Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #1

Flipping axles back to stock on Sandstorm

I just purchased a Sandstorm T210 and I would like to flip the axles back to the springs under the axle. The previous owner said he had them flipped above for higher clearance, however there is only one spring perch on the axle. My understanding was that another spring perch would have to be welded or bolted on to accommodate the flip.
I'm wondering if they removed the brake modules and turned the axle 180 degrees so the spring perch would be on top, then reinstalled the brake modules.
Would this not affect the camber of the axle?

Any input is much appreciated. I'm going to contact Lippert and see what they have to say as well.
dillydilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. What year is your rig? If its a straight axle you should be able to unbolt the spindle and other hardware and place the axle on top of the spring and reinstall the spindle and such. side not get new shackle U bolts and nuts.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Do you not need or want the clearance?
The proper axle brackets can be had for about $60/pr. They bolt up through the original brackets on the bottom of the axle, through new ones and around the axle.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #4

My trailer is a 2014. I don’t really need the high axles. I’ll have to see which way the camber on the axle is to make sure I can flip it without bowing out the wheels.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #5

You don't flip axles if you want to maintain proper camber. You merely move them from bottom to top of spring or top to bottom, depending on up or down.

The spring perch then needs to be cut off and moved to the correct position.

Axles have a top and bottom due to the bend that created positive camber.

Spring mounts might be shortened depending on their length and distance of bolts below the frame.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #6

I understand the camber on the axles. The previous owner said he had them flipped, however I did not see any new spring perch welded or the old ones removed and re-welded. I assumed whoever flipped the axles turned the axle 180 degrees and remounted the brake modules.
I will verify this next time I go to my trailer and check which direction the camber is with a long straight edge.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillydilly View Post
I understand the camber on the axles. The previous owner said he had them flipped, however I did not see any new spring perch welded or the old ones removed and re-welded. I assumed whoever flipped the axles turned the axle 180 degrees and remounted the brake modules.
I will verify this next time I go to my trailer and check which direction the camber is with a long straight edge.
The curve may even be visible by just looking along bottom from rear.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #8

Sorry, been busy. So it looks as if I need to purchase a spring perch/saddle and have it welded. I'm thinking of leaving the old one and weld the new one exactly opposite of the existing one. Then move the springs underneath.

Tags
axle