Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #1

E450 caster bushing/sleeves

Been reading a lot of interesting stuff here on the forum regarding
improving class-C E450 motorhome steering & handling.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2510044

Sure make a lot of sense to me. I had mine checked and it only had
4* caster. I talked to my local chassis suspension guy about it and he
warned me that the offset sleeves add additional load & wear to the
ball joint because you are changing the angle. Especially the 3 1/2*
sleeve I'd like to try. Anybody here done it and had early ball joint
failure??? Any chassis experts confirm this may happen?

Tired of windy wondering Rich
rkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #2

I'm curious as well, I would think caster only affects handling.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkracing View Post

ball joint because you are changing the angle. Especially the 3 1/2*

Rich,

I took a look at the other thread and I'm pretty sure the guy's merely got a toed-out error setting on his unit. It can happen right from the factory and apparently can be hard to catch. That is why his tires scrub off on the inside and just about the only reason they ever do. That error may not seem possible because the alignment shop re-did it a couple of times with the same result, but I'll tell you a horror story why I believe that the toe setting is still the culprit.

In 1976, I bought a new K5 Chevy 4wd pick-up to deal with a chronically muddy tract-home project I had contracted. I specifically selected a 1/2 ton pick-up that already had mud & snow tires on it over all other specs.

With less than 10k miles on it, the new tires on my new truck were nearly down to the cords on the inside. There had to be something wrong with the alignment. I went to Montgomery Wards for new tires and asked for an alignment. They put the new tires on and told me the alignment was OK as was. The alignment should have been ok, because the truck was new from the GM factory.

Wards had just installed a new "computer controlled" alignment machine. I objected that the tires wore bad on the inside and their new machine couldn't be correct. After I called their new baby ugly like that, their "alignment expert" told me the camber had to be off and I would have to find a different shop to "bend" the yokes on my straight front axle for a camber correction.!?? Dumbest thing I ever heard.

Thereafter, watching the tires like a hawk, I noticed the same problem developing. I took the truck to the Chevy dealer and they told me that the alignment was ok and I was probably getting bad tires. So I took the truck to a local, highly regarded frame alignment shop and had him align it. He said the alignment was ok as is.

Frustrated, I took the truck home, jacked it up in my driveway and discovered that a stone-simple measurement, using just an ordinary tape measure, gave me quite a difference between the track-width in front vs the same track-width in back of the tire. I held a ball-point pen against a tread rib, spun the wheel and made a perfect thin line to measure from. The tires were obviously very much toed out in front.

The recommended setting was actually supposed to be neutral on this truck, not toed-in as most front steering back then, because the truck had full-time full wheel drive. Pull-torque on the front truck axle would normally cause the front to toe-in from stress. FWD cars are now set toed in front out for this same reason.

I re-adjusted the toe setting to a very slight toe-in, replaced the worn tires maybe 20k down the road and the third set was on there and wore just fine when I sold the truck at around 77k miles.

To top it off, my truck never steered so good as it did after the adjustment. It was a little grabby before the correction. I have no idea why all the alignment machines screwed up, but it must be a common kink in them somewhere. I would recommend anybody who sells alignments to double check their work by hand on occasion or in a troublesome case.

Camber make hardly any difference providing it is the same on both wheels and I imagine excess caster does stress steering because the vehicle has to fight it to turn. Toe settings are very important and that even includes that all our RV trailer axles are in line. There are apparently some commercial trailer shops that do this.

Another point is that autocross racers sometimes set their front steering to be toed out on purpose, as the grabiness seems to make for quicker steering. Some autocross are also cambered out on the bottom to load the front outside tire-tread flatter when turning. From an RV aspect, if wind loads the down-wind tires more, and the steering is toed-out, the RV is likely to dart to the down-wind side more because the tire with the most traction wins. A correct toe-in setting will save a lot of that nuisance.

Finally, all new trucks seem to have stiff ball joints until they break-in, some worse than others. This can overcome normal slight caster and cause the steering to stick, instead of self-centering, pointing in whatever direction it was last aimed, whether from steering input or the previous road-bump. New RV's might need extra driving steering correction until the joints loosen up a bit. This is something I actually measured with a scale and I've also read it online as a Ford TSB.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkracing View Post

ball joint because you are changing the angle.
Especially the 3 1/2*

Your local chassis suspension guy is, to put it succinctly is Full Of It.

These bushing/sleeves have been used for 50 years or more to adjust camber/caster and even the manufacturers have done extensive testing to make sure nothing wears excessively or prematurely fails.

You wouldn't believe the extremes that a Ford F or E series suspension is put through.

The ball joint is designed to deal with 'angle changes as that's why it's BALL joint.

What the "chassis suspension" guy didn't say is that "These things can be a PITA to change and I don't really want to do it if I don't have to. They also require some "math" before selecting the right bushing as changing it can also affect the camber angle and I always pick the wrong bushing". Actually more like consulting the chart with graphic the bushing mfr's supply. Take measurements of caster and camber, go to chart and select bushing that makes desired changes from these measurements. How do I know this? Because for 15 years I used to teach mechanics how to use these bushings when they first came out.

Sounds like this guy is like many that are "Self Trained" and come up with their own theories without any basis in fact.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:47 AM   #5

Rich,

I did find some info to back up some of what I say.

I couldn't find either the pdf by Moog on orderly installation or a downloadable link from Ford on what I called "steering drag". The more popular term "Memory Steer" popped up though, and I believe that is how Ford titled their TSB. It might be this one:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/85-10-22
I don't know if it can be fully opened.

Moog's site isn't quite as friendly as I remember and I couldn't find the link for the pdf sheet I ended up taking to shops to explain the dilemma. A lot of pros give a guy a blank look about this when a fella tries to tell them what procedure he's looking for. I found something better though, this 6 minute YouTube procedure from Raybestos:

Our E-450 chassis is similar to the straight front axle of the earlier 4x4's in that the twin-beam axle employs a yoke measurement on the axle that has to closely match the yoke-spread on the wheel spindle. Because these two yokes don't freely spring apart like A-frames, the final secured ball spacing is critical as demonstrated by the care taken by the ace mechanic that demonstrates the correct way to freeze the upper joint last without squeezing it too tight against the immovable bottom ball joint. Too tight causes the potential bind.

The video also makes it easy to see that some line worker may not realize how a slight error in ball joint assembly could give the consumer fits down the road. Assembling ball joints looks a lot simpler than it really is. The production engineer probably would have no idea to what precision he should be teaching his assembler. Instead of maybe handing him a screw-gun to "speed things up". Factory assembly could easily be a bit erratic.

I don't think its well understood by the public either, as seen in typical threads where folks are willing to buy elaborate $nake-oil do-dads to fix what is probably a rather simpler, but hidden problem. I'd guess there is a lack of wise feedback to the factory, if any. The steering seems loose, but randomly it's too tight. Loose would be caught right away, but tight seems harmless enough to almost everybody.

Some other links:
https://www.mevotech.com/tsb/addresssing-memory-steer/

https://www.tirereview.com/solving-f...teer-problems/
got the vid link here

https://www.thedieselstop.com/thread...eering.169838/
this guy decribes some of the frustration with shops I've felt,
don't know if his problem is the ball-binder though

The best test was the Ford TSB suggestion to measure the steering wheel drag. Unfortunately Ford never gave specs, but expected the tech to use best judgement as to whether the steering was tighter than "normal". I used a fish scale in this thread to actually measure my memory-steer problem:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2465663

I had the luxury of having another truck to compare. I'm going to guess that our E-450's are similar to these -250's in having a standard steer drag and that if you get over 10# of drag on your steering, it's going to affect the proper caster setting by making the steering stick in a new, random direction after every little bump. Eight pounds was passable for me. The good thing is that although many new RV's have this annoyance (my friend I both), it usually goes away as the clearances wear in.

How to:
Put the front truck axle up on jack stands with the tires just barely clearing the ground so that there is no rubber dragging. All steering rod angles remain normal.

With the engine off for cold, un-boosted tension, pull the steering wheel in an appropriate arc from one of the spokes just inside the rim. The drag tension as it slowly turns, should measure between 5 and 15 pounds. Five is good, 15 is too much drag.

This is what the FR factory could be doing to test the so-called bad handling of the Ford "C" chassis. Mine was stiff, now it's good. The handling is fine... no "handling" gizmo$ needed.

Hope this helps.

