Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2024, 09:32 PM   #1

Does This Look OK

Doing trip prep and while looking at the tires and topping them up, found this.
There are smaller ones on another tire.
As you can see on the date code, they were made 13th week of 2021 so less than 4 years old.
What do you all think?
Tread all look good, other than the bulge, the sidewalls all look good.
Sun side of tires are always covered. (That is a sun side tire. The one on the 2nd tire is on the north side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240514_093055.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	299791   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240514_092927.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	299792   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240514_093037.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	299793  
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:40 PM   #2

Im not a tire expert but that would make me look for new tires. There are some smart tire people on here that might have a different opinion but my gut tells me, new tires.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:57 PM   #3

I agree with Sunseeker16. Time for new tires.

Any sidewall bulge is a blowout waiting to happen.
2018 Ram DRW, long box, Aisin, 4:10
B & W Companion
Albertaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Im not a tire expert but that would make me look for new tires. There are some smart tire people on here that might have a different opinion but my gut tells me, new tires.
Thanks Seeker, I am leaning that way myself, Just want to see what others think. Hoping Wmtire might see it and give me an opinion.
Probably a trip to Discount tire in the near future, Thats where I got them.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:21 PM   #5

Wait a few days. See what others have to say. I've seen plenty of posts of the Goodyear Endurance having small bulges or ripples in the side wall. Just the way they are made I think.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Thanks Seeker, I am leaning that way myself, Just want to see what others think. Hoping Wmtire might see it and give me an opinion.
Probably a trip to Discount tire in the near future, Thats where I got them.

The top pic looks like broke sidewall cord. The other two pics look like undulation, which is just how tires are made and purely cosmetic. Let me find you some previous threads on undulation and how to feel for such.

EDIT: See this link:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1287826

History Mystery #107: Why are marshmallow circus peanuts orange in color, but banana in taste?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:34 PM   #7

Any flaw in the sidewall area may increase the risk of a blowout as sidewalls build heat as they compress and expand A LOT rolling down the road and.. Personally, I would replace it.
fulcrum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Here is also another link to go with the one I edited in the post above.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2862619

History Mystery #107: Why are marshmallow circus peanuts orange in color, but banana in taste?
Old 05-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The top pic looks like broke sidewall cord. The other two pics look like undulation, which is just how tires are made and purely cosmetic. Let me find you some previous threads on undulation.
WMTire, all 3 pics are the same tire.
I assume that a broken sidewall cord would be bad.
On the other tire it is much smaller so most likely the undulation you speak of.
Posting this gave me a good excuse to catch out on your Mondays at the Tire Shop. only about 3 pages to go.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
WMTire, all 3 pics are the same tire.
I assume that a broken sidewall cord would be bad.
On the other tire it is much smaller so most likely the undulation you speak of.
Posting this gave me a good excuse to catch out on your Mondays at the Tire Shop. only about 3 pages to go.
Yes. broke sidewall cord would be bad. As explained in the links I provided, feel exactly on the opposite sidewall (or your case the inner sidewall) and see if you feel an indentation in the exact same place. That would be undulation.....if not, then you have broke cord and needs replacement.

As I also stated most tires have a some undulation and may be in several spots. It's just simply where the body cords may overlap internally. It's actually a stronger spot, not weaker. All the sidewall writing can actually cover up undulation to the average person.

You can probably run your fingers over the other tires now, and find undulations in them, and on the opposite sidewalls now that you know what to feel for.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes. broke sidewall cord would be bad. As explained in the links I provided, feel exactly on the opposite sidewall (or your case the inner sidewall) and see if you feel an indentation in the exact same place. That would be undulation.....if not, then you have broke cord and needs replacement.

As I also stated most tires have a some undulation and may be in several spots. It's just simply where the body cords may overlap internally. It's actually a stronger spot, not weaker. All the sidewall writing can actually cover up undulation to the average person.
Well, i am sure both are broken cords. I eye balled down the tires as i spun them, looking inside and then outside. inside both tires are smooth. I will take a second look / feel tomorrow and let the forum know how this turns out.
Thanks to all for the quick replies.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Well, i am sure both are broken cords. I eye balled down the tires as i spun them, looking inside and then outside. inside both tires are smooth. I will take a second look / feel tomorrow and let the forum know how this turns out.
Thanks to all for the quick replies.

