Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Hot Wheel

Ok community. Need some help. I’ve looked for the answer here already but haven’t found it, so if there’s an existing thread that contains some advice just point me in the direction.

I have a 2014 Grey Wolf 26BH. On a recent trip, VA to OH, I noticed one wheel (drivers side front) was hot to the touch, but the other 3 were fine. Consulted with a great mobile RV repair guy who allowed me to help him repack the bearings so I could do them all myself at home, which I have since done.

So all new bearings, races and grease all around, and on my current trip, VA to TN, the wheel is still crazy hot whenever I stop for gas, food, whatever. But just the one. The same one.

Based on info in this forum, I took everything apart and adjusted the brakes all the way to locked, then backed them off 5 clicks or so till the wheel spins free AND IT STILL GETS HOT!

I’m figuring it has to be brake related but can’t figure it out. Any advice is appreciated.
Touch of Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #2

If the bearings are set correctly I would agree it the brake causing the problem on that wheel seems like it is not retracting properly after application. I think I would lift that side of the trailer spin the wheel and have someone apply the brake and see if I could feel any drag after that, then I would pull the wheel and check/clean every part of the brake (completely remove) then reinstall and check.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Good thing you are paying attention, a hot wheel can lead to tires over heating and .....
I would also do what SeaDog is suggesting, you may have to repeat the 'stationary brake check' several times, it can happen that they fail to release only occasionally. Sometimes a good dose of brake cleaner does the trick.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Team

I'd suggest getting an IR temp gun and using it to tell just how hot the wheel is and if it is hotter near the center or toward the outside of the hub. At least that way you'll know where to start looking. You'll need to check it pretty quickly after stopping before the hub has time to 'soak' and equalize the temp throughout.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Update: took SeaDogs advice, got that wheel in the air and gave her a spin. Brakes work, but do not release fully. Grinding sounds....

So I disassembled it and the other wheel on the same side to see if I could compare the two and get any further clues.

This is the adjustment gear from the problem wheel: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9430.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	181684

Notice how the little metal bar does not engage with the teeth of the gear on the hot wheel. This prohibits me from adjusting the brakes and the brakes from adjusting themselves, so I think that when I brake, the brakes are not fully retracting, causing friction and therefore heat.

Is there a way to adjust the play/tension/orientation of the plate, or is this telling me I’m ready for a whole new assembly?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Site Team

What kind(brand) of brakes are those. I'm not saying anything is wrong, but I just haven't seen the ones that the adjuster is inside the spring..and was curious. Always wanting to learn.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What kind(brand) of brakes are those. I'm not saying anything is wrong, but I just haven't seen the ones that the adjuster is inside the spring..and was curious. Always wanting to learn.
These are the typical auto-adjust/nev-r-adjust/some-other-fancy-name brakes. Manual adjust brakes have the spring under the adjuster.

The little plate is actually a lever that is actuated via the thin steel cable that runs diagonally between the brake shoes. It is not always engaged to the adjuster wheel. It will catch the adjuster when there is enough wear on the brake shoes to make the lever move far enough back.

I can't really tell from the pic if the lever is in contact with the adjuster wheel. It needs to have a little pressure onto the adjuster to snap behind a tooth when moved back far enough.

If the adjuster doesn't work it would not cause the brake to drag more, rather the gap between the shoes and the drum gets larger over time.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Site Team

Can you take a picture of the entire brake plate? I'll get a picture of an old one I have that's grease soaked but assembled correctly and you can compare how they're assembled.

Here's how it should look assembled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Brake Backplate.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	181701
Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Greetings Gang, sorry for the hiatus. Summer schedules, kids, work, life, etc. Just returned from our most recent trip to Indiana and back, and I'm still having the same issue. Bama Rambler thanks for the tip, I was able to determine for sure that the heat is coming from the hub, and mine assembled looks just like yours. It gets hot enough to fry an egg (not that you would but you could...)! I'm raising the white flag on this one, so I took it to a trusted trailer shop locally today, and will update the thread with my/their findings in case it can help someone else out. Thanks for all the great suggestions and feed back.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
llr

Do you mean the center of the hub by the bearings? Or out by the edge? If the center it sounds like you have a bearing issue.

How much is it dragging after releasing the brakes? Hard to turn? Or just slight sounds?

Have you checked the other brakes? Is it possible that is the only one working?

After stopping a few times what is the temperature of all the drums in the same location?
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel