Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #1

How bad is this axle?

Hey Forest River Forums,

I recently purchased my first travel trailer, 2021 R-Pod 180, and I didn't catch the un-even wear on the tires and chamber inwards. My guess is that the torsion axle was over loaded at some point and will need to be replaced. Luckily they are bent about the same and the trailer still pulls straight and doesn't sway. I also replaced the original tires, but don't have pics of the original.

However,
1. based on the pics below, how bad is it? Is this something that I need to replace immediately, soon as possible, fairly soon, etc.? Is this something that maintenance can help/fix? (assuming it can't fix it, but is there something I can do to help)

2. I've seen some less then seller reports of OEM torsion axle and was planning on getting a higher rated system. Other than critical sizing requirements, what are some other considerations with up-scaling the axle?

3. Any recommendations on axle companies/repairs? Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to get new rims as most axles over 4,000 lbs use 6 hole bolts instead of my current 5 hole rim.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper side.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	298621   Click image for larger version

Name:	other side.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	298622   Click image for larger version

Name:	other sidee 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	298623  
Tpodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:37 PM   #2

Bump thread

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any input on this level of bend in the axle.

Thanks!
Tpodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:13 PM   #3

Look out the windows via the mirrors. The rv should be dead straight. You can sort of see if one is bent.

Consistent views down the sides. Usually one side you can see more wall. Do not know how to explain better.

They will not get better. Not terribly expensive.

On mine one side of the tire wore badly. About an inch.

Prices on ev trailer.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:23 PM   #4

If it's a Torflex axle the only solution is replacement.

I would first make sure wheel bearings are properly adjusted on the off chance they are really loose.

As for "upsizing", I probably wouldn't go to the extra expense. I would weigh the trailer fully loaded ( as you would, not previous owner) and if weight is less than the "side sticker weight, just replace with same axle.

If mechanically inclined replacing axle once purchased is not a difficult job. Torflex axles are a bolt on affair. Remove brake assemblies from spindles reinstall on new axle.

Once repaired avoid overloading. Even if you go up a size in axle capacity that doesn't increase frame capacity and you do not want to bend that.

What the picture shows is pretty much the classic "overloaded and hitting a severe bump too fast".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:24 PM   #5

That doesn’t look good.

Tags
axle, bent axle, chamber, torsion axles