RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

how critical I replace tires?

Picked up our new to us R-Pod 190 TT in May 2020 and have taken it on short trips (total ~400 miles). Yesterday I noticed one Castle Rock tire was falling apart (see pic). The production date is 5117 (~Dec. 20, 2017). I've read on the forum about replacing tires sooner than later, so my question is how bad is this tire problem? I do plan one more 200 mile trip next week before winterization. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Rock tire.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	242594   Click image for larger version

Name:	faulty tire.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	242595  
TNCVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

I'd be double checking the trailer....it looks like that tire is hitting something on the trailer.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

Thanks BigH. Actually took the fender off yesterday for a minor repair and there is nothing making contact with the tire and the R-Pod has the tires external of the TV frame so I don't think something is making contact with the tire. Maybe I ran over something in the past and drug it for a while, damaging the tire before it fell away?..??
TNCVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #4

Hmm...It looks like something stationary was making contact with the tire but who knows?

Anyway, I replaced the Castle pops after a couple pulls with Goodyear Endurance. I slept better after doing so.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Probably a good idea to replace the tires.
Replacing tires is safer and less likely to have a blowout.
I had 2017 castlerocks with 20,000 miles on them (lucky I guess) when I blew the 1st tire. No damage to trailer. Thought I should get new tires.
Then blew the 2nd tire with around $800 damage. Had to get tires. plus repair the wheel skirt. ��*♂️
Hillbillyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Castle Rock Tires

Our RPod 189 had a clearance light on the top of the fender...bolted to the fender. Does yours have that light...run your hand under the fender. Whatever...you need to get rid of the Castle Rock tires as soon as possible....we switched to the Goodyear Endurance(Tire Rack.com) . It totally changed towing the RPod...no bouncing...trailed straight...no sway. On a 2000 mile trip we picked up about 1.5 MPG.
Mbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I'd be double checking the trailer....it looks like that tire is hitting something on the trailer.
Wear pattern is more a classic alignment issue. I'd have that checked before installing a new tire.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

TitanMike has a good point. How does the whole tread look?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Wear pattern is more a classic alignment issue. I'd have that checked before installing a new tire.
Yes a wear pattern can show classic alignment issues but what wear pattern do you see? The center tread block has a gouge line out of it and you can't see the full edge of either side of the tire?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Yes a wear pattern can show classic alignment issues but what wear pattern do you see? The center tread block has a gouge line out of it and you can't see the full edge of either side of the tire?
Only looking at a picture so a lot of detail is left out. I see a "wedge" pattern on tread elements with a flap forming on what I believe to be the trailing edge.

Whan i look closely at the picture I do see a line but don't see it as an actual gouge but more like rubbed rubber from parts of the tread element. Looking at the side view, again based solely on the picture, I see a tire that has been rolling on one edge. I'd like to see pics of the full tread face and pics of the tire on the other side.

I spent my career looking at tires chewed up by alignment issues and some things kind of stand out. Of course a mere picture kind of limits the REAL picture.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

So, they put a 3-year old tire on a new TT???

Between that and the visible damage, yes replace the tires. Id call FR and ask about the practice of putting old tires on a new TT. Tires age, even if they are not in use. They should pay part of the cost of replacing the tires.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Only looking at a picture so a lot of detail is left out. I see a "wedge" pattern on tread elements with a flap forming on what I believe to be the trailing edge.

Whan i look closely at the picture I do see a line but don't see it as an actual gouge but more like rubbed rubber from parts of the tread element. Looking at the side view, again based solely on the picture, I see a tire that has been rolling on one edge. I'd like to see pics of the full tread face and pics of the tire on the other side.

I spent my career looking at tires chewed up by alignment issues and some things kind of stand out. Of course a mere picture kind of limits the REAL picture.
I think you're slipping Mike...The angle the photo was taken for the side view doesn't show tread that makes contact with the road. You can just start to make out the side of the tread block in the upper left corner.

Hey TNCVOL show us a photo of the entire tread surface please. (I'll eat crow in the shadow of the expert if necessary)
Old 11-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #13

To me - not a tire expert - that is an unusual wear pattern, likely not caused by an internal defect in the tire. I suspect misalignment, but again I'm not an expert.

In any case, the cause of the unusual wear needs to be determined and corrected BEFORE you replace the tires (which I agree you should do). Otherwise, the cause will ruin the next set of tires, too.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #14

I'll guess you have a 95% chance that at least one of the three year old Castlerocks will blow out on your next trip, and you'll be in the worst location to change a tire. Replace with GY Endurance if they have them in your size.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

the only thing between you and the rough side of the road is your tires... they deserve the best attention you can give them... did you ever have a good day at the side of the road changing a tire?

I saw you say this...
Quote:
our new to us R-Pod 190 TT
so I am thinking this is on a used trailer.

Carlisle is another good brand if you cannot find GY Endurance as many sizes in GY are backordered...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #16

Maxxis tires are very well regarded on this forum as well. I upgraded to maxxis tires this year after a blowout and they have been smoother I am very happy with them
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #17

I saw something that looked very close to this on one of my tires a few years ago. On mine that separation went almost all the way around the tire. It turned out to be a steel belt that was coming apart, according to the shop. My thought was the steel belt was not installed correctly. Yes it was an over seas tire but can't remember the brand. Those tires are over 3 years old, if they show ANY other signs of wear or cracking they would be gone before our next trip.

Just my $.02
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCVOL View Post
Picked up our new to us R-Pod 190 TT in May 2020 and have taken it on short trips (total ~400 miles). Yesterday I noticed one Castle Rock tire was falling apart (see pic). The production date is 5117 (~Dec. 20, 2017). I've read on the forum about replacing tires sooner than later, so my question is how bad is this tire problem? I do plan one more 200 mile trip next week before winterization. Thanks in advance.
10 miles or 200 miles, if you are pulling your TT at highway speeds, be aware of the possible damage. There is not a tire place on the earth that will tell you "it looks OK for the drive", it is a personal choice.
bzac1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #19

Whether that tire came new on that TT or from another one, with that kind of damage, I'd replace it, or the pair. For that age tire on a trailer, maybe it came that way but I'd bet someone saw it on theirs and wanted a new tire, which came off your trailer on the dealer's lot. Or maybe that contributed to why they sold it in the first place. Too many 'don't know for sure' issues to take a chance IMO.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #20

Great feedback, thanks. A few more details... 1) TT is a 2019 R-Pod so we are 2nd owners and that would explain 3 y.o. tires; 2) recently noticed the fender was pulled away from the TT frame and I assumed that a neighbor kid stepped on the fender and pulled it away (see post-repair pic); 3) my best guesstimate now is that I drove over something that got wedged between the fender and tire, dug out the tread until the fender pulled away from the frame and released the object. As requested a few more pics of the left tire (right side is fine w/o unusual wear patterns). Thx for the tips. Shopping now on Walmart's Black Friday sale for tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender repair (2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	242652   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender repair.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	242653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Rock tire1.jpg
Views:	94