Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Dexter tire wear

I have a 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S with Dexter torsion axles, I purchased from the original owner in May of this year. It had only been used once or twice and has very low miles (less than 2,000). It has worn the inside tread on the passenger side rear and driver’s side front tires down to 2-3/32” from 9/32” new. The rest of the tread is about 8/32” on both tires. I talked to a local RV dealer and they told me there have been problems with Dexter axles developing negative camber. This is my third trailer with Dexter torsion axles and I’ve never had a problem before. Has anyone had the same experience? If so, what did you do about it? Did Dexter warranty the axles? The wheel bearings are properly adjusted, and there is no sign of any damage.
azaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:14 AM   #2

The only way to know and maybe get some action from Dexter is to actually have the alignment checked not just the thrust line but the camber also. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had a negative camber problem with the rear axle of our fifth wheel. Wore the inside edges of the tires. Went to a truck alignment shop that also did RV's. They corrected the axle. It also had a toe-in problem on one side.

Nice quality control huh?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Most manufactures do not transfer warrenty to second owner,forest river doesnt.Not sure about dexter.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

I contacted Dexter warranty by phone and the representative I talked to recommended that I file a warranty claim, even though I told him I was not the original owner. Shortly after filing the claim I received an email from Dexter with a warranty claim number and the name and contact of the warranty rep who would be handling my claim. The email also said that they were behind on claims due to Covid, etc., which I don’t doubt. I’m very hopeful they’ll do something for me. I made this post to see if it was a common problem, because a local RV dealer encouraged me to file a claim immediately after I told him my problem. Also, the Dexter warranty rep I spoke to did the same thing. As I mentioned in my first post, this is my third set of Dexter axles in the last thirteen years and I’m a big fan of them. I’ve subjected them to all kinds of abuse and this is the first problem I’ve had.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #6

Dexter axle tire wear problem

I contacted Dexter warranty by phone and the representative I talked to recommended that I file a warranty claim, even though I told him I was not the original owner. Shortly after filing the claim I received an email from Dexter with a warranty claim number and the name and contact of the warranty rep who would be handling my claim. The email also said that they were behind on claims due to Covid, etc., which I don’t doubt. I’m very hopeful they’ll do something for me. I made this post to see if it was a common problem, because a local RV dealer encouraged me to file a claim immediately after I told him my problem. Also, the Dexter warranty rep I spoke to did the same thing. As I mentioned in my first post, this is my third set of Dexter axles in the last thirteen years and I’m a big fan of them. I’ve subjected them to all kinds of abuse and this is the first problem I’ve had.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaustin View Post
It's always advisable to file a warranty claim regardless of first, second, or even later ownership. The company may or may not honor the warranty but at least the issue becomes part of the company's database of reported problems. This then gives their engineering department information needed to make necessary changes if warranted.

Remember, the worst they can do when you file a claim is say no.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Dexter Axle warranty claim

Just a quick update on my warranty claim for the camber problem I have with my Dexter torsion axles. Dexter responded within a week and approved my claim, even though I am not the original owner of my trailer. They are sending two new axles, paying for the labor to install them and will also pay for two replacement tires. You can’t beat that. I’m really pleased with their customer service. I’ve been a big fan of their axles since 2008 when I bought a new Haulmark trailer with Dexter axles. It’s still going strong and has never let me down. My Keystone NRG toyhauler also had them and I never had a problem with the axles on it either. Hats off to Dexter!
Old 08-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

I'm toward the end of a long trip, during which I've had to replace an axle under warranty by Dexter. I, too, can attest to their excellent customer service, once they've started processing the claim.

Having replaced it, it's now evident the rear axle also requires replacement. I'll address that when we get home.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #10

You are very lucky. I have the same problem with one axle and Dexter told me to go pound it since I’m not the original owner. 3 yrs old, less than 4K total miles. Oh, and told me to go to Camping World for help getting a new one.
RickRoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dexter, tire