Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Crusader rim question.

I have crusader 360 bhs and have had 2 blowouts with the Goodyear marathon tires. Was thinking of going to the Goodyear g614 or maybe the sailum s637 both G rated tires. My question is will the rims pictured below handle 110 psi if I replace the value stems with metal ones? They do 110 psi stamped on them but want make sure. Has anyone out there made this switch on these rims?

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20170727_203455.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	175931Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_202957.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	175932Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_203051.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	175933
bigdaddy31820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. My first comment is with two blowouts make sure what ever trailer tires you are running that they are inflated to the max sidewall pressure under inflation is the most common cause of tire failure. The 110PSI stamp on the rim is the max inflation pressure for that rim.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Yeah seadog I left out a few details. I have been running 80 psi with TPM. That was max psi for the marthon's that are on the trailer. Both blowout occured without any warning. My hope is going to the G rated tire will eliminate my tire issues. I was wondering if anyone had made this tire switch on these rims. Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

the G rated tire does have an inflation of 110Psi which your rims are rated for and in the single tire application a weight rating of 4070 so you are adding a safety margin they should work great.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Almost all 16" LRG tires require special high load capacity wheels. Yours are rated at 3750# and the only way you can overload them is to deliberately overload your trailer. So the higher load capacity ST tires will probably work. I'd ask the wheel & tire manufacturers for confirmation.

You should also check your axle spacing. Lots of trailers with your OE tires have 33" axle spacings and the taller tires (85) may not have a satisfactory clearance, minimum of 1" for Dexter axles.

This is not a recommendation, just an informational reference to show the difference in height and load capacity between the 80 & 85 tires.

Sailun S637 ST Heavy Duty Specialty Trailer
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy31820 View Post
Yeah seadog I left out a few details. I have been running 80 psi with TPM. That was max psi for the marthon's that are on the trailer. Both blowout occured without any warning. My hope is going to the G rated tire will eliminate my tire issues. I was wondering if anyone had made this tire switch on these rims. Thanks

Sounds like your "Blowouts" were not Sidewall UunLow Flex failures but were belt separations.

TPM would have warned about low inflation.

Belt sep occur over time due to high load, high speed and lower then needed infl.

Tires in trailer application should run tire sidewall inflation.

The confirmed measured scale load on the heaviest tire on the trailer should be no more than 85% of the tire load capacity.

I also suggest a "Free Spin Inspection" as seen in the video on my blog. I would do this at lease annually and every 1,000 miles after 10,000 miles.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sounds like your "Blowouts" were not Sidewall UunLow Flex failures but were belt separations.

TPM would have warned about low inflation.

Belt sep occur over time due to high load, high speed and lower then needed infl.

Tires in trailer application should run tire sidewall inflation.

The confirmed measured scale load on the heaviest tire on the trailer should be no more than 85% of the tire load capacity.

There is more than one "catch 22" in that statement. Probably more than 85% of OEM tires cannot provide that percentage of protection. Replacement tires with more load capacity would be needed. When that would require a tire SIZE increase, it's very unlikely the trailer manufacturer would recommend a larger tire than they provided on the trailer.

I also suggest a "Free Spin Inspection" as seen in the video on my blog. I would do this at lease annually and every 1,000 miles after 10,000 miles.
The blue above is not a contradiction, just an expansion of some of the inadequacies for replacement tire selections for RV trailers.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The blue above is not a contradiction, just an expansion of some of the inadequacies for replacement tire selections for RV trailers.

Yup

Hopefully the new RVIA requirements for at least a 10% load capacity margin will make tire selection easier.

I can't help it if RV companies do not provide adiquate tire capacity. Can't make them care about their customers or the quality of the stuff they sell either.
What I can do is to provide info with sound tire engineering background and hope that at least a few owners will walk away from units with poor quality and too small tire capacity.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #9

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will start with weighing the trailer to get the exact weight I am dealing with and them make the decision on which tire to get. I am pretty sure I am going to need the G rated tire though.

Tags
crusader