Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 12:27 AM   #21

Goodyear and Michelin have served me well over the last 40 years. Never tried General.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #22
Ambassador

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET GENERAL TIRES... I can't say that any clearer. I used to sell that brand of tire. We had more problems with those tires being out of round. separating, and with sidewall blow outs. You get what you pay for.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #23
LJH

Tires, TIRES !!!

Michelin, M/S or A/T's always have been the choice for my Ram. The M/S versions will give the better wet road traction and wear mileage in my 14 year RV pulling experience. But have always favored Michelin on all our cars over the past 40years.

HOWEVER: RE: Goodyear marathons on a Travel Trailer, and now 5th wheel has not been fun w/ 4 blow-outs w/ these tires. Most recently 2 blowouts on the 5th wheel 2 months apart w/ tire mileage of 8,000 and 10,000 respectively. Proper inflation, 62 mph while towing driving habit....BOOM goes the tire(s). Same thing w/ a friend of mine w/ recent 2 blowouts of Marathons on rear axle of 5th wheel
I was at mercy of tire dealer in Tyler,Tx with no better choice than "Heartland" by Hankook load rate E. only about 1000 miles on these, so far so good. At least they look like 'real RV tires'
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have to replace the original Uniroyal Larado LT 225/75 R16 E tires on my 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLE on a chevy express van 4500 chassis. The sidewalls are cracked. I was misinformed about the age of the tires when I bought this guy last August. They have a date code of 4411 which makes them much older than what I was told. The above was posted in another thread.

Based on price I have narrowed my tire brands to General or Goodyear.

The shop that can install the Generals is only a few miles from home and also offers the lowest price vs. another brand made in the USA. I found one Goodyear truck tire shop that is about $100 more costly in price and not too far away.

My first question is, does anyone have experience with General Tires and what is that experience?

My second question is the same but for Goodyear Wrangler HT tires.

Thanks,

Bobby
Thanks to all who responded.

I ended up getting B.F. Goodrich tires. I don't know why but I now have a smoother ride. The tread on the previous tires was excellent, the sidewalls were cracked.

I shopped around and eventually got a price of $1,014 for 6 new tires including balancing, mounting, valves and tax. I had my choice of General, Firestone and B.F. Goodrich. due to a snow storm I knew that the tire shop with the best price would be difficult to get to so I called my Ford dealer who matched the price.

They also cleaned my wheels and most imporantly lined up the tire valves on my duels so that I now have access to the inner valves. I couldn't see them before.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires