Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Here's the thing....just like anything else you only read about the minority of failures. You are not going to read about the tens of thousands of EZ lube systems out there that work as designed without failure.
Could be. But I have only heard success stories on a forum, never from anybody in real life..... Hmmm
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Could be. But I have only heard success stories on a forum, never from anybody in real life..... Hmmm
Have you walked around campgrounds and asked the campers there if they have had any problems with their EZ-Lube axles? That would be the only way you would hear about success stories in real life. I've never had seal blow-out issues with mine.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Have you walked around campgrounds and asked the campers there if they have had any problems with their EZ-Lube axles? That would be the only way you would hear about success stories in real life. I've never had seal blow-out issues with mine.
You would be amazed what RVers talk about Heading to Nascar tomorrow (Phoenix). Should be lots of RV talk with about 6000 RVs I'll try to keep track of what comes up as I meet most of 'em
Actually seems like most I meet now don't even know you are supposed to grease wheel bearings....
Old 11-01-2021, 04:42 AM   #24

Quote:
You would be amazed what RVers talk about Heading to Nascar tomorrow (Phoenix). Should be lots of RV talk with about 6000 RVs I'll try to keep track of what comes up as I meet most of 'em
Actually seems like most I meet now don't even know you are supposed to grease wheel bearings....

That’s a lot of talking [emoji6][emoji6]
Old 11-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
That’s a lot of talking [emoji6][emoji6]
My wife calls me the mayor and tells everybody I'm always off kissing hands and shaking babies I find folks love to talk about their stuff, all you have to do is make an appreciative comment or ask a question about it
We have met some of our life long friends at events like NASCAR Can't wait to see them today after nobody went last year. Got the beer loaded in the RV and getting in the truck for the 7 hour drive now. WooHoo!!!!
Oh, and I repacked my bearings a couple of months ago This RV doesn't have ezlube.......
Old 11-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #26

Quote:
You might be shocked at how many miles those people have on their rigs with zero issues. Some may have only had bearings serviced when brakes were replaced just like on cars and light trucks before sealed bearings.

Of course there are also those who trade in every few years.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
If the issue shows up on all four wheels obviously there is something not being done correctly during lubing process.
Yes, the OP didn't inspect them regularly.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Once upon a time Wheel Bearing and Chassis Grease were two different greases. Old School Wheel Bearing grease had the consistency of soft tar. When you scooped it out of the bucket with your fingers it was so stiff it was difficult to separate your fingers. Was formulated for wheel bearings that were not protected by the modern seals we have today Some were just made of felt. As wheels started turning at higher speeds and hub temperatures rose, along with the advent of disc brakes, changes were made.

Today's wheel bearings use a NGLI-2 standard grease, usually with a Lithum Complex base. Add anti-wear and corrosion inhibiters for bearing requirements. Most grease manufacturers today will formulate their NGLI-2 Lithuim Comples greases to meet BOTH Chassis requirements AND Wheel Bearing requirements to simplify their distribution.

Today's Multi-Purpose NGLI-2 greases have the consistency of margarine or shortening only with much higher drop (melt) points.

If you are using a Chassis Grease ONLY in your "Bearing Buddy" (EZ-Lube's, as another pointed out have no springs), you are not properly lubing your wheel bearings.

I stand corrected on both fronts...the spring loaded cap and the quality of grease. Thanks.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #29

No problems with EZ lube on any of my trailers. I can not say the same for torsion axles I have owned.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #30

I just had mine re-packed today (4 wheels) hand packed. I asked Paul if they had improved the ez lube in the past few years. Ours is a 2014. He said “no” and then explained and showed me while the wheel was off why they are un-reliable and have a high rate of failure.
Just too easy to blow out the seals.
jas451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #31

EZ Lube systems have ZERO moving parts. There’s literally no way for the system to fail unless a foreign object is introduced into a grease passage. They work, plain and simple.

That said, I don’t use the system even though many of my trailers have been equipped. Hubs need to come off to properly inspect brakes anyway, and if you need to add grease in between brake inspections, the bearings weren’t done properly to begin with.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #32
Snappy-1

Eze Lube

I still wonder if eze lube is such a bad, dangerous and scary operation, then why do they keep manufacturing them on soo many axles ?
snappy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy_1 View Post
I still wonder if eze lube is such a bad, dangerous and scary operation, then why do they keep manufacturing them on soo many axles ?
It's what is called an inconvenient truth. The fact Dexter keeps successfully selling this ststem doesn't support the idea it's a bad system.

I have it, use it, like it, and have had zero issues with it

Those that have it and don't like it don't have to use it.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
I just had mine re-packed today (4 wheels) hand packed. I asked Paul if they had improved the ez lube in the past few years. Ours is a 2014. He said “no” and then explained and showed me while the wheel was off why they are un-reliable and have a high rate of failure.
Just too easy to blow out the seals.
I'm just curious, exactly what is the failure rate that is called high? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10 million? And is that based upon miles or days or years? I'm guessing there is nothing but a shrug of the shoulders for the answer.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2t View Post
The problem is that the grease never really "evaporates". At some point the hubs will be full. That's why I pull mine every 2 years, remove all the old grease and repack the bearings. You can then use the ez-lubes without worry.
This is 100% on the nose. Grease doesn't evaporate. When you add more, some should ooze out, and if the hubs are full every pump you add should equal a same amount out the front bearing. If not, well, it's got to go somewhere.

