Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Do the Dexter Torflex Axles make a difference

Hello,
This question is for those that have owned other travel trailers before purchasing a Forest River product. Do the Dexter Torflex Torsion Rubber Ride Axles really make a difference? I've never towed a TT with this type of axle.

If it is a better axle, what led you to this opinion?

Is there any special maintenance with these axles?

I've heard they were a better axle that the standard Dexter axles on used on most TTs. However, never having owned a TT with them, I don't have any personal experience with them.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
PatHoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Not on my RV but I have them on a horse trailer they have been great maintenance free . It’s an 05 four horse with living quarters never had any problem . I really wouldn’t say they make it pull any better but it’s hard to say horse trailers pull much better than campers so it’s kinda hard to say .
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

They're usually found on lighter weight TT and 5ers. They work great in those applications and are generally trouble free.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

My MicroLite 25BDS has the Torflex axles on it and I really like them.

My previous trailers had springs with equalizer links between. With that design every time the trailer goes over a bump on one side the axle alignment geometry changes. Front spring is anchored on the front and as the spring flexes down, the wheel on that side of the axle "toes out". Then the bump, which for all practical purposes happens at the same time at highway speed, causes the rear wheel on the same side to "toe in".

In short the geometry of he suspension is constantly changing which can lead to sway and tire wear issues.

With the Torflex the wheels are moving on a swing arm and travel straight up and down. Much more stable. I have driven with no sway control attached and not noticed any sway. Even more stable when big trucks pass or lots of side wind.

One major benefit is the elimination of all the bushings and bolts used by the old spring type axles. They all wear and alignment angles change with the resulting tire wear problems.

Essentially only one moving part on a Torflex per wheel. The swing arm at the end of the torsion tube is it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
They're usually found on lighter weight TT and 5ers. They work great in those applications and are generally trouble free.
Dexter makes them up to 12K per axle capacity. Some even with replaceable spindles that can be changed using hand tools and takes 15 minutes once hub and brakes are off.

Nothing to stop a manufacturer from putting them on the largest Travel Trailers.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...).pdf?sfvrsn=4

Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post

And on tilt bed heavy equipment trailers with 17.5K GVWR.

https://www.bigtextrailers.com/16tl-...-bed-equipment
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the insight.
Pat
PatHoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

We had a Rockwood with the Dexter axles and now have Cedar Creek Hathaway with one's mentioned. They both pulled real well. My son and a friend have Pumas with the leaf springs. I've pulled theirs for one reason or another and you can definitely tell the difference. They ride harder thus it makes a harder ride in the TV.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #9

My Windjammer has Torflex axles. The camper pulls well, but the Torflex aren't bullet-proof. I hit a couple of potholes in the Smokies earlier this year and it bent the spindle on one axle! I replaced the whole axle and the camper has done well for about 3000 miles since then.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #10

The main advantage is that they are better for low slung trailers and can get a trailer lower. That's why you see them on many boat trailers now. Don't have to back in the water as deep. There is the issue with torsion axles where if you don't tow perfectly level front or back set of tires will have more load on them as a set of axles with an equilizer will have the same weight on both axles. Not a big deal if you make sure you get your trailer level.

I have driven both types with boat trailers and have not noticed any difference towing between the two types. Torsion may be quieter but now that I have greased pivot bolts on my shackles, my leaf spring trailer makes no noise either.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
There is the issue with torsion axles where if you don't tow perfectly level front or back set of tires will have more load on them as a set of axles with an equilizer will have the same weight on both axles. Not a big deal if you make sure you get your trailer level.
A grossly exaggerated issue, that is the result of one specific trailer builders opinion, who has done a dissertation the length of War and Peace on his website. It's based on ramblings and his desire to sell more of his trailers and is linked to ad nauseam on RV boards.

You would need to be massively out of level to have a concern or issue.

Rockwood / Flagstaff builds and sells a lot of trailers. All have torflex axles.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

My previous Arctic Fox trailer had leaf springs with four shock absorbers. My current Rockwood has the Torflex axels and I have not noticed any difference.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #13

It's not just one trailer manufacturer. The company that custom made our boat trailer with torsion axles said the exact same thing. Did he like to us? Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
A grossly exaggerated issue, that is the result of one specific trailer builders opinion, who has done a dissertation the length of War and Peace on his website. It's based on ramblings and his desire to sell more of his trailers and is linked to ad nauseam on RV boards.

