Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Goodyear Marathon vs Carlisle Radial Trail RH

The tire thread sticky was 3 years old and I did a search too, thought I'd just ask.
These are my local choices for replacing my tires after my blowout last week.

225/75R15

Goodyear Marathon load range D

Carlisle Radial Trail RH load range D

The goodyears are $7 more per tire but that doesn't matter to me, I just want to put the best tire on.

Thanks.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
The tire thread sticky was 3 years old and I did a search too, thought I'd just ask.
These are my local choices for replacing my tires after my blowout last week.

225/75R15

Goodyear Marathon load range D

Carlisle Radial Trail RH load range D

The goodyears are $7 more per tire but that doesn't matter to me, I just want to put the best tire on.

Thanks.
Do you have pictures of the failed tire? It might help to know the real cause of the failure and sometimes with good enough pictures I can help discover the reason.

My email is on my blog below lower picture on right.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

There's nothing left of the tire, I drove on it for at least half a mile after it blew.

I figured the cause of failure was that the tires were original equipment on a 2012 model trailer, I should have replaced them.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

This is what I'm talking about

Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Im curious too, my local tire shop has them both in stock and I keep kicking around the idea of switching.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about

OK that helps. What you had is not a blowout but a Tread Separation. If the dealer gave you a replacement tire that is the correct action.
I do have to wonder if the dealer is following the regulations and is reporting the failure to NHTSA.
RV owners do not seem to realize that one reason for the poor quality of tires that come on many RVs is IMO due to the failure of anyone to report a majority of tire failures to NHTSA.
The only real requirement is to have the vehicle VIN and the tire DOT serial (complete with date).
If you can capture a few pictures that is good for IF NHTSA needs more information they might ask for pictures so in the original complaint you should tell them you have pictures.

King, in your case you could also say
"I showed a picture of the failure to a tire engineer and he feels the failure is a Tread Separation"

Here is web site you use to file complaint
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Since I find people on the net hating both the Carlisle and the Goodyear, and also swearing by both, I guess I'll go with the Carlisle if they have 4 with recent dates on them.

I can't put this off forever, I have to get new tires on so I can go and take the trailer in for an estimate. I don't trust these tires on the trailer anymore.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Since I find people on the net hating both the Carlisle and the Goodyear, and also swearing by both, I guess I'll go with the Carlisle if they have 4 with recent dates on them.

I can't put this off forever, I have to get new tires on so I can go and take the trailer in for an estimate. I don't trust these tires on the trailer anymore.
If it helps, I was going to go with the Carlisles and I think I would go with them again.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
Toadman

REF: RV Tires

Although I have not personally used them I would suggest you check out the Sailun S637 tires. I believe you can get them thru Sams Club, but am not sure about that anymore. We have had similar experiences with tires including Carlisle and Goodyear. Of the many reviews I researched on the Sailun tire, they appear to get high reviews from users. And, the price is much less than Goodyear, Michelin and other tires. Worth looking into anyway.....
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Toadman

REF: RV Tires

Here is a link for the Sailun tires from Simple Tire:

https://simpletire.com/sailun-st235-...9BcaAkvg8P8HAQ
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

Yep, that ones dead!
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #12

Trailer Tires

I don't know what this is worth, but when I had to replace a blow-out a couple of years ago,; I was told by my tire dealer ( who I've worked with for years) that pretty much all trailer tires for all brands are manufactured by one factory in China. Just throwing it out there!
Burnking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Just changed out 2012 tires to Carlisle this spring, only have 2 trips on them so far, but they have stronger sidewalls than the other original tires that came with the trailer.

I've only run the Carlisle for about 1000 KM, but they seem to be good. No heat buildup when I've stopped to check them.

Damn tire shop asked me if I wanted them balanced when installed? What kind of a question is that? EVERY tire installed should be balanced in my opinion....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Just changed out 2012 tires to Carlisle this spring, only have 2 trips on them so far, but they have stronger sidewalls than the other original tires that came with the trailer.

I've only run the Carlisle for about 1000 KM, but they seem to be good. No heat buildup when I've stopped to check them.

Damn tire shop asked me if I wanted them balanced when installed? What kind of a question is that? EVERY tire installed should be balanced in my opinion....

J.
That is a very loaded question. I ask the camper places with 3 or 4 stating its just a trailer, not needed. 4 of 4 tire stores all say they should be balanced so many of the answers are answered for a profit reason. Many of the camper dealers say they can and will mount your tires but do not have the ability to balance them (since it is bot needed). My feeling is anything of value a tire is placed under can always benefit from not getting vibrated to death going down the road. Not to mention it prevents tire cupping.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

On smaller trailers say in the 6-8 K weight bracket "Mara Bombs" seem to be adequate. On 12K plus trailers they are a failure waiting to happen. I had a set on my last 12K+ SOB. They developed bumps, knots, and spaces between tread patterns. They would swell up to look similar to a balloon tire on an old Model T after about 50 miles of towing each time we went out then settle back down after reaching our destinations. I had friends with similar stories ... one couple would not take delivery of their new unit until the dealer went with something else. I couldn't get anything out of Goodyear except straight across replacements, so I sold the "Mara Bombs" to a farmer for his hay wagon and went with Michelin LT's.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

Maxxis tires

Based on my experience and from the reviews of others, I think the best ST tires are the Maxxis M8008's. Plus, they are made in Thailand, not China!
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

Check it out as I'm not 100% sure, but I believe both the Goodyear and the Carlisle are made by the same folks in the same plant. Nothing wrong with a tire just because it was made in China or Korea, but you do get what you pay for. Personally, I think all trailer tires are pretty well ticking time bombs due to loads, heat buildup, etc. Just my opinion....

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #18

When reading tire threads on the General RV forums, I see a lot of people upgrading from no name tires to Goodyear or Maxxis.

When reading the airstream forum, they all upgrade from Goodyear to a Michelin LT tire.

It seems the Goodyear Marathon is the stock tire from Airstream and is well known for loosing treads

My trailer came with load range C trail express and I am going to load range D Maxxis. Frustrating to have to worry/research so much about trailer tires

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_link View Post
When reading tire threads on the General RV forums, I see a lot of people upgrading from no name tires to Goodyear or Maxxis.

When reading the airstream forum, they all upgrade from Goodyear to a Michelin LT tire.

It seems the Goodyear Marathon is the stock tire from Airstream and is well known for loosing treads

My trailer came with load range C trail express and I am going to load range D Maxxis. Frustrating to have to worry/research so much about trailer tires

Linc
What trailer do you have? How long have you had the tires and about how many tow miles? Just curious for comparison.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #20

Quote:

I had 225 15 load range E Carlisle's on our old trailer for our last two years with it and had no prob. Our trailer originally had 205 lr C cheapies on it and we went through those things like water . The 225s fit and America's Tire had the Es in Carlisle . So I ran em at 75 lbs cold and they seemed to be, Invincible .
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote