Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPuller View Post
Yep I had the same issue on Flagstaff 832 IKBS. Removed the hub to see why all the grease was coming out of the back side and when I pulled the hub everything fell out in pieces. Only one of the four was in pieces but the other three needed lots of grease removal/cleaning. Dexter Customer service did send me a reimbursement check. Thinking now about seeing if Dexter will replace the other three. I'm afraid the other three will do the same. Your thoughts on requesting replacement of the other three. I know it won't hurt to ask but just the heck with it and go with disk brakes or "manual" adjustable?
You use the EZ-Lube "feature"? That may be your main issue here.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You use the EZ-Lube "feature"? That may be your main issue here.
I had never added any grease to any of my wheels and pulling the drum for a routine inspection I found the same thing. It was clear to me that high temp caused the grease seal to fail. Remaining grease in hub was very liquid and dark. Did not see the same on the other three wheels but I did have the magnet come off one of the other drums. Dexter send me all new (new design) brake assemblies and grease seals. After I replaced them I did use the EZ lube system to fill the hubs. I pulled one of the drum/hub's after filling to make sure that the rear seal did not leak by and it was fine. I agree you have to be careful with them and pump the grease slowly while rotating the wheels. I don't think I would add grease in really cold weather. Now that the hubs are full a few pumps now and then should do the trick. I have used EZ lube for 20+ years on boats without an issue.
RockwoodUL2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockwoodUL2604 View Post
I replaced them I did use the EZ lube system to fill the hubs. I pulled one of the drum/hub's after filling to make sure that the rear seal did not leak by and it was fine.
That is the ONLY way I would ever use them...pull the hub immediately after to make sure the seal didn't get blown. Personally, I pull the drums yearly to inspect my brakes and bearings anyway so no need to use the EZ-Lube system "feature".

I have 2 boat trailers. One has Bearing Buddys and the other has EZ-Lube. Only the EZ lube trailer had bearings get pitted due to water intrusion. Bearing buddy is the only way to go for a boat trailer. Obviously not needed for a travel trailer.

Personally, I think the grease leaking past your rear seal caused your issue. Once you get grease on the linings, they grab and can overheat your brakes. Had the same thing happen on a truck where the oil seal failed and allowed diff fluid on to the shoes. That caused the brakes to over heat.

I just replaced the cheap chinese bearings and seals on my trailer with USA made Timken to prevent the grease issue.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood