Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The manual slider bypasses the controller and applies maximum voltage unaffected by the gain setting.
I don't agree Herk. The manual slider delivers the gain setting you've dailed into the unit...how do you calibrate the gain you require if it bypasses it. Both the prodigy P3 and the factory BC in the Ford work this way. Set the gain, fully engage the manual slider a 20 - 25 mph, adjust the gain up or down to have threshold braking (just shy of lock-up).

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

I will need to dig out the manual for the truck. I don't remember reading the manual that way. I remember the procedure for setting the gain and I don't ever remember using the override to do so. Been wrong before and this could be no different.

BRB.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I don't agree Herk. The manual slider delivers the gain setting you've dailed into the unit...how do you calibrate the gain you require if it bypasses it. Both the prodigy P3 and the factory BC in the Ford work this way. Set the gain, fully engage the manual slider a 20 - 25 mph, adjust the gain up or down to have threshold braking (just shy of lock-up).

Dave
My 6 yr old Teshonka works exactly like Herk describes. I set the gain on the little side wheel which works in conjuction with the brake pedal, but if I use the manual slide, I can slide it to max and actually slide the trailer tires at low speeds.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Yikes, You guys were right on.
I have been thinking it wrong for a long time.
Once again I have learned something new.
The levers apply full system power ONLY if the gain is set to MAX.
Otherwise they deliver the power represented by the gain set in the window.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yikes, You guys were right on.
I have been thinking it wrong for a long time.
Once again I have learned something new.
The levers apply full system power ONLY if the gain is set to MAX.
Otherwise they deliver the power represented by the gain set in the window.
Not on my old Teshonka Herk. I can turn the gain down to nothing (no numbers on this antique) and still lock the brakes with the manual slide.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the link to the Prodigy P3 manual...BC brake setting procedure is on pge 5.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...ion/N90195.pdf

I've set the factory BC in our Ford the same way.

Dave

Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Here's the link to the Prodigy P3 manual...BC brake setting procedure is on pge 5.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...ion/N90195.pdf

I've set the factory BC in our Ford the same way.

Dave
Thanks Dave, but mine is so old that it has no digital display, just a little indicator light that goes from green to orange to red depending on the gain AND the manual slide position. If I step on the brake pedal it will go to Orange and if I hold the brake pedal in the same position and slide the manual control on over, it will turn Red and apply full brakes on trailer.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Thanks Dave, but mine is so old that it has no digital display, just a little indicator light that goes from green to orange to red depending on the gain AND the manual slide position. If I step on the brake pedal it will go to Orange and if I hold the brake pedal in the same position and slide the manual control on over, it will turn Red and apply full brakes on trailer.
Dunnc...you really need to treat yourself to a proportional controller like the Prodigy P3. The difference is night and day in their operation. I switched from an old Reese solid state (?) BC to the P3 and couldn't believe the difference.

Dave

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Dunnc...you really need to treat yourself to a proportional controller like the Prodigy P3. The difference is night and day in their operation. I switched from an old Reese solid state (?) BC to the P3 and couldn't believe the difference.

Dave

In what way are they better, being an old coot, I think mine work fine. I had to fiddle with the gain on the new trailer, but once set, I don't mess with the gain, just check the manual when I hook up to see that it will lock the brakes while checking the hitch.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #50

No hurky jurky! Nice and smooth.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
No hurky jurky! Nice and smooth.
Sorry to disappoint you Baldy, I have no hurky jurky and mine are nice and smooth. Don't know how they could be any better. You can bet that if the controller starts acting up tho', it will be replaced.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #52

I just wanted to say hurky jurky. You should see what auto correct comes up with LOL. No disappointment here. I've had the cheapy BC and I had the hurky jurky's. Nothing proportional about them!

Glad your nice and smooth! The integrated models on the Fords are something else. They make the P3 look old school. I haven't touched mine. Went from the 21SS to the 8306SS and it is the same. Amazing technology.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I just wanted to say hurky jurky. You should see what auto correct comes up with LOL. No disappointment here. I've had the cheapy BC and I had the hurky jurky's. Nothing proportional about them!

Glad your nice and smooth! The integrated models on the Fords are something else. They make the P3 look old school. I haven't touched mine. Went from the 21SS to the 8306SS and it is the same. Amazing technology.
Not paying $30,000 for a new truck just to get an "Amazing technology" brake controller, a little too pricey.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #54
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Your TV 2010 F250 is just like mine from a brake controller standpoint. With your reailer hitched, set the brake gain to about 5.5 then squeeze the two paddles below the gain adjust +/- buttons, with the tranny in "D" let the TV start to roll then squeeze the paddles together, you should feel the trailer brakes engage. If your TV does not come to a stop, increase the gain until it does. If your brakes do not engage, check the pin assignments for your trailer connector with that in the truck owner manual. You might check the brake pin assignment in the truck bed against the one on the bumper connector.

Tags
brakes