OK, sounds good. That second pic looks like classic undulation to me. Just feel on the opposite sidewall in the same place and see what you feel. Move your hand left/right to feel the indentation

I bet if you start looking/feeling hard now, you can find it in your other tires too. The higher ply/pressure radial tires, make undulation more pronounced.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
OK, sounds good. That second pic looks like classic undulation to me. Just feel on the opposite sidewall in the same place and see what you feel. Move your hand left/right to feel the indentation

I bet if you start looking/feeling hard now, you can find it in your other tires too. The higher ply/pressure radial tires, make undulation more pronounced.
So now I am second guessing myself.
I pulled the tire off and now that I know what I am looking for I see the undulation. however, the part that looks like a bulge has one just like it on the other side.
Is it possible that I have 2 undulations side by side to make it look like a bulge?
Photo 1 is the outside, number 1 is what looks to me like a bulge, number 2 is undulation.
Photo 2 is the other side, 1 & 2, bulge and undulation.
Photo 3 is tread with lines connecting 1 and 2.
So what you think? Undulation or cord separation?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	299811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	299812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	299813  
Old 05-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #14

Maybe try to contact Goodyear?
Mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
So now I am second guessing myself.
I pulled the tire off and now that I know what I am looking for I see the undulation. however, the part that looks like a bulge has one just like it on the other side.
Is it possible that I have 2 undulations side by side to make it look like a bulge?
Photo 1 is the outside, number 1 is what looks to me like a bulge, number 2 is undulation.
Photo 2 is the other side, 1 & 2, bulge and undulation.
Photo 3 is tread with lines connecting 1 and 2.
So what you think? Undulation or cord separation?
Yes, you can have two undulations close to each other and it make it more apparent as a bulging between them. That's why I always suggest looking on the opposite sidewall. Since you have it on both sidewalls directly across the radius, then I am going to say it's all undulations.

I'll look again when I get home on a better computer screen as this one at work is not so good.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:55 PM   #16
Site Team

We have a Goodyear Endurance on one of the tire trailers. I just went out and circled two undulations on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240515_125128.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	299820   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240515_125131.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	299821  

Old 05-15-2024, 01:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes, you can have two undulations close to each other and it make it more apparent as a bulging between them. That's why I always suggest looking on the opposite sidewall. Since you have it on both sidewalls directly across the radius, then I am going to say it's all undulations.

I'll look again when I get home on a better computer screen as this one at work is not so good.
Bobby, or do you prefer Mr. Tire?
Thank you for your time and Education. After looking at the 2nd tire I was concerned about, it was undulations.
So I am going to run this one and keep an eye on it as I stop every one to two hours for stretch (me) and potty breaks (DW). I also have TPMS that have saved the side of the trailer so I feel good about running it.
Have a great week.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:15 PM   #18
D W

No my friend, that does not look good. Time for new tires. Are all of those tires dated 2021? How many miles on them? I wouldn't chance any of them.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:50 PM   #19

Does This Look OK Goodyear Tires

This is just a thought and I might have missed where someone else has already mention this.
I would suggest talking to the dealership where you purchased the tires, there might be a possibility that your dealer, they are defective, help you get new tires under warranty or prorate the cost for a new set. I usually buy my tires from the same business and the owner is always very attentive.
If it is a tire defect I would think Goodyear would take care of you are at least be generous on a new set of Tires.
Good luck!
Frierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frierson View Post
This is just a thought and I might have missed where someone else has already mention this.
I would suggest talking to the dealership where you purchased the tires, there might be a possibility that your dealer, they are defective, help you get new tires under warranty or prorate the cost for a new set. I usually buy my tires from the same business and the owner is always very attentive.
If it is a tire defect I would think Goodyear would take care of you are at least be generous on a new set of Tires.
Good luck!
Agree, however any time of mine with “undulations” will be replaced. (Period)
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote