RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Four "Blown" Wheel Seals?

2017 VIBE 251RKS. Trailer Brakes have been locking in reverse, not forward. Dealer says ALL 4 Wheel Seals have Blown and soaked, shoes, drums, etc. Has anyone had ALL FOUR go out all at once? I have a worthless extended warranty from RV Elite+..no help. Dealer says it'll be nearly $500 to do the replacement...I told them I'll do it myself for about $50/wheel.

The trailer has low mileage, stored under cover, no service has been done...no grease added. I feel the selling dealer pumped added grease into the zerk fittings or it was overfilled at the factory. Really frustrated.
1931 Ford Deluxe Roadster
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #2

I have 2018 5er and all 4 seal were junk and someone at factory installed wrong seal.The new seals from part house only $7.00 a peice and i now know it done correctly it took couple hours fix so to me not a big deal.
As far as any warranties factory or exstend in my opinion are worthless i refuse to purchase exstended warranties in the long run i fix it my self and save money.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Since you're doing the repair yourself take a good look at the seal mating surface on the spindle. Rust is common in the Northwest especially on trailers that arent used frequently. Even when covered mousture in the air can cause this problem.

Rust is abrasive and can erode the seal lip.

Regardless, you'll see better when you take it apart yourself.

BTW, the $50 per wheel you mentioned is cost of materials only. Dealer has to pay for the shop, equipment, employee, taxes, insurance, and hopefully make a profit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #4

Contact manufacturer

I had 3 of the 4 blown and other associated issues with Never Adjust brakes on a brand new unit. If you have Dexter brakes you should take pics and contact them. They are working to make my situation right. Theyíve extended their warranty to 5 years on the self adjusting brakes. Itís worth a call.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Head Rambler

We had the same thing. All 4 seals blown and grease soaked brake shoes. Like you I believe that the dealer had the grease pumped into the EZ-Lube fittings and that compromised the seals. I ordered new loaded backing plates from etrailer for less than the individual components cost and installed them myself.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
We had the same thing. All 4 seals blown and grease soaked brake shoes. Like you I believe that the dealer had the grease pumped into the EZ-Lube fittings and that compromised the seals. I ordered new loaded backing plates from etrailer for less than the individual components cost and installed them myself.
etrailer carries two different loaded backing plate "brands", Axle-Tek and Dexter. Which did you get and how do you like.

I've also seen loaded backing plates for considerably less $$ from Southwest Wheel Co.

https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-30-...ssemblies.aspx

$40 per loaded backing plate (10" non adjust) or about $35 less per pair than Dexter. Anyone here have experience with the Southwest Wheel parts?

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

Not priced this stuff but I'd consider replacing everything including the hubs. New spindles, bearings, seals, and brakes. You're doing most of the work anyway just changing the seals. Buy this at a trailer specialty shop, not a RV dealer.

Heck, get radical and replace complete axles, hubs, brakes as a unit. I've seen videos of hot shot truckers doing this on the side of the road in a couple of hours. Potentially less labor than the individual parts.

-- Chuck
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
etrailer carries two different loaded backing plate "brands", Axle-Tek and Dexter. Which did you get and how do you like....
I bought two sets of 12" Axle-Technologies units and they've worked fine in the few years since they've been installed. I pull the hubs every couple of years and check all the parts. So far, so good.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 AM   #9

I guess I work cheap...I do on my other cars. I have 3,500# Lippert axles so I'm trying to figure out if the standard replacement parts will work on my trailer or do I have to buy something special. Thinking about your (or someones) comment about rust in the Pacific Northwest...we live in Bend, OR and nothing rusts here, it just dries out. ;-)
1931 Ford Deluxe Roadster
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
Tundra 2014

Seals

If you have the EZ-Fill and someone down the chain pumps grease in them w/ out following instructions this can happen. You have to get the wheel off the ground and spin it as you are pumping grease in. I also would call Dexter, good to deal w/ and may help you. You might pull model and see #'s to have available.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
If you have the EZ-Fill and someone down the chain pumps grease in them w/ out following instructions this can happen. You have to get the wheel off the ground and spin it as you are pumping grease in. I also would call Dexter, good to deal w/ and may help you. You might pull model and see #'s to have available.
Now who would ever do that?

Not only are you only supposed to grease when turning the wheels but the instructions specifically warn against using any powered grease gun that delivers grease too fast.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #12

I had been a proponent of grease seal replacement, and EZ lubes for quite awhile, until I took mine apart this fall and found that grease had gotten past one of my seals. (I had just done seals the year before). I was able to clean everything up with Brake Parts Cleaner. I repacked the bearings, and put in new seals, but I definitely will not be pumping the EZ lubes full as I had been. It's better just to pull and lube the bearings with new seals, than to have that mess to clean up, not to mention all of the safety issues.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
I guess I work cheap...I do on my other cars. I have 3,500# Lippert axles so I'm trying to figure out if the standard replacement parts will work on my trailer or do I have to buy something special. Thinking about your (or someones) comment about rust in the Pacific Northwest...we live in Bend, OR and nothing rusts here, it just dries out. ;-)
Pull one hub apart take seal to local parts store so they can cross the seal # they are few dollars more than rv supplie store.the seal i got was national brand and is hell lot better than what you get from rv supplier.most parts houses stock bearing and seal kit for those axles.
I live on oregon coast and dont need anything special for rust prevention everything that needs protected is in grease.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #14

My seals didn't fit as tight in the hubs as I thought they should...I use permatex now and solved my problems...I always hand grease.....Here is and old thread on it....

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ls-113889.html
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Did the first bearing pack and seal replacement on my Son in Laws new travel trailer. Found one seal leaking with less than 300 miles on the trailer. (Not counting delivery miles). I've read a number of posts where people go to Timken bearings also. I may do that next time. Lippert and Dexter probably use cheaper Chinese made bearings and seals on initial installation. Saves a penny per axle, right?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:39 AM   #16

That had to be done at the axle factory. The trailer company doesn't assemble or check Crapola.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #17

They could have been blown out at the dealer if they added grease as well using the ez-lube if they did it wrong.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #18

If the OP hasn't moved forward yet. They may want to think about upgrading the brake system to a electric/hydraulic disc system. Much better stopping and a blown seal will most likely only foul one side of the disc.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #19

All of my seals were blown out when I got it. It was used. I do not use the zerks. I pack mine the old fashion way.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If the OP hasn't moved forward yet. They may want to think about upgrading the brake system to a electric/hydraulic disc system. Much better stopping and a blown seal will most likely only foul one side of the disc.
And if he's going to go the disc brake route I'd recommend converting to oil filled hubs too.

2004 Nissan Titan

Tags
seal, wheel