Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #1

Expected brake system mileage

I have a 2018 WolfPup and I was wondering if everything is working properly what would be the expected mileage/time to replace the trailer brakes?
razzle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #2

Tough to answer.

Depends how aggressive your trailer brakes apply and how many miles are highway vs stop and go city driving. Best to just take a peek at them once a year and see how much lining is left.
Just an FYI I have 15,000 on mine and plenty of lining left but it's all highway driving.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #3

Just like Mike said, miles are not a good wear indicator for brakes on RV towables, same as tires and suspension.
Brake wear will depend on how you drive, how you set your brake controller, type/weight of tow vehicle, and where you drive.
For my lightweight RV towables I never replaced the brakes, but I had most of them five years or less. No idea how many miles but they got considerable use.
I repack wheel bearings once a year and would inspect brakes and suspension at the same time.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks Guy's, That what I was needing just general knowledge.
razzle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:58 AM   #5

As others have said changing brakes should be based on wear not time or milage.

I too have never replaced trailer brakes but I do not pull them too much in stop and go traffic or mountains. I also have always towed with a full size pickup.Been towing trailers since 1985.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #6

I pull in the mountains quite a bit. I apply my brakes as little as possible, meaning that I downshift on pretty much every hill to cut the use of my brakes. I have never heated my brakes up to the point that I could not touch them with my hand as soon as I stop, even in the mountains. My brakes on this camper have 20,000 miles on them and they still have a majority of their lining remaining. I will probably be worn out sooner than my brakes.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #7
D W

In my experience, the brake hardware or magnets will fail long before the shoe linings wear out. I've has bushings in the actuating lever go bad as well as magnet keepers and springs wear out. My neighbor had a top retracting spring snap on his 5er two years ago. When that happens it's cheaper and more convenient to replace the assembly rather than piece-meal parts. Good advice to check them yearly, though.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #8

Brake Life

Just doing yearly maintenance, always pull the wheels and hubs to inspect the brake assembly and to re-pack the wheel bearings. Assemble the wheels and adjust the brakes as needed. Do NOT swap positions of the hubs or wheels.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Just doing yearly maintenance, always pull the wheels and hubs to inspect the brake assembly and to re-pack the wheel bearings. Assemble the wheels and adjust the brakes as needed. Do NOT swap positions of the hubs or wheels.

Bob
I'll disagree with you about swapping wheels. I typically do 5-tire rotation every 5000 miles on the trailer. I do 5 tires to keep the spare from just aging out on the bumper.

The hubs/and drums like you said should not be swapped.

Safe travels
Old 08-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #10

Since the wheels are not steering, and the wheels are not powered, the wear should be symmetrical on each one with proper inflation. Wear patterns may develop because of the axles not being perfectly true with the direction of travel.

I've not found the need to rotate tires/wheels as necessarily performed on a tow vehicle. As to 5 tire rotation, 5 years is about the life limit regardless if they are on the ground or as a spare on the bumper. Nothing to be gained.

Bob

"I'll disagree with you about swapping wheels. I typically do 5-tire rotation every 5000 miles on the trailer. I do 5 tires to keep the spare from just aging out on the bumper.

The hubs/and drums like you said should not be swapped."
Old 08-06-2022, 09:00 PM   #11

If one tows like many drive their cars, running up to stop lites/signs then braking hard, ride brakes on downhill grades, or doesn't anticipate sliwdowns (by watching), trailer brakes won't last long.

Remember that when towing the combination weight can easily be twice the weight of the tow vehicle so "energy management" really helps prolong brakes.

Coast up to stops and conserve momentum for when you start/ resume speed. Light might change before you get there or slowdown ahead won't require heavy braking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Since the wheels are not steering, and the wheels are not powered, the wear should be symmetrical on each one with proper inflation. Wear patterns may develop because of the axles not being perfectly true with the direction of travel.

I've not found the need to rotate tires/wheels as necessarily performed on a tow vehicle. As to 5 tire rotation, 5 years is about the life limit regardless if they are on the ground or as a spare on the bumper. Nothing to be gained.

Bob
Obviously, you don't put the miles on your camper that I do. If I kept my tires for 5 years no doubt, they'd be bald.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #13

Driving and towing

S T O P = Slide tires on pavement. Use maximum pressure on the brake pedal.

S T O P = Spin tires on pavement. Use maximum pressure on the accelerator pedal.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #14
D W

Quote:

I've not found the need to rotate tires/wheels as necessarily performed on a tow vehicle. As to 5 tire rotation, 5 years is about the life limit regardless if they are on the ground or as a spare on the bumper. Nothing to be gained"
I stopped rotating tires decades ago, on everything. In theory, it sounds like a good idea, but if you've got abnormal wear on one or two tires then you have a mechanical or balance problem that needs to be corrected. Moving a good tire to the position where one has exhibited abnormal wear makes no sense. You've just "rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic", so to speak. Any yes, ST tires are going to age out whether they're on the ground or not.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #15

Why would you not do a 5 tire rotation? You just toss the spare tire away at some time in the future never having used it?

BTW 5 years may make YOU feel good, but you can go 7-8 years without issue.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #16

Why Take A Chance?

A blowout at highway speed not only destroys the tire but how many times have we read where extensive trailer damage is done? Too dang many times in my opinion.

As a pilot, we do practice emergency procedures and hope and pray we never have to put them into effect. I view that the same with tires. Always have a "what if" in your pocket. And one of the things to remove from the "what if" list is tire failure. A flat is one thing, a blowout from tire failure due to speed, heat, or age is another. For these items, we are in control.

Bob
Old 08-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #17

I went looking for bonified information on tire aging.

NOT ONE article had it at 5 years. That seems to be just the number keyboard warriors parroting what each other says. I guess you have 5 fingers so yea lets use the number 5 for how many years to replace .

For those looking for real info here's a couple of links.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9719_S1N_Tires_Nwsltr_June13_062713_v4_tag.pdf (2.37 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel.pdf (4.38 MB, 20 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post

NOT ONE article had it at 5 years. That seems to be just the number keyboard warriors parroting what each other says. I guess you have 5 fingers so yea lets use the number 5 for how many years to replace .

Maybe you should pay more attention to some 'keyboard warriors' methods The articles you list are great for automobiles, not so much for ST towable tires.
A quick search gave me pages of articles from reliable sources specifically about ST type tires on towables. I got a range from 3 to 7 years for aging out.
I thought about listing them, but figure you can practice looking them up yourself to hone your keyboard skills
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post

Sorry you are not searching in the right places plus one of you articles sites info that appears to be 20 years old and neither mention trailer tires.

If you want real life info talk to the tire experts........ and those who pull trailers. I can say I basically pull 7 trailers and at about 5 plus or minus years the cheaper brands start showing signs of age cracking. Many times if you read the date codes on the tires they are older than you think.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #20

Keep in mind there are folks who recommend you change your engine oil every 5000 or even 3000 miles vs the 10,000 miles recommended by the manufacturer. This is called overkill and it always works!

I just replaced the 5-year old ST tires on my camper in preparation for a 3 week camping safari this October. Admitted overkill but I'd rather not have another blowout like I had 5 years ago with 10-year old tires. No experience is quite like changing a tire in the gravel on the side of a major highway -- carry a floor jack and rattle wrench?

Call it a bet or overkill or insurance. Your tires. Your trailer. Your money.

-- Chuck