Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 08:07 PM   #1

Dexter Torflex Failing

I have some serious lean to one side. From the research I did, I'm guessing the Torflex suspension axle is failing. Are there parts to repair and will a dealer repair or must a new axle be installed?

Thanks .
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #2

Axles

From experience with our previous trailer, the life of the Torflex axle is about 10 years. I'd take it to a reputable trailer repair service and have them check the axle.

One other thing to check is the weight on each wheel. Could be for some reason the trailer is loaded heavily on one side.

You can level the trailer, jack up each wheel, one at a time, and see if each one moves/drops the same amount. If so, the axle is good. If there is a 1/2" or more difference, time to replace the axle.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
From experience with our previous trailer, the life of the Torflex axle is about 10 years. I'd take it to a reputable trailer repair service and have them check the axle.

One other thing to check is the weight on each wheel. Could be for some reason the trailer is loaded heavily on one side.

You can level the trailer, jack up each wheel, one at a time, and see if each one moves/drops the same amount. If so, the axle is good. If there is a 1/2" or more difference, time to replace the axle.
Thanks. Going to limp home today. Saw some wear on the plastic top. Guess that is when we did some bouncing from rough roads.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220605_112246566.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	274421Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220605_112242319_HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	274422
Old 06-05-2022, 10:36 AM   #4

Axle

Looks as though either the tires/wheels have been upsized from the originals.

I'd say your axle has collapsed or is overloaded or larger tires are installed and not enough clearance.

As to traveling rough roads, the solution is to SLOW DOWN. I know that is painful for travelers but it is the way one should treat their vehicles and trailers.

Life is too short, no sense in hurrying to the end.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

I had a Lance 1575 with the Dexter Torflex axle (single). I never liked the fact that the Lance had somewhat low ground clearance. As a member of a Lance forum I began reading stories of other owners having their tires rub through the wheel well liners due to sagging axles. My wheel clearance was around 1"-1.5" from the top of the tire to the well liner. Lance stood up for some of these folks and replaced their axles. Others were able to purchase new, heavier axles at cost and then it was up to the owners to install or have installed, the axle. The problem was that the axles were too light for the trailer and over time began to sag. I ended up having my axle replaced with a heavier duty axle at some cost to me, and then prompltly sold the Lance and purchased my Mini Lite.
If you look around you will see many Lances that seem low to the ground and I will venture to guess that sagging Torflex axles have a lot to do with that.

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Looks as though either the tires/wheels have been upsized from the originals.

I'd say your axle has collapsed or is overloaded or larger tires are installed and not enough clearance.

As to traveling rough roads, the solution is to SLOW DOWN. I know that is painful for travelers but it is the way one should treat their vehicles and trailers.

Life is too short, no sense in hurrying to the end.
It's not the tires. They are the same size as OEM. Left side has plenty of clearance. The axles have collapsed on the right side. Those pics are both right side tires.

I was doing 62 in a 70 all the way home yesterday. I angered a lot of cars and trucks, but made it home in one piece.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.
Ron
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

Axle failures

I normally run 60 where interstate speed is 70. Otherwise, I'm 5 to 10 below the posted speed limits. I'm in the right lane and may occasionally move to the center lane of 3 to pass a slower vehicle.

If those folks behind me are impatient, aggravated, and such, there is always a lane to my left known as the "show out lane". Peddle to the metal and have at it, but don't flip me off. I am being safe and taking care of my rig.

Last week, while not towing, I came behind a TT pulled by an SUV. The road was a 2 lane paved crooked road with a few potholes. I watched the TT bounce around like tin cans on a string behind the "just married" car. That fellow was giving the TT one heck of a beating. No wonder stuff breaks.

We are all going to arrive at the same point one day, and that is the cemetery. No sense in pushing the issue sooner than later. Take time, slow down and smell the flowers.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #8

Called Dexter today. A nice lady told me they have a 10 year warranty and to fill out a claim. A local RV repair place (5stars) does the warranty work.
Woohoo!!!

Tags
dexter