Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 09:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I learned my lesson packing bearings in the summer sun with oppressive humidity trying to put the gloves on. Snoopy those blue gloves are nitrile. They stretch even less than the latex.

Happy bearing packing season!
Better than gloves, put bearing in zip lock bag with glob of grease, close bag and massage grease into bearing.

Then wipe what little grease gets on your fingers off with a paper towel.

One bag can do several bearings and your hands don't get sweaty.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParkinson View Post
I have tried to figure out what bearings are used on my Dexter axel to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

2020 Forest River 3016 hyperlite.

Picture of axel tag attached.

I have searched the numbers and not finding anything. Sorry in advance. Just want to buy a spare set of bearings and seals.

Thanks

Chris
It would be a lot easier to take it apart clean and inspect get the numbers off and then you would know. It’s like anything else man made it depends if it was made on a Monday or a Friday.
Jboshell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #23

The ONLY sure way to get the right bearings is to pull what you have and get the part numbers. Forest River sent me some years ago based on my VIN that are still in my parts box 'cuz they don't fit. Haven't the heart to throw them away.

I used to carry a complete set of bearings and a spindle for my boat trailer mainly 'cuz the bearings sometimes got submerged launching the boat. A good idea for the camper I've yet to adopt which I should...

-- Chuck
Old 03-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #24

bearings are available at any industrial bearing supply. you need both bearings and 1 seal. GOOGLE BEARING SUPPLY IN YOUR TOWN. its not rocket science. use Lucas red and tacky grease available at any parts store or a truck stop.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Better than gloves, put bearing in zip lock bag with glob of grease, close bag and massage grease into bearing.

Then wipe what little grease gets on your fingers off with a paper towel.

One bag can do several bearings and your hands don't get sweaty.
I never stop learning good stuff from you, oh great old wise one!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #26

My older 2010 FR Wildwood with same issue. I can access spindle ends without removing wheel. Under the dust cap is a rubber cap with grease behind that. No zerks exist. There is a hole with threads (female) as if a zerk could be screwed into the hole, but then would not allow for replacing the rubber plug as zerk would stick out. What poor design is this? Now looking for the manufacturer stamp to understand what axels I even have. FR manual references both Lippert and Dexter (bought Alko Kober) which is also useless. Thanks for any advice in advance. Not sure I have “EZ lube system” if no zerk is present. Don’t have EZ anything I guess. Need to understand what parts I need to manually repack before taking everything apart as I have no workshop.
Ninjaryder1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dexter, question