You would need to be massively out of level to have a concern or issue.

Rockwood / Flagstaff builds and sells a lot of trailers. All have torflex axles.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
There is the issue with torsion axles where if you don't tow perfectly level front or back set of tires will have more load on them as a set of axles with an equilizer will have the same weight on both axles. Not a big deal if you make sure you get your trailer level.
My trailer isn't perfectly level, it's off maybe an inch or so lower in front. When I weigh individual axles I see only about 100 lbs difference between front and rear. Well within the load capabilities of my tires (including safety margin).

With the length of my trailer, and axle placement, I'd have to really be "out of level" to have a significant weight difference on the axles to cause an issue. But aren't we supposed to load our trailers properly as well as adjust our WDH's accordingly?

I wouldn't consider this to be a problem for the clear majority of users.

BTW, my weight readings were static loads with trailer sitting still. With the normal movement of a trailer going down the road (more "movement" on CA highways ) the dynamic load is more equal than we realize.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #15

Quote:
It's not just one trailer manufacturer. The company that custom made our boat trailer with torsion axles said the exact same thing. Did he like to us? Lol

You have to be smarter than the axle / trailer and use some common sense. If your 4" out of level on the trailer no big deal.......If your 16" or 24" out of level then maybe start worrying.

Rockwood / Flagstaff puts thousands, possibly tens of thousands of trailers on the road with torsion axles yearly and has done so for years. You don't see many issues, if any. If you look at a Rockwood UL or Signature TT or 5er they ride no lower than a comparable rig with conventional suspension despite having torsion axles.

The website I am referring to is actually a guy who sells plans for trailers IIRC. It's been linked to on RV forums for years. His opinion is never use them at all in a tandem configuration. I am not linking it.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #16

It's just physics. All I said that if the trailer isn't level, one axles set of wheels will have more weight on them than the other. Not sure why you jumped all over me with your statement. On our triple axle trailer , the physics of it made it more important that it be level than a tandem version.

In the end, wether a trailer had them over one with leaf springs wouldn't even be in my top ten reasons to buy one trailer over another. Lance and Outdoor RV products, two of the higher quality trailers out there would put them on if it really mattered that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
You have to be smarter than the axle / trailer and use some common sense. If your 4" out of level on the trailer no big deal.......If your 16" or 24" out of level then maybe start worrying.

Rockwood / Flagstaff puts thousands, possibly tens of thousands of trailers on the road with torsion axles yearly and has done so for years. You don't see many issues, if any. If you look at a Rockwood UL or Signature TT or 5er they ride no lower than a comparable rig with conventional suspension despite having torsion axles.

The website I am referring to is actually a guy who sells plans for trailers IIRC. It's been linked to on RV forums for years. His opinion is never use them at all in a tandem configuration. I am not linking it.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #17

I owned two trailers with torsion flex axles and I agree with most posters that they are virtually maintenance-free. I have no experience with leaf springs, but would believe that they have higher maintenance and are subject to breakage.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpacker View Post
I owned two trailers with torsion flex axles and I agree with most posters that they are virtually maintenance-free. I have no experience with leaf springs, but would believe that they have higher maintenance and are subject to breakage.
Not much with leaf springs either unless you dunk them in salt water like I used to do launching boats. The bushings can wear out but that's pretty much it. I have the Morryde greasable bushings on my trailer so hoping they will last awhile.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #19

I believe the reason torsion axles are put on horse trailers is because they are smoother riding for live critters. And anyone who thinks they are just for lighter trailers doesn't know how much horses and their trailers weigh.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegler View Post
I believe the reason torsion axles are put on horse trailers is because they are smoother riding for live critters. And anyone who thinks they are just for lighter trailers doesn't know how much horses and their trailers weigh.
The horse trailer I used to have had leaf springs. Pretty common still on most horse trailers.

Tags
axle