Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Feeling lazy - What's the weight of a castle rock 205/14 spare tire?

What I asked. Don't feel like dismounting it and doing the bathroom scale dance & math
Gotta allow for the spare's weight on the rear platform for loading. Platform is rated at 200# max.
Thanks.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Team

There was a thread here awhile back about the same thing. IIRC I figured that the tire and wheel combo weighed about 50lbs, depending on which tire and wheel you have.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Don't forget the 65-80lbs of air you add to the spare
Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Don't forget the 65-80lbs of air you add to the spare
You need to put smiley faces on to make sure you let people know you are kidding.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Castle Rock

As of Monday, I officially hate Castle Rock. HOw'd you guess, I had a blow out?
I had just checked the tires, ran them all up to the poundage specified on the sidewall, and took off. Headed for home from our Solar Installer, side roads, and doing mostly 45-55 MPH. No strain, no pot holes, no excessive heat, No excessive weight, tires in perfect condition, half mile past the light in Bulverde, TX and BOOM. The tire tore completely from bean to treat in two places on the inside face. The escaping air blew off the entire back half of the belly fabric. So THAT was dragging on the ground. I crawled around under the rig, and used my rope to lash the bely fabric back up off the road (150 bucks to get it repaired today), and waited for AAA. Bought Tires Wednesday, 4 Hercules (made by Cooper in USA, 14 ply). i absolutely despise Chinese tires as standard equipment.
Phew. Rant over, back to the OP.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

"hankpac"s post is ironic for today. I was a local tire store this morning to have my trucks tires rotated, balanced and front end alignment when a very nice 5-er came in. One reason that it was interesting is that there is not much room in the parking lot for a rig that long. He was rolling on three tires as the right side rear was torn to shreds. He had no spare either. He is a local guy and I overheard the conversation that he was only about ten (10) miles out of town coming back from the beach when the tire blew. Of course he described it as an atomic bomb had been dropped just behind his tow vehicle, a Ford F-250 Super Duty. The blown tire damaged a large chunk of his wheel well and heavily damaged cabinets in the kitchen. He had them install four (4) new Goodyear Endurance tires and will bring the spare in for another new Goodyear. As he stated "I've never had a need for a spare tire and I got tired of carrying it around, just more weight on the camper". The tires he had were "Consortium" (?), something I have never heard of. China bombs maybe?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You need to put smiley faces on to make sure you let people know you are kidding.
I put a big grin

Mike

Tags
tire, weight