Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We cover the tires. Park it on a well drained area. That's about it. Sometimes the jacks are down, sometimes they aren't. Flat spotting modern tires is no longer a concern.

If your bearings are properly and regularly maintained, rotating tires periodically when temporarily stored is overkill. But it's your time and effort.

I would never go through half the gyrations folks go through when temporarily storing an RV. I'm basically lazy, and just won't do any extra work that is not proven to be necessary.

I figure if your RV sits long enough to warrant putting it or the tires on blocks, you need a new hobby.

I retired in January, but I've got more than enough to keep me busy. My biggest challenge right now is to convince my DW to retire too so we don't have to put the TT in storage for 5 or 6 months.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Grass rotting out(rusting) a steel frame. That’s a new one. Not unless you take the wheels and axles off and put frame directly on wet grass.
Have fun. 😁
it does and will happen, my yard truck has sat on my side yard and brake lines rotted and had to be replaced, way to much moisture
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #23
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
You don't store it over grass for long periods, do you? Years ago we had one that we stored on the grass and the frame rotted. I was told years later it was because we stored it on the grass. We have a concrete pad now.
Yes, I store it on my back lawn. I park it there after the last mowing of the season and move it off just after mud season. I did this with my old TT too and never had a problem with rust on the frame.

The rest of the year I store it in my driveway on planks because the driveway is gravel. In the winter the jacks are up in the summer the jacks are down and the trailer leveled.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
it does and will happen, my yard truck has sat on my side yard and brake lines rotted and had to be replaced, way to much moisture
Was your yard truck a Chevy? They are known for the brake lines to rust on a good day.

I have had Trucks, Broncos, Cars, Many trailers sitting for long periods of time on grass with no ill effects. This different vehicles over a 40 year period. I have heard of brake lines rusting but never had it happen, other than my 53 Buick all have been Fords, and Dodges though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Was your yard truck a Chevy? They are known for the brake lines to rust on a good day.

I have had Trucks, Broncos, Cars, Many trailers sitting for long periods of time on grass with no ill effects. This different vehicles over a 40 year period. I have heard of brake lines rusting but never had it happen, other than my 53 Buick all have been Fords, and Dodges though.

neither, toyota truck, like I said allot of moisture from the ground, i look at it this way , grass and plants survive in the ground but on concrete they will die
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #26

any flat spots you get in the tires will be gone in a few miles, stored many cars over the winter and the thump thump in the tire are gone as soon as the tires start to heat up and have gone around a few times. just stop and think of all the new and used cars, trailers, campers sitting for months at a time and no problems, I have never stored any trailer on jacks with tires off the ground and I still don't know why people store their campers with jacks down, maybe if your in the open and could have a large snow load but I have never done it and don't see why
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #27

Quote:
LOL... the big 3 get their brake lines from the same OEM suppliers. Nice try.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
any flat spots you get in the tires will be gone in a few miles, stored many cars over the winter and the thump thump in the tire are gone as soon as the tires start to heat up and have gone around a few times. just stop and think of all the new and used cars, trailers, campers sitting for months at a time and no problems, I have never stored any trailer on jacks with tires off the ground and I still don't know why people store their campers with jacks down, maybe if your in the open and could have a large snow load but I have never done it and don't see why
Apparently you didn't read the Goodyear recommendations that were posted earlier. Pretty good explanation of "Why" by a tire manufacturer no less.

But if you know better --------

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
LOL... the big 3 get their brake lines from the same OEM suppliers. Nice try.
I can say I have never heard of a Ford brake line rusting out but I have heard of numerous Chevy lines doing it. I do not drive Ford Trucks any longer either........ but so you know where they got their brake lines 20 years ago...... cool.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
neither, toyota truck, like I said allot of moisture from the ground, i look at it this way , grass and plants survive in the ground but on concrete they will die
Just curious how long ago was that???? Toyota had a big recall of their trucks several years ago and bought a lot of them back including a good friend of mine as the frames were rusting out.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #31

Quote:
I can say I have never heard of a Ford brake line rusting out but I have heard of numerous Chevy lines doing it. I do not drive Ford Trucks any longer either........ but so you know where they got their brake lines 20 years ago...... cool.

Only people I've ever known who had rusted brake lines (on any make) were either living in areas like the Mid-West and East Coast where tons and tons of Salt were put down on roads during winter months - OR - those who liked to drive on the ocean beach and take occasional splash runs in the surf.

Of course on those vehicles not just the brake lines rusted.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #32

Quote:

Ford does not make brake lines. Chevrolet does not make brake lines. Chrysler does not make brake lines. Nice try again though.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #33

Toyota truck buy back.

Quote:
Just curious how long ago was that???? Toyota had a big recall of their trucks several years ago and bought a lot of them back including a good friend of mine as the frames were rusting out.

Yes, a friend of mine had his Toyota pickup bought back. I think he said he used to park it on the grass.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Yes, a friend of mine had his Toyota pickup bought back. I think he said he used to park it on the grass.
My Son used to "Park" his Toota truck in the nearest mudhole, every chance he got. Hard to tell if anything was rusted as the entire underside was covered with an inch of caked mud

Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My Son used to "Park" his Toota truck in the nearest mudhole, every chance he got. Hard to tell if anything was rusted as the entire underside was covered with an inch of caked mud

That wasn't mud, it was "rust preventative".
Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Yea my friend did not park his on the grass and his Toyota rusted out. A lot of makes had rust issues. Some still do.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Ford does not make brake lines. Chevrolet does not make brake lines. Chrysler does not make brake lines. Nice try again though.
No kidding .... Are you just trying to instigate trouble ???????.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #38

Quote:
No kidding .... Are you just trying to instigate trouble.
Nope...just responding to hilarious statements.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Nope...just responding to hilarious statements.
My point is parking on grass is no worse than parking any where else. I along with many other have been doing it for many years.

You do not have to be a jerk about your opinion.... We have to stop and think this forum is here to help one another, not to start arguments. You can disagree but it is how you go about it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
My point is parking on grass is no worse than parking any where else. I along with many other have been doing it for many years.

You do not have to be a jerk about your opinion.... We have to stop and think this forum is here to help one another, not to start arguments. You can disagree but it is how you go about it.

No...your point was that Chevy brake lines rust out and no others do. I just pointed out that OEM brake lines are made by a few suppliers for all the car companies.

BTW...that's not an opinion...it's a fact.

Tags
storage