Wes
Old 04-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tausend View Post

With the engine off for cold, un-boosted tension, pull the steering wheel in an appropriate arc from one of the spokes just inside the rim. The drag tension as it slowly turns, should measure between 5 and 15 pounds. Five is good, 15 is too much drag.
This problem has occurred with other manufacturer's vehicles although most were 4X4's. The SOP with any design where this occurs is to perform adjustments with the tie-rod disconnected from the steering arm and "preload" tested with a fish scale on the end of the steering arm. Tension should remain fairly even through the entire range of travel.

It's best to test this preload separate from the steering gear as it can be a source of problems if not properly adjusted itself.

Of course results are ultimately all that matter. It's just that isolating assemblies so you are only adjusting one at a time can often get to the goal quicker.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #7

That's very true, Mike. Thanks for the reply.

I just used the steering wheel method looking for the overall effect and it was really quick, only about 15-20 minutes to jack it up and put some stands under it. It might be procedure that should be done first and last on every alignment job. It could discourage the all too common caster-increase Band-Aid.

I'm not a big fan of changing caster away from factory engineering specs. Such vehicles tend to climb the ever-present road crown... then wear from being forced straight, climb all over road grooves when folks aren't expecting it, are harder to turn (especially when braking) and almost hazardous when backing any distance, especially if one hits a surprise bump during a one-handed casual handgrip while looking back. Big tires would make it all worse.

A few guys have done their own ball joints. The quick hand test shown in the first minute of the 6 minute video would be a great test of the ball joints resistance right after installation, by privateer and pro shop alike.

TRIVIA:
I told that first shop manager (that installed the joints for the PO) right up front that I didn't expect warranty and would pay, but I had to explain why and point out that there was an error to correct if they were going to get it right. Nobody likes to hear it, I guess.

After this original tire shop manager more-or-less told me to get lost, I talked to several other automotive type alignment shops and nobody understood, except the one commercial truck shop. I simply needed to have the joints loosened and retightened in the correct order. It's easy to see why in the video. The upper split bushing expands and locks at the correct height only after the tapered bottom bolt is already up and correctly in place.

A savvy mechanic should be able to feel the difference on a frame hoist, before vs after my too-tight scenario. But, I suppose a re-do job comes across as a potential loser when the shop may fear further dissatisfaction. I've worked as a shop mechanic too, in my teens and early twenties, and certain jobs make a shop and/or mechanic leery right off.

This was the same tire shop my RV dealer recently sent me to for a rear spring-pad U-bolt recall on my Class C. Apparently some U-bolts came loose or broke after the RV manufacturer installed airbags, I'd guess? It is my understanding they are one-time torque-to-yield bolts:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque-to-yield_fastener).

So I expected the mechanic to merely inspect and apply correct torque to make sure they weren't loose.

When I asked how it went, as I picked the RV up, the mechanic proudly told me how he had loosened them and re-tightened them to the specified torque. Perfect, except they are supposed a one-time use bolt. This might be the third time... I am not impressed.
He also left black grease on the steering wheel, the seat and the door. My wife was not impressed either.

Likable people otherwise, I'll still buy tires from them, remembering to ask that they not soil my seats. But absolutely no other shop work.

Wes
Old 04-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tausend View Post

He also left black grease on the steering wheel, the seat and the door. My wife was not impressed either.

Likable people otherwise, I'll still buy tires from them, remembering to ask that they not soil my seats. But absolutely no other shop work.

Wes
Back in the 80's my late wife was Asst Mgr in a tire stop (where I first met her).

WE had a neighbor that went to the store for new tires on his car. Shortly after he paid and left, he returned not too happy. He asked if the grease on the front of his seat was included in the price of the tires.

My wife looked then told him "just a minute", and called a nearby detail shop. Set up an appointment to get his car "detailed" later that afternoon and to bill the store.

She then went out to the shop and reminded the "crew" that the cost of the detailing would be taken out of the "Christmas Party Fund". From then on everyone made sure NOBODY got into cars without seat and floor protectors. The crew members also used a "blanket" supplied by the uniform supply service that they put around their shoulders as they got into the cars to move them.

The reason the message struck home was that the Annual Christmas Party had an open bar and nobody wanted to see that cut back

Old 04-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #9

LMAO, Mike.

If I'd already had your story, I probably would've mentioned the grease to the truck shop manager... along with the solution.

Wes

Tags
e450