Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Can't say i've ever heard that filling the entire cavity causes over heating . if the cavity stays empty it won't take long for the grease in the bearing to be spun out and bearing failure will be close behind . using the zerks between full packing of bearings is fine but you need to jack up the wheel and spin it while putting in grease .
I agree on no harm done by filling the cavity.

But leaving the hub empty is also not harmful. The only grease that is doing any lubricating is the grease that directly contacts the rollers in the bearing. A film of grease on the races, the bearing cage, and the rollers are all the lubrication that is required. That is why the goal of hand or machine packing is to get grease between the rollers and the cage where it will actually do some good.

The outer race prevents the grease from being "slung" out.

Lube which ever way floats your boat. I prefer hand packing and just a film on the hub to prevent corrosion - but that's me.

Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #102

Smile

Here is a link on how to lubricate Dexter E-Z Lube Axels.
I usually do not try to out think the engineers.
They probably know their product better than we do.

Kevin Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Fischer View Post
Here is a link on how to lubricate Dexter E-Z Lube Axels.
I usually do not try to out think the engineers.
They probably know their product better than we do.

LOL, I agree, but you'll have a tough time convincing a few of the "super experts" around here of that. They were just born knowing better. Just ask 'em.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
LOL, I agree, but you'll have a tough time convincing a few of the "super experts" around here of that. They were just born knowing better. Just ask 'em.

LOL...you mean the "expert" that doesn't rotate his wheel while pumping grease in like the above video describes? If you are going to use the flawed EZ-Lube system, you might at least do it like the instructions say.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #105

Kevin, this guy in the post just above this one is one of the Super Experts I was telling you of...well, really the ONLY one I've found here so far.

I even gave him a Gold Star for being such a good camper... he is very knowledgeable and reads all of his owners manuals. And, he sometimes even exceeds what the owners manual says to do. He is awesome. Just ask him, he'll tell ya.

Apparently he has a real talent for winning friends and influencing people from what I read. I have my doubts that he read the Carnegie book though.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Kevin, this guy in the post just above this one is one of the Super Experts I was telling you of...well, really the ONLY one I've found here so far.
LOL...you could be an expert too if you actually read your manual or even follow the video that Kevin posted! Who needs manuals/videos that the engineers that designed the system write though!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
LOL...you could be an expert too if you actually read your manual or even follow the video that Kevin posted! Who needs manuals/videos that the engineers that designed the system write though!

Just noticed that you're from Kalifornia... Proposition 65, Don't eat the Silica Gel, all that stuff. It all makes sense now. I know it's not nice to laugh at you, but... I can't help it. I'm laughing at you.

How ironic, that last sentence in your sig...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #108

Quote:
How ironic, that last sentence in your sig...
Yep....was thinking the same thing days ago.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #109

Quote:
Yep....was thinking the same thing days ago.

Well, if you ever find yours, let us know. I understand that it is exceptionally rare in Kalifornia. I do feel for you.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #110

Quote:
Well, if you ever find yours, let us know. I understand that it is exceptionally rare in Kalifornia. I do feel for you.
Well we can agree that it is rare in Kalifornia!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Well we can agree that it is rare in Kalifornia!

LOL!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 09-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #112

Use LockNLube Coupler

Do yourself a favor and buy the "LockNLube" grease gun coupler on Amazon!
HunsbergerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #113

Also if you force too much grease in a seal can get blown out and it can get into your brakes. Makes for a pucker moment, I know I did it .
gkochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #114

Put me in the camp that likes the EZ lube. One caveat is to make sure the seals are original Dexter with a double lip. I had an SOB that I purchased new and exclusively used the EZ lube for 5 seasons - no issues. This season I bought a used same SOB but a little larger and 2 years newer. I wanted to make sure I was starting out with a known baseline so I disassembled and hand packed. When I went to the local chain auto parts store to get new seals they tried to sell me single lip seals. The cross reference was right there in their book and the outer diameter and spindle diameter were the same as the originals but I could tell right away that the seal was not the same. I ordered original Dexter seals and am confidant that I can use the EZ lube for several seasons. The point is that I suspect that some of the issues with EZ Lube contaminating the brakes may be due to using single lip seals during a hand pack then later using EZ Lube which blows by the inferior seal. I agree that a complete disassembly is required to inspect bearings and brakes but the way we use our trailer, that interval is pretty long. We travel mostly within about 200 miles of home and are weekend warriors that are lucky to get 6 weekends a summer. Doing the math we are probably at 2400 miles max per season. I am completely comfortable at 5 or 6 seasons between complete disassembly. I will add that I am as anal as anyone about maintenance.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #115
Newly Retired

I agree with WI, about the quality and design of different seals. However on my 2016 that was greased in 2016, it had the original seals when it lubed the breaks. I admit that I did not know about the trick where you rotate the hub while pumping gease in. Maybe that would have made a difference and maybe not.
Would not be the first time that an engineer was wrong about something. Everything expands with heat. Pump grease in at 50 degrees and tell me that at 100 degrees it will all fit in the same place.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #116
Senior Senior Member

To further add to the hijack...
It is a fact that the grease will expand as the temperature increases. The rate of expansion is slow. Any surplus created will not seep past a double lip seal in good condition but will follow the path of least resistance which is out through the hub adjacent to the zerk fitting just as when you are pumping the grease in.
Anyhow that's the way I understand it.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #117

If you use the EZ-Lube and fill the hubs with grease, you should wipe the excess grease around the nut and make sure the bearing cap is empty. I think that will allow for expansion. I don’t use the EZ-Lube with the bearing cap on.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I agree on no harm done by filling the cavity.

But leaving the hub empty is also not harmful. The only grease that is doing any lubricating is the grease that directly contacts the rollers in the bearing. A film of grease on the races, the bearing cage, and the rollers are all the lubrication that is required. That is why the goal of hand or machine packing is to get grease between the rollers and the cage where it will actually do some good.

The outer race prevents the grease from being "slung" out.

Lube which ever way floats your boat. I prefer hand packing and just a film on the hub to prevent corrosion - but that's me.

Fred W
If grease doesn't get slung out then why the need to repack ? after all if it stays where you put it then you should be able to go years . the outer bearing has an a race but then it heald in by washer and nut you can see the roller bearings are open
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #119

My experience greasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
OK so I am trying to use a grease gun, Performance tools W54204, on my Dexter EZ lube axle. It doesn't seem to click on to the zerk. When I pump the grease it appears to not enter the axle, but instead go around the zerk. What am I doing wrong?

I just greased my Axles. I have a pnuematic grease gun. First hub would not take grease. Second hub took grease. Third hub would not take grease. The Zerk fittings were bad. Spent $5 at Autozone for 12 Zerk fittings. I replaced the 4 Zerk just in case. 4 Axles will take almost 2+ grease cartridges. You will need I believe 440 degree Grease.
vicmic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic83 View Post
I just greased my Axles. I have a pnuematic grease gun. First hub would not take grease. Second hub took grease. Third hub would not take grease. The Zerk fittings were bad. Spent $5 at Autozone for 12 Zerk fittings. I replaced the 4 Zerk just in case. 4 Axles will take almost 2+ grease cartridges. You will need I believe 440 degree Grease.
Putting that much grease in an axle spindle is what leads to leaking seals and grease contaminated brake shoes and will most certainly ruin brakes. One of the leading causes of brake problems.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle