar issue on my single axle camper. has a 4400lb axle and by time I add water, batteries, and propane i only have about 450lbs to go. my left side was leaning and that is where my big slide is. springs look ok from underneath, but it is clearly leaning. ordered 5000lb springs. I dont plan to add weight but dont want to ride around at 95% spring capacity either.

This is a 2021 btw. warranty claim was denied because of a small rack on the back. Forest river did bad planning on this. it should have been a 5200lb axle from the start
Measure the frame rails to the ground, and from frame rail to the axle, on a level surface. Could be, as you say, springs. Could also be the axle?
You could check with Lippert or Dexter and clarify the axle weight specs. Axles often span quite a range of capacities. The springs and tires are the weakest links.
Weigh your trailer in order to get a baseline for comparing appropriate replacement components. Consider weighing each wheel in order to rule out the slide weight. Racecar friends often have portable scales.
Post what you find and the remedy.
Good luck!
Old 04-29-2022, 06:50 AM   #16

The wrap. Springs arrived within 4 days from etrailer. Fit properly, and all went well. Etrailer is good to do business with if product is shipped via UPS. They are quite knowledgeable.
Traveled last week and found much improved ride and handling qualities.
On arrival, found no dislodged drawers or cabinet contents disturbed. The toy was in the 'garage', but the trailer no longer 'pushes' in highway speed curves.
Apparently the OEM springs were bottoming out. There were marks on the frame indicating spring bolt impact on both sides.
Plan to hit the cat scales next Tuesday with the golf cart loaded and the trailer provisioned for a week to get a GVW. Going to weigh the the truck with 90 gallons of diesel this weekend. Deduct the truck, sans trailer, from the attached truck weight should give the hitch weight?
We are heading out next week again.
We're pleased with the new 6 k springs.
Not sure if I mentioned in a previous post, but found the street side equalizer (rocker) missing two outboard bushings.
Replaced both rockers.
The suspension appeared to be less than adequate and will require frequent assessment.
Might go with wet bolts to make life easier on the bushings?
For S&Gs, my daughter bought a Montana 379RD with a gooseneck. They cannot move it with their truck....I can, so off to pick it up Monday. The empty weight is same as my loaded 31V. Be interesting to see how it pulls. SWIMBO is not a fan of the 31V. Too spartan. I like it. It has redeeming qualities. But...might find a 5ver in our future?
Cheers!
Old 04-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #17

Thank you for the follow-up. Happy to hear it went well.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
Thank you for the follow-up. Happy to hear it went well.
Thanks much!
I'll post the weights next week. That might be interesting?
Never weighed it with the golf cart in the garage. I feel that weight is being removed from the hitch and biased onto the rear axles. Maybe?
Old 04-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Thanks much!
I'll post the weights next week. That might be interesting?
Never weighed it with the golf cart in the garage. I feel that weight is being removed from the hitch and biased onto the rear axles. Maybe?
Had the same issue with my 29hsf 4400 lbs axles and springs , rear springs broke replaced all 4 with 5200 lbs springs . did not increase carrying acp but definitely better. The 29hsf had a max load or 9800 with 2 4400 lbs axles yes TW but that's perfect conditions . always under sizing the important things on these rigs.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Had the same issue with my 29hsf 4400 lbs axles and springs , rear springs broke replaced all 4 with 5200 lbs springs . did not increase carrying acp but definitely better. The 29hsf had a max load or 9800 with 2 4400 lbs axles yes TW but that's perfect conditions . always under sizing the important things on these rigs.
Quite agree. Built with zero margin of safety. Toy haulers are curiosities as the garage weight shifts the center of gravity aft, which loads the axles...and maybe overloads the axles. Standard travel trailers don't have the aft weight conundrum.

Tags
replacement