For those who had cars with front disk brakes or drums that had to have bearings packed. When did the bearings get packed? Whenever new pads were installed or rotor resurfaced or replaced. Thats like 30-40 thousand miles. No EZ lubes on cars, yet trailers? Give that some thought.

Boat trailers that get submerged in water is the exception.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #36
Insert witty title here

Here is my experience using the EZ lube system.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-190766.html

I now disassemble and re-pack my bearings every spring.

If they work for you, wonderful. Personally, I will never use it again. I hope you have better luck than I did.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #37

OK I have a question why do you lub so much .Vehicles with bearings that are packed don't get the bearings packed every year usually when brakes are replaced maybe every 3 -4 years so why would you pack your trailer bearings every year . People that have utility trailers don't pack their bearings every year . I have had three campers I do a inspection every year but I don't pull the wheels but every 2 years . I have been a heavy truck mechanic for 45 years never lost a wheel or bearing .The hubs on trailer should be checked and packed when you get it .Then packed when brakes replaced .I did lub my trailer axles when I got it got it in 2017 in 2020 I lubed it again .I might be wrong but I think a lot of people having problems with dexter lub axles is from over greasing .I'm shore some will say I 'm wrong about this but I will just question their skill level I have about 30000 miles on trailer so it does not set .As many have said too much grease will push out the seal pulse to heavy grease will cause problems . Don't over lub . If you don't have the feel for thing then pull the wheels again your skill level has a lot to do with your skill level . Again just my two cents worth .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
OK I have a question why do you lub so much .Vehicles with bearings that are packed don't get the bearings packed every year usually when brakes are replaced maybe every 3 -4 years so why would you pack your trailer bearings every year . People that have utility trailers don't pack their bearings every year . I have had three campers I do a inspection every year but I don't pull the wheels but every 2 years . I have been a heavy truck mechanic for 45 years never lost a wheel or bearing .The hubs on trailer should be checked and packed when you get it .Then packed when brakes replaced .I did lub my trailer axles when I got it got it in 2017 in 2020 I lubed it again .I might be wrong but I think a lot of people having problems with dexter lub axles is from over greasing .I'm shore some will say I 'm wrong about this but I will just question their skill level I have about 30000 miles on trailer so it does not set .As many have said too much grease will push out the seal pulse to heavy grease will cause problems . Don't over lub . If you don't have the feel for thing then pull the wheels again your skill level has a lot to do with your skill level . Again just my two cents worth .
I agree with the majority of what was said in this post, especially the part about checking and packing the hubs/bearings when you 1st purchase a trailer. Start things off correctly and you'll eliminate many of the horror stories posted about wheels/hubs flying off going down the highway.

The ONLY issue I see with EZ-Lube hubs are from the folks who see a grease nipple and think they have to pump grease in it every trip or every few months.

A properly lubed bearing (with the correct grease) will travel THOUSANDS of miles before needing relubed or even refreshed. If you are of the mindset that the grease you pumped in your bearings last month isn't good enough to make the next trip, you are using the wrong stuff.

4 seals blowing out at the same time was from an improper lubrication process, not failure of the EZ-Lube system.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #39
Insert witty title here

I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to know alot about the subject. It is for this reason, I try to adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule that came with my trailer which says to re-grease the bearings every year or 10,000 miles. Is it overkill? Perhaps but i absolutely do not want another episode like the one I linked above so I err on the side of caution.

I also travel with a spare hub, bearings, grease and all the tools needed to do the job on the road if necessary. I scan my hubs with a laser thermometer whenever I stop. If all 4 wheels read the same approximate temperature, I'm good to go. If 1 reads significantly hotter than the others then I will find a safe location to pull the wheel apart to inspect and replace if needed.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Here is my experience using the EZ lube system.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-190766.html

I now disassemble and re-pack my bearings every spring.

If they work for you, wonderful. Personally, I will never use it again. I hope you have better luck than I did.
I read the entire 4 pages of the thread you linked. At no time did you mention the EZ-Lube as the cause, merely pictures and repairs. Even pointed out that the other three hubs were "OK".

When people complain about EZ-Lube it's usually because the rear seal has leaked grease, most often from failing to follow instructions on how to grease and/or improper bearing adjustment. In the pictures posted there was no apparent grease issue but rather the lack of grease. According to the EZ-Lube instructions grease should be applied until it starts to flow from front bearing. Can only surmise that this wasn't done (based on pictures).

Improper bearing adjustment is also a possibility in the failure you had as well as just plain spindle failure, impact with pothole, etc.

Just because the axle was equipped with EZ-Lube doesn't mean it was to blame.

FWIW, EZ-Lube is no replacement for regular inspection even if you don't pull the hubs every time. Jack up wheel, check wheel free and smooth rotation, then check for bearing play. May be a little hassle from time to time to do this but a lot less than losing a wheel. For me this is SOP before I depart on any long trip.

Tags
dexter