Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Fla5er

Disc brakes for fifth wheel

I would like to install a set of disc brakes for our Cardinal 3250RL. Can anyone give their experiences about the brakes' electric over hydraulic interface; such as any failures of the interface/pump: the costs involved in installation; surging after wear on the discs and any other considerations involved?

Thanks a bunch!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

We had disk brakes installed on our Wildcat. Best money you can spend. A huge improvement in braking. Cost was $2,550 complete and the installation was done at our house in about 5 hours. The company is in Oklahoma and has field techs that come to you. Or, you can order the parts and do it yourself if you think you have the skills. I was happy to let them do it. We have had zero issues with the disk brakes since the install in March 2017. I did replace the pads earlier this year. My guess is we had +/- 20,000 miles on them.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #3

I installed disc brakes on our Alpine and they are fantastic. We just returned from a trip to Alaska (13,000 miles) and I cannot imagine making the trip without them.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #4

Our Riverstone 38FB came with E/H disc brakes. Use Ford factory controller. At 18,000 plus pounds, it's the best braking trailer we have ever owned.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #5

Did a self install on my Vengeance. After using them over 10,000 miles I’m convinced drum brakes should be illegal.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

I had Performance Trailer Braking install discs on my trailer (not a 5ver). Installer met us in a state park to do the install. Was great to work with - we discussed best place for the pump, let me check bearing install, etc. It took him about 5 hours. So far zero issues. Work perfectly with my Ford OEM brake controller. Significantly better braking. Very happy with the results. I have about 15k miles on them now.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #7

I put Kodiak brakes and the Titan E/H controller on a boat trailer. Love them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Performance Braking did ours. Around $2500 installed. Maybe 5 hrs. I made the purchase and called one of their installers who was visiting family near our location. Braking is great. First on the list of upgrades when we upgrade.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #9

Makes one wonder why most trailer manufacturers don't offer discs as an option. I realize the cost is a reason to not have them on base models, but as an option they could offer an important safety feature and take in some more $$$.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Makes one wonder why most trailer manufacturers don't offer discs as an option. I realize the cost is a reason to not have them on base models, but as an option they could offer an important safety feature and take in some more $$$.

Agreed but basically they aren't interested in what the consumer wants when they are selling as many as they make. Next downturn we will see some innovation as they try to steal markets share. According to my wife they should reunite the Dodge Caravan moms and design an RV kitchen that a woman would approve of.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I was at a trailer show where some of the high end ones had it as an option or came with them standard.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #12

Disc Brakes

[QUOTE=Jimmy James;2174398]I would like to install a set of disc brakes for our Cardinal 3250RL. Can anyone give their experiences about the brakes' electric over hydraulic interface; such as any failures of the interface/pump: the costs involved in installation; surging after wear on the discs and any other considerations involved?

Thanks a bunch!

Make sure your brake controller is set up for disc brakes. A friend of mine bought a new 5th that had disc brakes. He just used the brake controller that he had mounted under the dash. After the first 1000 miles the pads were gone. His dealer checked it out and said there is slight constant contact with the pads if you don't have the correct controller. Since the dealer was not aware of the issue, they at least replaced the pads for him.
RVSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSmitty View Post
Make sure your brake controller is set up for disc brakes. A friend of mine bought a new 5th that had disc brakes. He just used the brake controller that he had mounted under the dash. After the first 1000 miles the pads were gone. His dealer checked it out and said there is slight constant contact with the pads if you don't have the correct controller. Since the dealer was not aware of the issue, they at least replaced the pads for him.
That's a first! Most brake controllers that are in the vehicle don't have a disc setting. My Ford F-150's factory controller certainly doesn't. Neither did either my Prodigy P2 or P3.

On the other hand, the E/H unit on your trailer comes in disc or drum models. The drum model keeps a slight brake fluid pressure just like a residual valve does in a conventional master cylinder. Drum brakes need a slight amount of brake pressure at all times.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #14

Disc brakes for fifth wheel

Babock, I suggest you check page 302 for procedure for setting up your brakes in your owners manual. Although my trucks have been super duty’s, your F150 should have a setting for electric over hydraulic brakes
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	213934
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Babock, I suggest you check page 302 for procedure for setting up your brakes in your owners manual. Although my trucks have been super duty’s, your F150 should have a setting for electric over hydraulic brakes
I agree it has settings for electric over hydraulic. No settings for disc.

BTW, you can use electric over hydraulic for drum brakes as well. Done all the time in the boating world.
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actua.../T4822500.html
Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #16

Every disc brake setup I’ve seen required a hydraulic actuator/pump which the brake controller controls.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Every disc brake setup I’ve seen required a hydraulic actuator/pump which the brake controller controls.
If you use E/H with disc, you set up the controller for E/H. There is no specific disc setting.

I do have disc brakes on my boat trailer with E/H and yes, I have it set to E/H along with the Prodigy P2 and P3 before.

You can actually have disc brakes with surge actuators. Also done all the time in the boat world.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
Fla5er

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm guessing that the Oklahoma owned company has contracts with local rv dealers to do the work?

We're heading out west from Florida next spring and the conversion to disc brakes is on my list of priorities! Gonna' need 'em in the steep grades out there. I'm sure my Pac Brake exhaust brake will be very busy too! It's one thing to pull, but another to stop safely.

Blessings to you all!
Old 08-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm guessing that the Oklahoma owned company has contracts with local rv dealers to do the work?

We're heading out west from Florida next spring and the conversion to disc brakes is on my list of priorities! Gonna' need 'em in the steep grades out there. I'm sure my Pac Brake exhaust brake will be very busy too! It's one thing to pull, but another to stop safely.

Blessings to you all!
That OK company is too smart to be associated with an RV dealer. That’s a reason they have a good reputation.

They will either sell you the complete kit or send one of their reps to your location to do the job. The person they send usually goes on the road on a regular basis and may install 8-10 sets before returning home. For those of us who do our own work they are available for telephone support seven days a week.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:46 PM   #20
Fla5er

Thanks emm-dee for that information. Good to know that the tech who does the installation is proficient and knows what they're doing!

Tags
brakes, fifth wheel, wheel