Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Incorrect info in some posts on tires.

I try and monitor posts that have tires and tire failure or changing tires in the discussion. Occasionally I see some in-accurate statements and wanted to get the facts out there.

Myth: "It is the tire that carries the load not the air"
Fact: it is the air that supports maybe 90 to 98% of the load so IMO it is best to just address tire inflation and not tire structure when considering load.
HERE is my Blog post with test results for those that want more than just my assertion.

Myth: NTSB , or DOT "certifies" tire performance.
Fact: NTSB is concerned with Commercial vehicle safety such as trains & planes and commercial buses not private vehicles.
DOT through its department NHTSA or National Highway Traffic Safety Administration publishes the test requirements for a variety of highway vehicle systems such a lights and tires. The law specifies that tire companies self "certify" their products will meet the published NHTSA requirements.
If you have a safety related problem (tires or any other system of your vehicle or RV) you should report the failure or safety concern to NHTSA via their web site. NHTSA does not monitor RV forums and can only look into safety concerns when they receive a complaint. NOTE you need the VIN and in the case of tires the DOT serial to make the complaint meaningful. This is one reason you should record the tire DOT BEFORE you have a failure as sometimes the serial can not be read after the failure so you can not file a useful report if you don't have the serial.

If you are running 65 psi or more in tour tires you should be running "High Pressure" valve stems which in most cases means bolt in metal valves. Standard rubber passenger type valves are only rated for a MAX of 65 psi.

Tire speed rating is not a NHTSA rating but comes from standards published by Society of Automotive Engineers SAE and I do not believe there are any legal requirements concerning those ratings. FYI to pass the speed test for a specific speed symbol i.e. "Q" or R or S etc a new tire only need to run 30 minutes at that speed and not fail.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #2

Thank you....

Especially this.....

If you are running 65 psi or more in tour tires you should be running "High Pressure" valve stems which in most cases means bolt in metal valves. Standard rubber passenger type valves are only rated for a MAX of 65 psi.

Most people have no idea what a screw down metal stem is. That is all I use on everything, including my passenger car tires.

Screw down stems (metal ones) are rated for 185 PSI or way more than you'll ever inflate a tire to

and screw down metal stems are inexpensive too.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Thanks!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

However, they do make a high pressure rubber snap in valve rated for greater than 65 psi....
Tubeless snap-in valves for high-pressure applications are designed for medium and heavy-duty trucks and trailers and must be used when recommended cold tire inflation pressures exceed 65 psi. High-pressure snap-in valves for .453" rim holes allow a maximum cold inflation pressure of 80 psi while those for .625" rim holes allow a maximum cold inflation pressure of 100 psi. Typically used in steel wheels, high-pressure snap-in valves combine a thicker rubber snap-in base with a metal barrel and a plastic cap. Effective lengths range from about 1-1/4" to 2".

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

I have been running truck tires for a long time and running a whole lot faster than 65 and I have never had a blowout. When I'm pulling my camper most times I'm running 70 to 75 and I don't have any trouble. The Cedar Creek I brought first had rubber stems. I think so called experts just don't know what they are talking about sometimes. Following the experts has got me in trouble a few times. I buy tires from a person that sells hardly anything else but tires and he installs no metal stems. He sells a lot of tires and at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

"high pressure rubber snap in valve rated for greater than 65 psi...." I had those on my tires. I had a flat tire, rear inside dual. Changed the tire with the spare and went back to the campground. Took the tire that went flat and inflated the tire. It would only get up to 50 psi and no further. I was running 80 psi. Found the leak at the stem of the valve. It was ripped. I had valve extenders on all the tires on the truck. I now have brass valve stems on all the tires. No more valve extenders but there are TST flow thru TPMS on all tires including the 5er.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have been running truck tires for a long time and running a whole lot faster than 65 and I have never had a blowout. When I'm pulling my camper most times I'm running 70 to 75 and I don't have any trouble. The Cedar Creek I brought first had rubber stems. I think so called experts just don't know what they are talking about sometimes. Following the experts has got me in trouble a few times. I buy tires from a person that sells hardly anything else but tires and he installs no metal stems. He sells a lot of tires and at a good price.

The post said use metal valves when inflating over 65 PSI... not sure why you are talking about going faster than 65 MPH with rubber valves... one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

The NHRA requires bolt on valve stems on ALL sanctioned drag race vehicles and so does NASCAR and every other racing body... Wonder why? Because for one, they are safer and two, little to no chance of stem failure.

Just makes a common sense addition in my view. They are cheap, easy to install at the time of tire replacement and last the life of the rim. Can you say that for a rubber or composite rubber / metal stem...

Don't think so.

Even my lawnmower has screw down stems......
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Smile

Appreciate the expertise.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
The post said use metal valves when inflating over 65 PSI... not sure why you are talking about going faster than 65 MPH with rubber valves... one has nothing to do with the other.

My tires are inflated more than 65 PSI

Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The NHRA requires bolt on valve stems on ALL sanctioned drag race vehicles and so does NASCAR and every other racing body... Wonder why? Because for one, they are safer and two, little to no chance of stem failure.

Just makes a common sense addition in my view. They are cheap, easy to install at the time of tire replacement and last the life of the rim. Can you say that for a rubber or composite rubber / metal stem...

Don't think so.

They also require that you run nitrogen in the tires, are you suggesting we run nitrogen?

Old 11-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
They also require that you run nitrogen in the tires, are you suggesting we run nitrogen?

I don't know if it's one of the million or so Nascar or NHRA rules but even if it's not the teams use nitrogen because it's the most efficient way to get consistent air pressure. The nitrogen is used more to run the airguns than anything else.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I don't know if it's one of the million or so Nascar or NHRA rules but even if it's not the teams use nitrogen because it's the most efficient way to get consistent air pressure. The nitrogen is used more to run the airguns than anything else.

You mean they don't require that the race cars tires to run nitrogen?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

There is always a professional version of life. We sell industrial pipe, valves and fittings. I see people misusing products all the time. I see 250 lb rated brass fittings on 2000+ hydraulic lines etc. Many times people over pressurize, over torque, over pull or whatever. Just because it hasn't caused a problem yet, doesn't mean it won't. IE not supposed to go over 65 on most ST tires, but people do. Not supposed to tow a 15,000 fifth wheel with MOST 3/4T trucks, but people do. I also see people towing 75 MPH, but I won't do it.

IMO just do all you can to be safe and if something as simple as a HD valve stem stops one death per ??? then it is worth it? BTW the trailer I just got came with the ones F5moab mentioned and it has 15" LRD tires.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

Don't think so.

Many alloy wheels cannot accept bolt on metal stems. The OEM wheels on my Flagstaff 8528IKWS can't but I did have high pressure snap-in type (like mentioned above) installed when I had Maxxis tires mounted this summer. They provide good support for the TST TPMS non-flow through sensors and give me warm fuzzies compared to baseline rubber stems.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

I put metal stems on our 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS with OEM 06 alum wheels and flow thru TST TPMS sensors. Tried the high pressure rubber stems and they lasted about a year.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I just got new truck (E rated tires). Firestone recommended the high pressure snap in ines shown above. I questioned the bolt in kind. They said the tech recommends the snapin metal/rubber composite because they won't leak down the road like the bolt in. They also said the compisite were the OEM on my factory truck E rated tires. That said, these were the same guys that misaligned my truck on the first try.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:

Your LT tires and both 18.5 & 22.5 Truck tires are rated for 75 mph operation in RV duty.
I am concerned that the tires on your camper trailer may be ST type which have their load tables developed based on 65 mph max.

You did not advise what inflation you are running in any of your tires. I have seen the standard rubber passenger tire valves fail in application where the inflation is greater than 65 and if a TPMS sensor is added to the rubber stem. If you want to continue using the rubber stems that is your choice. I am just trying to offer information on a Best Practice approach.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I just got new truck (E rated tires). Firestone recommended the high pressure snap in ines shown above. I questioned the bolt in kind. They said the tech recommends the snapin metal/rubber composite because they won't leak down the road like the bolt in. They also said the compisite were the OEM on my factory truck E rated tires. That said, these were the same guys that misaligned my truck on the first try.
Yes bolt in metal stems require proper fastening (care and knowledge) from the tech. I note that there are two different trpes of "high pressure snap in stems. One has a longer brass core that extends all the way to the rim. This type would probably resisting bending with a TPMS better than a valve with shorter brass core.
Just trying to offer what I consider best practice.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
You mean they don't require that the race cars tires to run nitrogen?

I don't have a clue...don't keep up with the rules any more and don't feel like looking it up. They probably do, but Nascar probably has a rule saying it's illegal to spit tobacco juice out the left side of your mouth. You have to spit right. Maybe it's an unwritten rule, like the one about no peanuts in the pit area.

I do know that many years back the teams actually had air compressors in the pits to run the air tools and adjust tire pressures. They wised up and found it was easier and more efficient to use the regulated pressure from 2,000+ psi tanks of nitrogen. Since on track tire temps can exceed 200 degrees it's a no brainer to use nitrogen due to it being much drier than compressed air and has less pressure change due to temperature.

Tags
tire, tires