Old 03-11-2019, 02:45 AM   #1

Excessive Tire Wear On One Tire

Just noticed I am getting excessive tire wear on one tire on our Coachmen 320BHDSLE on a trip from Houston to Arkansas. Carsile Radial Trail HD. Itís the Right rear. I always check tire and hub temps at every stop and pressures before departing. The temps of this tire have stayed consistent with the others. The tread wear is dead even across the tire. Honestly I havenít paid really close attention to the actual tire wear as I have been more concerned with the pressure and temps, my bad for sure as I canít tell for sure actually how fast the tire is wearing. I noticed this on our first stop so have been monitoring the rest of the trip and judging by the wear indicators on the tires, they really didnít wear anything noticeable on this trip.

Given the temp staying consistent with the others and the even wear, could this a tire compound issue in that this one is just wearing faster. The tires do have about 10,000 miles them and at 3 years old.
Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #2

Left Rear Tire?

What type of suspension and axles do you have? How does the left rear tire look — is it showing more wear than your left front tire? If so, it is possible that you have an axle alignment problem. Of course, there are so many other things to consider, but this was the problem with a previously-owned trailer of mine.

There are several people here with so much more knowledge than I possess on this topic. Hopefully they will chime in.

Bruce
Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

Itís the standard leaf spring suspension. It does have the spread axles. The other three tires look exactly the same with significantly more thread than the right rear. Either way Iím going to have the alignment checked, itís just very strange how the other three are wearing the same and just one is wearing more and it isnít getting any hotter and the wear that it has is even across the tread.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

Since it is even wear I would consider putting the spare on & closely watch it for the same type of wear issue.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
ARLO

Stay away from Tow Max. I had one blow at 2200 miles. it did 2000.00 damage'
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

I had excessive wear on the inside edge of all 4 tires. Replaced all the bushings that were almost not there anymore. Normal wear now. Only reason I noticed the wear was when I went under to adjust the brakes!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Since it is even wear I would consider putting the spare on & closely watch it for the same type of wear issue.

Yeah thatís what Iím think Iím going to do. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #8

Run your hand across the face of the tire from side to side. See if you can feel a sharp edge on one side of the tread elements (ribs). While the tire wear can look flat across the face of the tire if the outside edge of the tread element is sharper than the inside edge, the tire is running with excessive tow out. Reverse is true if edge is sharper on inside, excessive toe in. Tandem axles can have one wheel out of alignment and have one tire wear more rapidly, unlike on steering axles where you excessive toe (in or out) is equalized by turning the steering wheel until vehicle steers straight. In that case both tires will wear. Same with a single axle where the trailer will merely move to one side or the other and to someone following they'll see it dog-tracking.

One other possibility although more rare, you have a tire with a softer tread compound (as cured) than the other three. Only way to tell if that's the case is to test with a Durometer (a dial indicator type device with a spring loaded pin).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #9

I am guessing you have a Bent axel. rotate the tires and continue watching the wear. there is no alignment on these trailer axels. you can take it to a big truck trailer shop and they can bend it into alignment using their equipment
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Old Engineer

W5CI's comment X 2

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #11

Take a close look at the spring hangers and see if they are bent. Big problem with spread axles.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info. Iíll do more investigating into it.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
TBarbs

I have a 2018 29RLX Wildcat. Came back from travel last winter and my left rear was wearing badly and the other three were good. Took it to a truck shop and they adjusted the rear axle. I could see it had a lot more camber in it when I got it home. Put the spare on the right rear and use the worn tire as a spare now. I now have another 8k on the trailer and all are wearing the same. By the way the tires are Goodyear Endurance.
So my guess is the same as W5CIís
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replyís. Indeed it does look like a bent axle. I couldnít tell earlier but now have confirmed the outside of the passenger side rear tire is wearing more than the rest, but the tire as a whole is wearing significantly more than the other three.

Tags
tire