Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #1

Ford trailer TPMS

For those of you having experience with Ford's trailer TPMS system, can I get a 5th sensor to monitor the spare? My impression is that it will monitor up 6 tires. If true, I can register the spare as a 5th tire and ignore the 6th, but I haven't confirmed that.

Also, in my experience, the truck TPMS sensors update only after moving a few minutes. If that's the case, would the spare ever register or update, since it never rotates? If I got a sensor, would it not be monitored until it was actually mounted, at which point I'd have to go through the programming procedure?

On a related note, does my full-size spare tire on the truck have a TPMS sensor? It's the same cast wheel as those mounted on the axles. If so, I assume I'd have to reprogram it if I ever have to change a tire, since the truck only monitors 4 at a time (as far as I know).

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Team

My full size spare, on a steel wheel, does not have a TPMS module. I do not believe one was installed on any of the other F-150s I've owned either.

TOAD: 2024 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2 Door, 2.7L EcoBoost, 10 Speed Automatic, 334A Luxury Package.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
My full size spare, on a steel wheel, does not have a TPMS module. I do not believe one was installed on any of the other F-150s I've owned either.
Is the steel wheel the same as what is mounted on the axles? My spare is a cast wheel that matches those on the truck. The tire is the same, as well. I do wish the previous owner had rotated the tires. If they had, I could get another year out of the set of 5, at least.

I guess I could try the programming procedure and let air out of the spare, to see if it registers. That would tell me if has a sensor.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #4

Spare Tire TPMS

The Ford Tremor forum talks about the Ford system for triple axle fifth wheel (six sensors) and that they all show up on the screen. So why not use four for the tandem axle, a fifth one for the spare and have one blank

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/f...sensors.12019/
jrschneider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Is the steel wheel the same as what is mounted on the axles? My spare is a cast wheel that matches those on the truck.

No, I have nice Ford wheels on the truck. The tire was a mismatched brand as well. Both those issues kept me from using the spare when rotating the tires every 5K. The truck came with Hankook tires that were fading fast at only 20k miles. So I bought myself a set of new Michelin tires for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Shoes F-150 12:21:23.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	297198  

TOAD: 2024 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2 Door, 2.7L EcoBoost, 10 Speed Automatic, 334A Luxury Package.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrschneider99 View Post
The Ford Tremor forum talks about the Ford system for triple axle fifth wheel (six sensors) and that they all show up on the screen. So why not use four for the tandem axle, a fifth one for the spare and have one blank

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/f...sensors.12019/
I haven't read the linked thread yet but I'm hoping to do what you suggested. What I don't know is whether a tire has to be rotating for the truck to receive it. That may be the case, since adding air to a tire isn't recognized by the truck until you drive a little bit.

If that's true, buying a 5th sensor won't get me much. The truck won't monitor it unless it's rotating, meaning I won't know if it's lost air unless I measure it. (Yes, I know I should, but I'm forgetful.) It would monitor if I mount the spare to replace a blown tire, but that would be useful only for a short time. I will fix and replace the original tire promptly.

If I ever take a long trip on a remote road, like the AL-CAN highway, I would have 2 spares and sensors on both. I might not have the opportunity to fix the tire quickly and the risk of pressure loss would be higher, under those conditions.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:00 PM   #7

Tires aren't rotating when you link them to the system

I have the Ford TPMS system for my trailer (tandem axle). When I set it up the tires weren't being rotated as I was instructed to bleed off about 3-5 psi to get the system to recognize the TPMS.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:26 PM   #8

Rock Auto Shrader Valve TPMS System

I saw this today in my Rock Auto newsletter. It states you can buy a fifth sensor for a spare tire.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=15519025

It says the display is solar powered.
This would be an option to consider for tow vehicles that don't have the trailer package, and older model vehicles that don't have TPMS for the vehicle tires.
I don't know if you could buy two, one for the trailer and one for the tow vehicle and not have an issue with crossing up the signals from the potential ten (10) TPMS sensors.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:54 PM   #9

I've done more research and learned some. Hopefully, what I think I learned is actually accurate.

Apparently, sensors are inactive unless moving. I guess that helps preserve the battery. I can buy a 5th Ford sensor for my spare but the truck won't monitor it (neither truck nor trailer spare) even if I can record it in the system because they're not rotating.

My understanding is that I don't need a special tool to register any TPMS sensor to my truck. I do have to go through the programming procedure whenever I change tire positions but I can do that by initiating program mode (ignition on, hazard lights on/off X3, jump up and down, pat head, rub stomach) and release some air pressure. That works for any compatible sensor.

Alternatively, this cheap tool from Amazon does it without releasing air, which requires that I reinflate the tire. That's my plan.

I cannot monitor the spare tire pressures unless mounted, which is what I hoped. Oh, well. The above means I can monitor them once mounted. I plan to buy a 5th sensor for the trailer, and one for the truck if the spare doesn't already have one. I'll use the programming tool to link them to the truck if I mount them on a wheel.

I already have a separate TPMS sensor that came with the trailer, a TST-507. The trailer wheels have banded sensors. I bought an extra cap for the spare. They work well but I want to reduce the number of different systems I have cluttering the cockpit of the truck. That's why I'm pursuing the Ford wired TPMS system.

What I'm unclear on is whether there's a difference between the sensors on the truck on the sensors on the trailer. The Ford parts site says trailer sensors don't work on truck wheels. I assume the truck wheel TPMS is a different frequency? The trailer sensors are 433MHz. Are the truck sensors 315MHz?

Tags
ford, tpms, trailer