Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Independent Torsion vs. Leaf Spring

Was wondering if anyone had any advice on the advantages/disadvantages of independent torsion axles vs. leaf spring axles.

I'm looking at either the SP280 or the SV264. Love both models, but don't know if one axle configuration is far superior to the other or not.

Thanks.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt87 View Post
Was wondering if anyone had any advice on the advantages/disadvantages of independent torsion axles vs. leaf spring axles.

I'm looking at either the SP280 or the SV264. Love both models, but don't know if one axle configuration is far superior to the other or not.

Thanks.
The floor plan will be the most important thing when making your decision. The surveyor "selects" come with torsion suspension - lower ride height (which makes for a smaller sail behind your vehicle), each wheel is independent of one another and because of the rubber sandwich a bit softer ride (i.e. car trailers and horse trailers along with airstreams generally have torsion suspension).

As you've figured, the torsion costs more. I would also like to mention that there are less wear parts (IMHO) to torsion suspension than leaf spring (shackles, springs etc.). Better dealers will install shocks on a leaf spring setup to get rid of the bumps, making the trailer have much better handling characteristics. Imagine driving your truck with leaf springs and no shocks...

The "sport" model surveyor offers a lower entry point (money wise) and a few less features but are still a decent trailer. Not sure of the the price difference in your area but you'll have to decide if these things matter to you.

happy camping (in the future),
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #3

First 5th wheel I had, had leaf springs. The one I have now has torsion. didn't notice any difference. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have torsion axles on my current trailer, and also on my past Trailmanor. The trailers seem to "float" down the road. I had leaf springs on a previous pop-up, and that puppy rode rough.....enough to jar both lenses off of my taillights somewhere in PA.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

The biggest problem with torsion axles it that they dont equalize, as in say you back over a hump and its more than 6 inches tall, the trailer will actually lift the other wheel on the same side off the ground. This places all the weight of that side on one axle/tire. Also with a fifth wheel, since you can generally push them real tight in the corners it stresses the components to the extreme, and the leaf setup is a little stronger in that aspect as the torsion has an arm that multiplies the force to the actual axle tube. I have a 5er with leafs and a carmate work trailer with torsion, the torsion is so quiet and rides smooth. Their are no shackles or bushings to wear or squeek and overall last longer. I maintain 6 trailers annualy and always end up replacing shackles, leafs, and or bushings in the sprung setups but have never in 10 years had to replace or repair any of the torsion setups
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #6

I have never had a travel trailer with the torsion axles. I have had horse trailers both ways and I much prefer the torsion axle over leaf springs. In my opinion they have a smoother ride, they are quieter and less maintenance.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Imo torsion is the way to go. Better ride
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote