Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #21

Thanks will do. thanks again. This forum is great, ask for help you get it. Not a bunch of BS just plain and simple courteous help. Been on some forums where they tell you you should do this or that and make you feel stupid.

Not this forum, people here help and in some ways walk you through each problem until it is solved.

I know this can't happen all the time, but it's good to know you have others to ask and get their opinion and help within a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again.
kgstakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
True to a point. Electric brakes are actuated by a relatively small, square, cam that has limited ability to move the shoes any distance. Unlike "juice brakes" (hydraulic for the more modern minded) you can't "pump them up".

It's always advised to adjust till touching then back off slightly to avoid the risk of the shoes not touching the drum when braking. If no braking action, no movement in adjusting mechanism.

Of course if one is replacing brake shoes on self adjusting drum brakes they can save a lot of trouble by using the proper brake shoe setting gauge.

Most don't (unless working in a shop where the proper methods are enforced) because the tool runs from $60-$80. One side measures the ID of the drum and with that measurement locked in the other side of the tool allows the person to pre-adjust the shoes to the proper "diameter".
I use a C-clamp as my adjusting gauge. Just turn it until the clamp just touches the shoes then i lay it on the drum and eye ball it. It gets me pretty close!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
I have a GeoPro 19fbs 2020.

Background for question. Went on a trip and noticed that the passenger side hub was getting hot (hotter than driver side). Bought grease and seemed to help.

Now 12/31/2020 (today) I pulled the hub (passenger side) cleaned all old grease (that I put in on trip) regreased. In the process I was inspecting brakes and I adusted the brakes (actually messed with them would be a better way of putting it).

Put everything back together, and no brakes (passenger side). Lots of brakes on driver side (never messed with that side at all). Have adjusted, still nothing, adjusted again, again, again, decided the heck with it and decided I will work on them tomorrow.

Pull it down the road (was at my dad's shop) and only went a mile or so.

PROBLEM: Brakes are smoking - passinger side. But when I apply trailer control for brakes, only driver side locks up. Passenger side nothing but it's smoking so either grease seal blew? or trace grease on drum? or ???

Got home and I think I loosened the brakes up on passenger side but not sure.

Another question: Clockwise to tighten brakes ?? Counter clockwise to loosen??

Any help would be appreciated. If nothing else I will take it to a brake shop and have them work on it. Hate to, this should be something owner can do.

Thank you for your time and help.

I always adjust with wheels jacked up and even with self adjusters I tighten till wheel stops then back off 3 clicks more after wheel starts to spin for self adjusters. For manual adjusters back off until wheel starts to turn fairly easy but has a tiny bit of drag. Not enough to stop The wheel quickly.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #24

Finding a gravel road won't be hard, I live on a gravel road LOL. Will do and thanks everyone, appreciate it.
kgstakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, led