Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggler View Post
I disagree.
By your logic the tire inflation/load charts are all incorrect and we must only use either the psi listed on the placard or the max cold psi on the tire.
But you are entitled to your opinion, so please continue to use the method that works for you and allow me to do the same.
Thanks.
Load inflation charts are standardized by tire manufacturers and approved by the TRA. They provide tire load capacity by inflation. They are not recommendations. They assist the vehicle manufacturer in the selection of Original Equipment tires to an application. They also assist tire installers when setting recommended Cold inflation pressures for replacement tires that are larger and of a different designated size than the OE tires.

The correct inflation pressures for OE tires is found on the vehicle manufacturers certification label. It is a minimum standard. The standard for replacement tires is to insure they provide a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provided.

Optional inflation pressures start at the vehicle manufacturers recommendations found on the vehicle certification label. Anything between those recommendations and tire sidewall max are optional.

That information is supported by vehicle certification, FMVSS and tire industry standards.

Whenever there is doubt it is always recommended to ask the vehicle manufacturer, the tire manufacturer or an industry trained tire installer.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #42

Airdale won't do anything but cite the official rules. So if the trailer manufacturer was lazy and slapped the tires max inflation value on the sticker (typical for Forest River, at least on my 2 A-frames), by Airdale's cited rules you are stuck with the max inflation value being the only value allowed.

Reality is that with intelligent use of the load inflation charts, and knowing your trailer's weights - maximum and/or actual - you can safely reduce the pressure some. Of course, you will be in violation of the rules cited by Airdale.

In my case, sticker calls for 65PSI on LR D ST tires. With a 3347lb max gross weight limit on the trailer, that is overkill pressure. By the Goodyear chart, 50PSI is sufficient for my trailer at max gross without even considering tongue weight or actual weight, 55PSI gives a 10% cushion, and 60 PSI gives 20% cushion.

Regulations can never take the place of sound judgement. Being made by man, regulations are imperfect and cannot for every situation - in this case Forest River's not bothering to do any calculations on their sticker tire pressures.

However, rules and regulations being what they are, there will always be those who will try to get you in trouble for violating them. When you violate a regulation, you are now responsible for your decision.

just the real world we live in
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Airdale won't do anything but cite the official rules. So if the trailer manufacturer was lazy and slapped the tires max inflation value on the sticker (typical for Forest River, at least on my 2 A-frames), by Airdale's cited rules you are stuck with the max inflation value being the only value allowed.

Reality is that with intelligent use of the load inflation charts, and knowing your trailer's weights - maximum and/or actual - you can safely reduce the pressure some. Of course, you will be in violation of the rules cited by Airdale.

In my case, sticker calls for 65PSI on LR D ST tires. With a 3347lb max gross weight limit on the trailer, that is overkill pressure. By the Goodyear chart, 50PSI is sufficient for my trailer at max gross without even considering tongue weight or actual weight, 55PSI gives a 10% cushion, and 60 PSI gives 20% cushion.

Regulations can never take the place of sound judgement. Being made by man, regulations are imperfect and cannot for every situation - in this case Forest River's not bothering to do any calculations on their sticker tire pressures.

However, rules and regulations being what they are, there will always be those who will try to get you in trouble for violating them. When you violate a regulation, you are now responsible for your decision.

just the real world we live in
Fred W
You are misinterpreting the tire information I provide. I’m just reporting the way it’s supposed to be done from the safety regulations/standards written to insure those MKINIMUIM standards.

When one traces tire inflation back to its origin (the vehicle manufacturer), it reveals they were directed to set a recommended cold tire inflation pressures for the Original Equipment tires that is appropriate for that vehicle. Then they MUST certify that MINIMUM value.

All tire fitments to automotive vehicles set from the FMVSS (standards) include a percentage of load capacity reserves. Those load capacity reserves are provide by a combination of axle and tire reserves. When a consumer decides to cut into those reserves by lowering their vehicle’s inflation pressures below vehicle manufacturer recommendations, they are subtracting from established load capacity reserves which were provided from regulations that are by their own description, MINIMUM.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #44

Still the same old debates on inflation psi .
Plenty of by the book have to do it as stated in the regulations are be busted into oblivion .

My unit came with LRD just enough for my fully loaded weight . Up grade to LREs plenty of cushion now if inflated to 80PSI not the LRD 65 psi . have been running max cold inflation 80 psi for 6 yrs . No odd tire wear , no damage , no bad results , no blow outs , no problems

The regulation police have been looking for me , Did something bad by not changing sticker on TH to say psi on what the manufacture of the TH says as their max cold is now 15 psi greater . i keep dodging them by not staying in one place to long , Taking back roads to avoid the dreaded road blocks looking for people that have increase the load range of their tires and are using a tire and inflation that exceeds the sticker . :roflb lack:
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Still the same old debates on inflation psi .
Plenty of by the book have to do it as stated in the regulations are be busted into oblivion .

My unit came with LRD just enough for my fully loaded weight . Up grade to LREs plenty of cushion now if inflated to 80PSI not the LRD 65 psi . have been running max cold inflation 80 psi for 6 yrs . No odd tire wear , no damage , no bad results , no blow outs , no problems

The regulation police have been looking for me , Did something bad by not changing sticker on TH to say psi on what the manufacture of the TH says as their max cold is now 15 psi greater . i keep dodging them by not staying in one place to long , Taking back roads to avoid the dreaded road blocks looking for people that have increase the load range of their tires and are using a tire and inflation that exceeds the sticker . :roflb lack:
When a load range is added to a designated tire size, all it does is give the ability to carry more weight via the availability of more inflation pressure.

The LRD & LRE tires of the same designated size provide identical load capacities at 65 PSI. The vehicle certification label is still valid.

The option to use inflation pressures above what has been recommended has always been an option, all the way to tire sidewall max.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
You are misinterpreting the tire information I provide. I’m just reporting the way it’s supposed to be done from the safety regulations/standards written to insure those MKINIMUIM standards.

When one traces tire inflation back to its origin (the vehicle manufacturer), it reveals they were directed to set a recommended cold tire inflation pressures for the Original Equipment tires that is appropriate for that vehicle. Then they MUST certify that MINIMUM value.

All tire fitments to automotive vehicles set from the FMVSS (standards) include a percentage of load capacity reserves. Those load capacity reserves are provide by a combination of axle and tire reserves. When a consumer decides to cut into those reserves by lowering their vehicle’s inflation pressures below vehicle manufacturer recommendations, they are subtracting from established load capacity reserves which were provided from regulations that are by their own description, MINIMUM.
You have cited the rules many times. But that does not stop Forest River from being lazy and just slapping a sticker on the camper that says the min pressure is the max tire pressure - without doing any calculations whatsoever. Meets the requirements of the rules, makes it easy for dealers and end users - 65PSI period. But it's not the optimum pressure for a soft ride for the trailer while ensuring sufficient load capacity.

It's happening on the pop-ups and A-frames - they all have the sticker with tire min pressure same as the tire max pressure stamped on the tires. Doesn't how much or how little the camper weighs or could weigh. A 2500lb GVW pop-up or A-frame with the same LRD tires will have the same 65PSI sticker as a 3500lb GVW pop-up or A-frame. The only time FR bothers to change tire sizes on the pop-ups or A-frames is when the box/frame becomes long enough that they need taller tires to prevent ground strikes or they want to sell it as an "off road" model.

Real world vs the rules. Man is not perfect, therefore his rules can never be perfect, either.

Fred W
Old 09-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
You have cited the rules many times. But that does not stop Forest River from being lazy and just slapping a sticker on the camper that says the min pressure is the max tire pressure - without doing any calculations whatsoever. Meets the requirements of the rules, makes it easy for dealers and end users - 65PSI period. But it's not the optimum pressure for a soft ride for the trailer while ensuring sufficient load capacity.

It's happening on the pop-ups and A-frames - they all have the sticker with tire min pressure same as the tire max pressure stamped on the tires. Doesn't how much or how little the camper weighs or could weigh. A 2500lb GVW pop-up or A-frame with the same LRD tires will have the same 65PSI sticker as a 3500lb GVW pop-up or A-frame. The only time FR bothers to change tire sizes on the pop-ups or A-frames is when the box/frame becomes long enough that they need taller tires to prevent ground strikes or they want to sell it as an "off road" model.

Real world vs the rules. Man is not perfect, therefore his rules can never be perfect, either.

Fred W
I'm not going to get into all of that.

The sticker you speak of is probably the Federal certification label...a sworn statement by the vehicle manufacturer that all information is correct and conforms to all minimum federal safety stands in effect on that date.

Manufacturers of ST tires recommend full sidewall pressures for all OE tires.

Because the regulations do not require load capacity reserves for ST tires, they may only have enough load capacity for the certified GAWRs; thus maximum cold inflation pressures are standard, even now, with the RVIA recommendation in place.

This is a legal fitment according to FMVSS. The vehicle manufacturer derated 7000# axles and set their vehicle certified GAWR to 6840#. That allowed them to use GY Marathon trailer tires with a maximum load capacity 3420# at 80 PSI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3366.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	239264
Old 09-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #48

Thank you for making my point. In small trailers designed to meet 3500lb tow ratings, the axle is almost always a 3500lb axle. Which FR realizes is not compatible with LR C tires in the smaller diameters, so LR D tires are used. 13" tires where the trailer is short, 14" where the trailer is longer and more ground clearance is needed. 14" LR D ST tires with 2040lb capacity are beyond what is needed on a 3374lb GVW trailer (which is at the heavy end of A-frames). But we still have the label requiring 65PSI, which produces an unnecessarily harsh ride.

What I and others have realized is that a gentler ride can be accomplished safely by using the ST load inflation tables. Scaled weight on tires is 2840lbs. In my particular case, decreasing to 55psi gives 3720lb tire capacity, which is a big reserve.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21

Fred W
Old 09-17-2020, 10:55 PM   #49

Quote:
When a load range is added to a designated tire size, all it does is give the ability to carry more weight via the availability of more inflation pressure.

The LRD & LRE tires of the same designated size provide identical load capacities at 65 PSI. The vehicle certification label is still valid.

The option to use inflation pressures above what has been recommended has always been an option, all the way to tire sidewall max.
not debating that the same 65psi in a LRE OR LRD will carry the same weight.
But doing so will give you a tire with no more of a safety margin then with the stock LRD
. Going to full load rating will give you that margin and unless you experience center tire wear I ask Why Not use max ?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:14 AM   #50

Quote:
not debating that the same 65psi in a LRE OR LRD will carry the same weight.
But doing so will give you a tire with no more of a safety margin then with the stock LRD
. Going to full load rating will give you that margin and unless you experience center tire wear I ask Why Not use max ?
You're correct.

However, I was just providing information. Some consumers think they are getting a different sized tire when they add a load range to a designated size; they are not. They are getting an identically sized tire with some internal engineering that will allow the higher load range to accept higher PSI settings to achieve more load capacity from the tire.

Consumers are upgrading from LRE to LRG tires to take advantage of all steel casings. Most often there is no reason to make those LRG tires into bricks. Inflation them to a PSI that will allow 20% in load capacity reserves above certified GAWRs would be more prudent.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #51

Quote:
You're correct.

However, I was just providing information. Some consumers think they are getting a different sized tire when they add a load range to a designated size; they are not. They are getting an identically sized tire with some internal engineering that will allow the higher load range to accept higher PSI settings to achieve more load capacity from the tire.

Consumers are upgrading from LRE to LRG tires to take advantage of all steel casings. Most often there is no reason to make those LRG tires into bricks. Inflation them to a PSI that will allow 20% in load capacity reserves above certified GAWRs would be more prudent.

But we are not talking about going from and E all the way to G . 2 load sizes larger . talking about LRD to LRE which is only 15 psi more not 30 and most with the LRD are at there max load for that tire to begin with . If i had the margin which was not built into my unit i would still be running d's
Old 09-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #52

The hypothetical information I'm provided can be applied to a jump up in load capacity in any designated size. What you do with that added load capacity is increase the PSI to increase load capacity. The option from recommended to sidewall max is always there.

When using "plus sized" tires, it's the tire installers responsibility to set new recommended cold inflation pressures for the replacements. Once that new cold inflation pressure is set a consumer can increase the PSI to gain the desired load capacity reserves. The load capacity the OE tires provided is the installers guide.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #53

"The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round", just like this (or any) tire thread....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #54

Quote:
The hypothetical information I'm provided can be applied to a jump up in load capacity in any designated size. What you do with that added load capacity is increase the PSI to increase load capacity. The option from recommended to sidewall max is always there.

When using "plus sized" tires, it's the tire installers responsibility to set new recommended cold inflation pressures for the replacements. Once that new cold inflation pressure is set a consumer can increase the PSI to gain the desired load capacity reserves. The load capacity the OE tires provided is the installers guide.

there are no new cold inflation pressures since even the up sized tire carries the same weight as the old tire it is the same psi cold on a lrd as a lre so 65 psi on a lrd gets you X and the same 65 in a LRE gets you the same X
Old 09-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #55

Quote:
there are no new cold inflation pressures since even the up sized tire carries the same weight as the old tire it is the same psi cold on a lrd as a lre so 65 psi on a lrd gets you X and the same 65 in a LRE gets you the same X
The ST235/80R16 is a designated size. It has 5 load ranges from D to G, all conform to the same load inflation chart. If a ST235/85R16 was used as a replacement for the ST235/80R16 it is known as a "Plus Sized" tire and it does not conform to the same load inflation chat. Therefore, a new recommended cold inflation pressure is set - using the load inflation chart for the plus sized tire - to the load capacity the OE tires provided. That's an industry wide standard.

Tags
tire