Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

getting extra road clearance on my Clipper 17FQ

I have a single axle 2015 Coachman Clipper 17'FQ
Is it possible to gain a couple of inches of extra road clearance without compromising the handling? I was thinking of either changing the springs to mount on top of the axle rather than under or is it possible to change the shackles & make longer ones?
Any thoughts would be helpful.
The reason for the additional clearance is that the sewer outlet daggers at sidewalk let downs
rwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilkie View Post
I have a single axle 2015 Coachman Clipper 17'FQ
Is it possible to gain a couple of inches of extra road clearance without compromising the handling? I was thinking of either changing the springs to mount on top of the axle rather than under or is it possible to change the shackles & make longer ones?
Any thoughts would be helpful.
The reason for the additional clearance is that the sewer outlet daggers at sidewalk let downs
Similar prob with my TT. Moving the TT axle from above the springs to below the springs KEPT IN THE SAME ORIENTATION due to designed crowning/arcing of the axle is commonly done, & is commonly referred to incorrectly as "flipping the axle". Height gain of about 5" between the axle diameter and spring pack. Not sure on others, but Dexter sells a kit for this specific to the axle capacity. I bought one via Amazon for my TT awaiting Spring (pun not intended) for installation (about $60). Anyways, search in forums using the flipping axle term for more info. In ordering parts for your axle you will need/want the axle maker, diameter, capacity which should be an a tag on the axle.
All the posts I've read on axle flips had no probs with the increased height affecting towing safety. Many take advantage of the added wheel well clearance to increase wheel size, like 14" to 15", for added tire weight capacity, cooler tires at speed, and a little more height (more than the 1/2" depending on tire overall diameter).
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Here in Idaho axle flip is common for hunters that leave the beaten path I have heard no Ill effects from doing this.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Spring hangers are on option. Did that with my father on his 1969 Bendix Citation Travel Trailer. Cut the old ones off that were 2 inches and welded on 5 inch made out up heavier stock. Remounted shocks for new length of travel. This trailer had shocks from day one as well. I did not drive yet but I certainly learned to stick weld.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks for your help

Thank you for your help with this item, I have contacted a local trailer repair shop & they are able to do the work for a reasonable price.
rwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

More height to fit a jack in?

I’m guessing that anyone doing an “axle flip”
to gain clearance of the trailer’s underbelly, would now need to put more blocking or cribbing under a jack in order to have the jack contact the frame since jacking on axles is generally a no no.

Not applicable for a single axle rig such as the 17FQ but would those plastic ramps for lifting the good tire on a tandem axle trailer be the way to go?
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I’m guessing that anyone doing an “axle flip”
to gain clearance of the trailer’s underbelly, would now need to put more blocking or cribbing under a jack in order to have the jack contact the frame since jacking on axles is generally a no no.

Not applicable for a single axle rig such as the 17FQ but would those plastic ramps for lifting the good tire on a tandem axle trailer be the way to go?
well yes that's correct you do not want to place a jack just anywhere on the axle . but right below where the spring plate is ,is a good spot for a jack to raise the wheel .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #8

“Flipped mine and no more worrying about ripping the rear plumbing out. Fairly easy just upgrade the springs, bushings and wet bolts while doing it. I also added shocks. Bigger wheels and tires coming after the new tires wear out. 14” or maybe even 15”s
Lagman is offline   Reply With Quote