Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Fuel Gauge

This is the 2nd or 3rd time fuel tank was full and I looked at gauge and it was indicating empty.
History:
Replaced sender unit due to poor accuracy ; new one was not much better but to much work to swap back to original. New OEM part from dealer.
Installed Aux Fuel tank in bed; feeds to main tank via a selector valve.

Not sure if the aux tank is over-filling main tank causing a fault.
Anyone else experience this fault?

Thank Heavens for the Chevy DIC buttons; fuel used.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
2010 Georgetown

The sending unit in my rv has failed twice. I took it out this time, and the internal wires were falling apart. I decided that purring in the same unit a 3rd time was not a good idea.

I switched to a capacitance unit, that has no movin parts, and can be programmed to any resistance range.

I did not want to drop the tank, (which in the long run may have been easier) I ended up cutting an access hole to the top of the tank through the floor under the back bed.

I ended up taking out the existing pump and sending unit that was mounted on a large removable plate.

I bought an extra gasket for a standard 5 hole bolt pattern, and then drilled and tapped holes to match,

I put on a temp plate, while I ordered the new sending unit.

When it arrived I took off the temp plate and dropped in the new unit.

I was able to use the existing terminals and ran jumpers to the new gage.

SO FAR I AM VERY HAPPY with it.

Only time will tell.

At least, I now have a standard bolt hole pattern set up in case I have to replace it again.

When the unit arrived, I
wilsonintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Details on parts/supplier?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #4

I did another test.
I allowed my aux tank to fill the main tank. Shortly after fuel gauge went from full to empty.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #5
2010 Georgetown

The gage was from a company called ATL.
ATL Racing Fuel Cells - Fuel Level Sending Kits
I did some initial testing with a precision 10 turn pot and found that ohms with the tank empty and full. I then talked to ATL and talked to customer service. They customized a sending unit to meet my specific settings. (which may have been a mistake). They also had an option to add an indicator light when the tank was getting low, and gave me the option to set the indicator to any percentage of the tank level I wanted. I think that the “normal” setting was 10%. I considered changing it to 25%, since I will be driving from Alaska to Dallas, and I think that some of the sections can be pretty far between gas stations.

Now to the customization I had done. The first time I filled the RV, and drove it, it stayed on “FULL” for longer than expected. I did not set the trip odometer, so I am not sure how long it was on “FULL”. BUT it was at least into and back from Anchorage, (a distance of 80 miles)

The unit is computerized, so I know that I could have it re-calibrated if I find it to be a problem.

The only real frustration was that theye do not ship to Alaska, (many companies do not). BUT they had a dealer that worked with. I worked out the4 details with them, and they passed the information to the dealer.

IN the end, it worked out.
TST 507 TPMS
wilsonintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel