Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I just got back from a two week, 500 mile trip.

As I stopped for gas, I checked the Endurance tires as I usually do...

One rear tire of a tandem pair looked low, and I could hear a slight squeal from it... air leaking out of the metal valve stem.

I went to look at my TPMS and just as I did the alarm went off at 40#...

When I had the tire serviced by replacing the valve stem, the tire man and I surmised that I probably hit something, maybe a pothole that not only bent the valve stem, but also knocked off a wheel weight. The TPMS sensor was not damaged.

I ALSO do not recall hitting anything, but obviously I did... just so happened I found the problem while stopped for gas. I always circle the gas pump islands wide, so I don't think I hit a curb there...

If TPMS alarm went off at 40 psi that sounds low to me. Are you running LR-C tires? Is 40 psi the minimum psi needed to support the scale weight for your tires?
If the metal stem is bent then clearly that is the physical evidentiary proof that you did, in fact, hit something. Kind of shows the unreliable nature of memory and or your feeling of having the hit.
This should be a lesson to everyone that insists they "never hit anything".
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac549 View Post
WOW,
Sitting in the campground. Under 400 miles on my NEW GOODYEAR ENDURANCE tires. I hear a sound like air escaping from a tire. Low and behold my brand new Goodyear tire is going flat. We have been parked here for 5 days. No idea why the side wall gave way. Thank goodness we were not on the road. Very disappointed. Nearest Discount Tire is 200 miles away.. I thought I did my homework????

Can you post or email or PM me pictures of the tire and the damage to the valve? Full Sun, sharp focus and only about 12" of the tire in each picture would be very helpful.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
MR.M

you seem like a guy that has to see to believe. so I tried to take a picture to prove that the tire guy and I now what I am talking about...

I do recall saying that I had sensors (TST sensors ) on the tires that may account for the extra length you have obviously overlooked...

tough to get a picture but here are two I just took...

I have no other explanation of what would bend a metal stem in the middle of a trip... maybe your interstates are smoother than mine I drive on in OH? And yes I was doing about 62-63 MPH in the slow lane... not nearly as smooth as the left fast lane and the tire stem that failed was on the right where the biggest potholes occur.

How about a shot side on. I would like to see a bit more of that black mark on the flanfe part of the wheel. That would / could give us more physical evidence to help identify what and maybe even at what approximate speed you did the hit.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I found this on a truck tire one day. I never did figure out WTF I did to cause it.

Yup, you clearly hit something. This shows a downside of the extended length of the flow-through TPMS. Also, wonder what happened to the metal valve cap. The hit might mash the cap but the damage looks like there was no metal cap installed.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #45

Had valve stem fail on Monday after arriving and setting up loud air rush. Tire was a little low when I made a stop shortly before arriving at our destination.
Have never experienced this or heard of this issue before.

Rubber value stem, Goodyear Endurance 6k miles on tires, valve stem replaced 18 months ago.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEastTexas View Post
Had valve stem fail on Monday after arriving and setting up loud air rush. Tire was a little low when I made a stop shortly before arriving at our destination.
Have never experienced this or heard of this issue before.

Rubber value stem, Goodyear Endurance 6k miles on tires, valve stem replaced 18 months ago.

Standard low cost "snap-in" rubber valves are rated 65 psi max. Did you drive on the tire when it was "a little low"? Damage is cumulative and putting air back in a tire that has been run low does not "fix" the internal structural damage you did by operating when low on air.

Putting the burnt hot dog back in the fridge doesn't "fix" it just as putting the potato salad, that was left out all day and all night, back in the fridge doesn't make it OK to eat.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #47

Thanks.

Most likely ran tire when low (unaware).

Running at 75 psi 5 psi under 80 psi per tire recommendation.

Will replace when I get home with metal valve stems.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #48

saloun tires

buy saloun tires from simpletire....great tires..
Old 06-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

I have 2019 35' TT. Have 1000 miles on those China bomb Castle Rock piece of crap tires. So disappointed when I found out about these tires. The RV dealer said that is what Forest River puts on them. Next week I have an appointment to get 5 new Goodyear Endurance tires on our TT. I will trust these tires over anything not made in the USA. Thanks to this forum and the groups that I am on on FB plus my great Goodyear dealer, Mathews Tire in Appleton Wisconsin, for providing great input and advice on making this decision. Also a great group to be part of on FB is "The RV Bunch" look them up on FB.
Thanks
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #50

Quote:
Thanks.

Most likely ran tire when low (unaware).

Running at 75 psi 5 psi under 80 psi per tire recommendation.

Will replace when I get home with metal valve stems.
80 is the Max PSI. It depends on the weight load. My trailer says 65. I put in 70 for some cushion. If I run them at 80 my cabinets will fall off the walls. There is simply not enough weight in my trailer for max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSI.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	207882  
Twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #51

Thanks great information.

I believe 70 psi based on RV total gross weight should be OK relative to tire load rating.

Was concerned I might be under inflating tires base on the 80 psi max on the tires.

Also had a concern that value stem (rubber) could be an issue as input on a prior thread said the max was 65 psi at best otherwise may expect them to fail.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #52
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks great information.

I believe 70 psi based on RV total gross weight should be OK relative to tire load rating.

Was concerned I might be under inflating tires base on the 80 psi max on the tires.

Also had a concern that value stem (rubber) could be an issue as input on a prior thread said the max was 65 psi at best otherwise may expect them to fail.
You may very well have concern IF you don't know what your rig weighs.

I ALWAYS recommend inflation to the tire manufacturers recommendation IF you have weighed your rig and know your load.

If you are just guessing at your weight, the MAX pressure on the sidewall is always the safest bet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #53

This may not be directly related yo your problem, but I learned there are 'regular' and 'heavy duty' valve stems. On advise of my tire dealer I had all changed to the latter ones.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #54

Thanks,appreciate the input.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #55

5 yrs ago we purchased a Salem TT. Had a bubble on the drivers side the first long trip we took. Then we replaced all 4 tires with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. The tires recommended at the time. We r in Florida right now had 2 blow outs on the way down here and have now replaced all the marathons and replaced with Endurance. So we have replaced the cheap Chinese with two sets of Goodyear’s in 5 years. This is a safety issue and all the RV manufacturers need to step up their game and find some quality tires.
We were going to take our 9 yr old grandson home with us for a couple of weeks but I am afraid that if we have another blow out he won’t be safe so no visit to grandmas this year. Thanks Goodyear.
AlliM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #56

My trailer has a sticker with the recommended PSI. Yours may have the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	207905  
Twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #57

You have not been on the I80 by Bayo Vista CA.. Caltrain doesn't give a dang about that part of the freeway. But then all of San Francisco area is like that. Stay away!
Feba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feba View Post
You have not been on the I80 by Bayo Vista CA.. Caltrain doesn't give a dang about that part of the freeway. But then all of San Francisco area is like that. Stay away!

I try to stay away from the whole state of CA unless passing through on I-5 to I-210 to I-10.

These roads are better than the alternatives in Idaho and Nevada when heading down to Quartzsite.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #59

I have had my Goodyear Endurance Tires now for 3 seasons and have had zero problems. They keep the air better than any tire I’ve previously owned and are wearing great. I have about 7000 miles on them so far. Very pleased thus far.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #60

What psi do you maintain?