Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Frame rust and spring failure

This was my first RV in quite a while. I have a 2017 Freedom Express Liberty Edition. The frame is very rusty, with small amounts of metal falling off when I scraped it. I then treated the frame with a product that seals the rust, then repainted it. Is it common for there to be enough rust in 2 years that slivers of metal flake off?

Also, both springs on the curb side failed. The arch is gone and I had to replace them. Is this common for a two year old camper?

Is this consistent with other’s experiences? I’m pretty disappointed but maybe my expectations are too high? Thanks,
psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Commercial Member

psdx,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2017 Freedom Express Liberty Edition. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Steve Brandenberger in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServ...67282130014314.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

I immediately used the link provided to contact your customer service department. It’s been ten days with no response. Is there an alternate contact method you can recommend, or can you ask your customer service department to contact me directly?
Old 10-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Most folks have received timely responses to this type of link from Forest River.
I suggest you try the link again as your 1st one may have somehow gotten lost in cyber space or something....
Good luck. Please let us of further developments.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Sent another message this morning. Worth a try. I have a 10 year old utility trailer with on minor surface rust. There are absolutely zero places where you can scrape slivers of metal off. That and failed springs is really disappointing after only two years....
Old 10-27-2019, 12:07 AM   #6

Flat springs

I also have a 2017 FE 292BHDS and had to replace all 4 springs b/c they were all flattened. I did some research and it seems a fairly common problem on this model. It appears like the trailer has been overloaded but mine never has. As far as rust, we live in AZ so not a big problem here but I haven’t noticed anything unusual. New springs are not tremendously expensive and I would suggest you go with a higher capacity spring for a little more safety margin.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Rez View Post
I I would suggest you go with a higher capacity spring for a little more safety margin.
I replaced the 1750 lb springs with 2000 lb springs.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #8

You should have a little better wheel well clearance with those, good choice.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #9

Forest River Blew Me Off

I eventually got a message from FR customer service team reminding me my warranty was up, a rusted frame is to be expected and spring failure happens. They asked for pictures. I responded within a hour with pictures and a video showing a putty knife peeling layers of metal off. Two months later, no response. The original reply from FR was a PR move with no substance. It would have been better if they never commented with all their “concern”. FR is a big NO for me. YMMV
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

psdx - Where do you live? Asking because location matters in relation to rust.

Last year while on vacation in Destin FL we decided to take a few hours to do some RV shopping. We had been looking at Grand Design online and found a dealer close to Destin. When we got there, I was SOOOO disappointed that a brand new 5er on their lot had rust on their frame. Now it wasn't the kind where chunks of metal would come off as you described but nonetheless, it was rust. Our rig, at the time being 8 years old, had no frame rust ----- but we live in central NC.

My thought is that environmental factors (e.g. living by the coast, hauling on salted roads, etc) plays a factor. Wondering if any of those apply to you.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdx View Post
I eventually got a message from FR customer service team reminding me my warranty was up, a rusted frame is to be expected and spring failure happens. They asked for pictures. I responded within a hour with pictures and a video showing a putty knife peeling layers of metal off. Two months later, no response. The original reply from FR was a PR move with no substance. It would have been better if they never commented with all their “concern”. FR is a big NO for me. YMMV
Well, I am another that was hoping these seemingly more frequent posts by ER_FR (and now a few others) wasn't a case of marketing "let's pull the wool over everyone's eyes and make ourselves look good" response.

I wish they would have given you something more than false hope via a canned reply.

Best of luck with whatever route you choose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
psdx - Where do you live? Asking because location matters in relation to rust.
I live in Ohio. During one trip to Florida in January there was salt on the road. The campground we stayed at allowed washing of RVs so I did wash it the day after arrival. It sits outside next to a 10-year old tandem axle utility trailer that’s been pulled on lots of salty roads and never washed. There are a few (very few) places with minor surface rust. It’s either better steel, better paint, or both. The difference is staggering.

I scraped and wire brushed the entire frame, treated it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, and painted the entire frame. I put new springs and a wet bolt kit on it also. I took care of it the best I knew how and got rid of it. Once it became clear FR customer service was just a bunch of fluff, I voted with my feet.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I live in Ohio. During one trip to Florida in January there was salt on the road. The campground we stayed at allowed washing of RVs so I did wash it the day after arrival. It sits outside next to a 10-year old tandem axle utility trailer that’s been pulled on lots of salty roads and never washed. There are a few (very few) places with minor surface rust. It’s either better steel, better paint, or both. The difference is staggering.

I scraped and wire brushed the entire frame, treated it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, and painted the entire frame. I put new springs and a wet bolt kit on it also. I took care of it the best I knew how and got rid of it. Once it became clear FR customer service was just a bunch of fluff, I voted with my feet.
there are a few threads on this issue that I've seen. Our 2007 Rockwood really only has rust on the axles that I'm assuming is from being blasted by gravel. Other than that, the only place where the paint is affected is near the battery - I assume a battery leaked on a previous owner. My BIL's 2016? Jayco frame already looks worse than ours.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Herschel

Quote:
This was my first RV in quite a while. I have a 2017 Freedom Express Liberty Edition. The frame is very rusty, with small amounts of metal falling off when I scraped it. I then treated the frame with a product that seals the rust, then repainted it. Is it common for there to be enough rust in 2 years that slivers of metal flake off?

Also, both springs on the curb side failed. The arch is gone and I had to replace them. Is this common for a two year old camper?

Is this consistent with other’s experiences? I’m pretty disappointed but maybe my expectations are too high? Thanks,
I posted this a few days ago. Then I found your post. Do you have nay advice for me before I start my project based on your experience applying an undercoat your self. "I just finished applying the full POR15 treatment plus topcoat to my 22-year old dual axle steel boat trailer, which has been stowed outdoors in Florida for the past 16 years. I had to have the three main steel cross pieces that support the boat bunks replaced with new steel due to excessive rust. After that two-month project, I decided to examine the state of rust on the frame of my 12 year-old dual axle Puma travel trailer. I store both in my back yard. I found just some spotty surface rust, not nearly as bad as the boat trailer. But figured it would be good to do something preventative rather than just wait and see what happens in the next 10 years. The boat trailer problems sneaked up on me. With much more limited access to the undercarriage of the travel trailer compared to the boat trailer, I decided not to do the brush-on POR15 treatment, but to use the spray on Rustoleum Reform & Seal product. With light sanding of surface rust, it should inhibit future rust and coat the steel frame with a rubber like covering, slowing down any significant deterioration of the frame. Anybody done anything similar from whom I can benefit from your previous experience?"
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #15

I did something similar on our motorhome, at two years old there were several areas with no paint cover at all. Some of this was Ford, some Forest River. The LP lines they had ran were particularly bad. I painted it with rustoleum rusty metal primer and top coated with gloss black, it was what I had available and it was a messy job. Still looks good now.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #16

I had great success with the Rustoleum product. I just painted over that with black semi-gloss. It held up well....until I got rid of it. Not a fan of the fake interest from FR.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Herschel

Did you use any ramps or elevating chocks for the wheels to give you more room under the body with which to maneuver? Or did you just make do with the clearance of the vehicle as it sits? I've got 2 feet under my trailer. Looks like it will be enough, but curious about gaining an extra few inches by elevating the wheels.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame