Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
will likely get a lot of hate comments but someone needs to say it.....manufactures are not the cheap ones....WE ARE.
Not 100% of the time.
We ordered our new rockwood 2606ws and there is NO option for different tires. After 800 miles I decided not to gamble and got 5 new Goodyear endurance.
If anyone is interested there on craigslist for $150 for all 5.
4 have 800 miles 1 has zero miles. I could be talked into $125
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #22

TIRES

In 2014, with just 1,200 miles on my brand new FR Wildwood, I blew a tire going 45 mph. It cost over $7,000 to repair the damage. At that time, I told FR what I thought of their tires and suggested that when it happens and causes death or serious injury, they may think twice about the quality of tires they are putting on the road. Of course, I didn't receive an answer.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a tire expert.

I think(as others) the base problem is the weight to capacity ratings. If your RV has less than 20% cushion then I THINK the problem is magnified. I also think checking your tires everyday/each trip with a gauge is another issue. How many times have you heard "I just checked my tires 30 miles earlier" and had a failure(IE leaking core). Am I saying don't check your tires? No, but I am saying check "less often" as also recommended by experts. The best answer to me is a TPMS or check at the beginning of the trip maybe? Soap bubble test the stem when checking air pressure? I dunno. I just know the "crappy tires" aren't the only issues in play.
I agree. There are a lot of issues in play including road hazards, under inflated tires, and curbs. Probably a lot of curbs and that can break belts in the tire.

I also think that the big deep slides in today’s campers are also a factor when you have a small weight reserve capacity in your tires. These big slides are a lot of weight to hang out there over those tires and probably exceed the tire weight limits.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #24
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
In 2014, with just 1,200 miles on my brand new FR Wildwood, I blew a tire going 45 mph. It cost over $7,000 to repair the damage. At that time, I told FR what I thought of their tires and suggested that when it happens and causes death or serious injury, they may think twice about the quality of tires they are putting on the road. Of course, I didn't receive an answer.

Can I ask what was the build date of tires?

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #25

For all of you saying you replaced your tires, I hope you are also going up a load range on the tires.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Just curious, did insurance cover most of that?
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #27

Tires

Just put Goodyear Endurance on my RPod. Spare had never been on the ground, Replaced it anyway! There were too many stories on this forum about disastrous blowouts!
Bailsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #28
Flyboy1950

If “polishdon” thinks Maxxis brand tires are the answer to “China bomb” tires, please check to see that Maxxis tires are manufactured in Taiwan. I wouldn’t feel even a tiny bit safer with Maxxis tires. Goodyear tires, yes, much safer. Plus, any tire can fail, just lower chances with an American brand (in my opinion). But even if a Goodyear tire does fail & (heaven forbid) damages your RV, Goodyear will likely pay for the damage to your RV. Trust me, I owned a Goodyear tire store and have filed a few claims for vehicle damage with Goodyear & they always paid those claims.

If a Maxxis or any other minor foreign brand tire failes & damages your RV, where will you go to file that claim for damages? Have you ever even seen a Maxxis Tires sign above any tire dealer? I haven’t. I’ve seen lots of Goodyear signs where you can drive in and have the dealer contact Goodyear on your behalf and file that claim for damages. Or they will give you the contact for Goodyear customer claims and you can contact them yourself.

The same is true for other major brand tires, Michelin, Firestone, Goodrich, Uniroyal, Bridgestone etc.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #29

Got my new Maxxis 8008's put on today! Hooray and ready for a 3-week trip!

Marsha
MHManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #30

We had two blow outs this year. First one in GA on our way down to FL, second one in SC on our way home from FL. The tires were only one year old, sorry I don't know the name - DH said he would have to look them up. But I am sure CHINA BOMB. 5th wheel is now at the Dealer for the annual maintenance, we are purchasing 4 new tires - we were told that Triangle are the best, looked them up and the mother house is in China but they are made in NC. But we were told by a friend who knows this stuff that we better have them balanced first - so Dealer was told to have them balanced before putting them on. Nuff Said!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #31

And that is why I got rid of the Castle Rocks on our 2018 Palomino Real Lite RL181. With about 1000 miles on them every time we went out (mostly local camping trips ) I thought this might be the time. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance and I can tell an improvement in the way the camper pulls, less bounce and less tuck when Semi's pass.
dsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #32

Chinese tires

I bought a new E-Pro 19FBS and, after a lot of reading on this forum, the first mod I made to it was to swap out the Chinese tires for a new set of Goodyear Endurance. Sold the Chinese ones on Craigs List and defrayed the cost of the new tires. Even had the new tires balanced in the process.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #33
DDC

I was what I consider lucky with ones that came on my Silverback, I got about 14000 miles out of them before my TPMS told me one was having trouble holding pressure even as it’s temp rose, found a bubble of all places by the rim. I changed to good year endurance, it’s just like paying another thousand bucks insurance.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #34

Would you pay another 800 bucks for your trailer? You probably wouldn't notice the extra cost. I dumped my Blow Maxes the day I got home. They sell these things for like 75 bucks apiece. I want to go on vacation without worry. It's not "if", but "when" you're going to have a problem. Heavy loads, high heat, road hazards, you need a quality tire. Simple. Yeah some get away with it, yeah good tires are pricey. I travel with Murphy. "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #35

The OP mentioned “dangerous conditions” which I assume means changing a tire on the side of the Interstate. I had a blowout on the tow vehicle once where I only had about four feet clearance from the truck to the roadway. First thing I did was call 911 and tell them I was parked where the truck and trailer were a hazard to traffic and I didn’t have any warning devices (triangles, flares, etc.).

I patiently waited about five minutes until a state trooper showed up with the flashing blue lights behind the trailer. Made the tire change much safer and in less than 15 minutes I was on my way.

As a bonus, the trooper reminded me that my drivers license was expiring in one week. I definitely would have missed that deadline.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
If “polishdon” thinks Maxxis brand tires are the answer to “China bomb” tires, please check to see that Maxxis tires are manufactured in Taiwan. I wouldn’t feel even a tiny bit safer with Maxxis tires. Goodyear tires, yes, much safer. Plus, any tire can fail, just lower chances with an American brand (in my opinion). But even if a Goodyear tire does fail & (heaven forbid) damages your RV, Goodyear will likely pay for the damage to your RV. Trust me, I owned a Goodyear tire store and have filed a few claims for vehicle damage with Goodyear & they always paid those claims.

If a Maxxis or any other minor foreign brand tire failes & damages your RV, where will you go to file that claim for damages? Have you ever even seen a Maxxis Tires sign above any tire dealer? I haven’t. I’ve seen lots of Goodyear signs where you can drive in and have the dealer contact Goodyear on your behalf and file that claim for damages. Or they will give you the contact for Goodyear customer claims and you can contact them yourself.

The same is true for other major brand tires, Michelin, Firestone, Goodrich, Uniroyal, Bridgestone etc.

The Maxxis M8008 tires on my PWC trailer are made in Thailand, not Taiwan.

And even if it were Taiwan, Taiwan isn’t China and products from Taiwan tend to have generally better build quality and QC compared to China.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The OP mentioned “dangerous conditions” which I assume means changing a tire on the side of the Interstate. I had a blowout on the tow vehicle once where I only had about four feet clearance from the truck to the roadway. First thing I did was call 911 and tell them I was parked where the truck and trailer were a hazard to traffic and I didn’t have any warning devices (triangles, flares, etc.).

I patiently waited about five minutes until a state trooper showed up with the flashing blue lights behind the trailer. Made the tire change much safer and in less than 15 minutes I was on my way.

As a bonus, the trooper reminded me that my drivers license was expiring in one week. I definitely would have missed that deadline.
Read my post #19 on this thread.
Sat in the driving lane of a 4 lane 65 mph Highway for around 4 hours. No shoulders, lost all lug bolts on one hub. Highway Patrol Officer stopped for about 5 minutes and said that you are in a 'good' location with high visibility.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The Maxxis M8008 tires on my PWC trailer are made in Thailand, not Taiwan.

And even if it were Taiwan, Taiwan isn’t China and products from Taiwan tend to have generally better build quality and QC compared to China.
Correct DieselDrax and they have had very favorable results for those that have/had them.

While Sbosserman seems to be biased towards Goodyear, the Maxxis M8008 tires have a great reputation.

Based on posts, I believe I'd trust them just a good as the Endurance.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Correct DieselDrax and they have had very favorable results for those that have/had them.

While Sbosserman seems to be biased towards Goodyear, the Maxxis M8008 tires have a great reputation.

Based on posts, I believe I'd trust them just a good as the Endurance.

I’ve got the Endurance tires on our TT and have 7,000-8,000 miles on them, they’ve been great. I would have put them on the PWC trailer but Goodyear doesn’t make the Endurance tires for 13” wheels. Decided to go with the Maxxis M8008 to replace the aged-out Carlisles from 2011. Those served me well but I’ve also had problems with Carlisle tires before. Haven’t heard any bad things about the Maxxis and so far they’ve been great. Only put 600 miles on them so far, though.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #40
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I’ve got the Endurance tires on our TT and have 7,000-8,000 miles on them, they’ve been great. I would have put them on the PWC trailer but Goodyear doesn’t make the Endurance tires for 13” wheels. Decided to go with the Maxxis M8008 to replace the aged-out Carlisles from 2011. Those served me well but I’ve also had problems with Carlisle tires before. Haven’t heard any bad things about the Maxxis and so far they’ve been great. Only put 600 miles on them so far, though.
I too have Goodyear Endurance and would have likely chosen Maxxis if my go-to tire guy stocked them. They did stock Goodyear Endurance so I replace my separated Castle Rocks about 2 years ago.

I now have Goodyear Endurance on my dump trailer and my utility trailer as well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote