Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #1

Grease for Lippert Axle

Hi All,

I'd like to grease my axle bearings (via zerk, not a repack) on our 2018 Stealth 2816 Toyhauler. Axles are Lippert 6000#. I'd like to match whatever red grease came originally if anyone knows what was used.

In searching Amazon for candidates, most greases don't meet the temperature requirement of Lippert, which calls for a dropping point of 230°C (446°F) Minimum.

One grease that does meet this is Lucas Red N Tacky.

Any recommendations for grease which will mix with the OE grease?

Thanks
DirtDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #2

Have you checked Mobil 1 grease specs. It's red in color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDevil View Post
Hi All,

I'd like to grease my axle bearings (via zerk, not a repack) on our 2018 Stealth 2816 Toyhauler. Axles are Lippert 6000#. I'd like to match whatever red grease came originally if anyone knows what was used.

In searching Amazon for candidates, most greases don't meet the temperature requirement of Lippert, which calls for a dropping point of 230°C (446°F) Minimum.

Thanks

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #3

Type "axle grease" in the search bar, you will find several threads that might be of interest. There seems to be a diversity of opinion on the Lucas Red/Tacky
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Have you checked Mobil 1 grease specs. It's red in color.
Thanks, yes, I did check Mobil1, it was one that fell short of the 446F min dropping point as it specs out at 350F.

I had also read that some synthetic greases don't play well with non-synthetic, and cause the non-syn to liquefy.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Type "axle grease" in the search bar, you will find several threads that might be of interest. There seems to be a diversity of opinion on the Lucas Red/Tacky
Thanks, I had started with searching, and ended up going in circles. I'm sure I didn't find all relevant threads, so I'll revisit depending on what else folks have to say here.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:26 AM   #6

It has a drop point of 550. Not sure where you saw 350. It's high drop point is why i use it.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...thetic-grease/
Quote:
Thanks, yes, I did check Mobil1, it was one that fell short of the 446F min dropping point as it specs out at 350F.

I had also read that some synthetic greases don't play well with non-synthetic, and cause the non-syn to liquefy.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #7

I would just change all the grease out anyway when changing grease.

Hand pack. Don't use the Laz-Lube
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 AM   #8

Of your brains have not been apart since new you really should pull them apart and inspect things.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
It has a drop point of 550. Not sure where you saw 350. It's high drop point is why i use it.
Well heck, Amazon strikes again. The 350 was in the product info:

Product description
Automotive Grease, NLGI Grade 2, Minimum Dropping Point 350 Degrees Fahrenheit, Container Size 12 Ounces Cartridge, Product Head Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, Color Red

And you are right, a full repack is coming, but with less than 400 miles on the RV, I felt it just needs a top-off at this point.

Thanks for the correct info.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #10
Brake is on left

You can mix synthetic and conventional greases without issue. Grease is nothing but oil emulsified in a thickener and carrier. The thickener is what has issues mixing. Any lithium complex is compatible with another lithium complex. If Lippert specs a lithium complex then that is what you need.
Lucas Red has never let me down in 100’s of thousands of miles on the road and 10’s of thousands of race miles.
However..... with 3000 miles on the TH and the factory grease, I had a bearing show signs of spalling.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Site Team

My guess is that the OEM grease is Lucas Red & Tacky or something real close. If I were just going to inject some grease into what's already there, that's what I would use.

Having said that, if they've never been pulled before I would strongly suggest doing that the first time and then you can use the E-Z-Lube feature after that. That way you'll know what shape all the components are in and if the seals and/or brakes have been compromised.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #12

Jack it up and spin the wheel as you push grease in, this should help from getting grease on your breaks
Mobil 1, red n tacky will work
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks

If you have never pulled your hubs and hand repack your bearing (you will need new seals if you do this), you may think about doing it. The Lucas Red N Tacky is fine to use 'with' the original grease. NOTE: Just know that when Travel Trailers leave the factory, the hub grease channels Are Not filled and the only 'true' grease that is on the bearings is what is on the bearings when installed. Now, to correctly grease each grease zerk, you must have the tire off the ground and slowly turn the tire as you slowly pump in the grease. If the tire is on the ground and you forcefully pump in the zerk a lot of grease there is a high chance to 'blow out' the inner grease seal on the hub. Know this also, that if this is the first time to grease your hubs that EACH hub channel/cavity may take about one half of each tube of Lucas Red N Tacky before grease will start to come out at the outer bearing. Soooo. If you think that 3 or 4 pumps of the grease gun, just know that you are only 'greasing' the inner bearing and no new grease is getting to the outer bearing. To know that you have new Red grease to the outer bearing is to keep slowly pumping and slowly turning the tire (off the ground) until only red grease is coming out from around the outer bearing and all of the old grease is pushed out. Clean up all old grease that has came out. Lower tire and go to next. Have three tubes of Red grease on hand.

When done greasing your camper, grease your truck while you have your 'gun' out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #14

I have Dexter Axles and use Shell Rotella HD grease....It's an approved grease by Dexter avaliable at Tractor Supply $3.99 per 14.1 oz tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	232929  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Of your brains have not been apart since new you really should pull them apart and inspect things.
I believe you meant "brakes" not "brains".

However I do believe that some people should have their brains taken apart and inspected too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I use Motomaster Wheel Bearing grease from Canadian Tire. I have never repacked by hand, just used Zerks. I do know how and have done it on my 1983 Corsair I owned. No Need to with modern Zerks and proper hand pressure on a grease gun.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #17

When I bought my trailer, 1st thing I did was change out all the bearings and races to USA made Timken.
Quote:
Well heck, Amazon strikes again. The 350 was in the product info:

Product description
Automotive Grease, NLGI Grade 2, Minimum Dropping Point 350 Degrees Fahrenheit, Container Size 12 Ounces Cartridge, Product Head Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, Color Red

And you are right, a full repack is coming, but with less than 400 miles on the RV, I felt it just needs a top-off at this point.

Thanks for the correct info.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...thetic-grease/
Bout to say...

I am not a huge Mobil 1 fan, but if don't meet our trailer bearing specs... we are OUT OF LUCK!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #19

Not sure what you are trying to say. It exceeds the axle specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Bout to say...

I am not a huge Mobil 1 fan, but if don't meet our trailer bearing specs... we are OUT OF LUCK!!
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #20

Just FWIW, I use Lucas Red n Tacky. 30k miles on the trailer now without issues.

If you do the E-Z-Lube method. Jack up the wheel. Use a MANUAL grease gun. Pump VERY slowly. Spin the wheel while pumping in grease.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle