Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #1

IR Thermometer-Black Friday deals

I've seen IR thermometers mentioned on several different threads on the forum. Looking at the local Black Friday adds today, I saw that Sears has one that reads -4 to 500 degrees for $19 and Harbor Freight has their Centech thermometer that reads -36 to 968 degrees for $20.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Thanks for the info, I was planning on a trip to Harbor Freight tomorrow already so one more item to grab. Thanks again.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
I've seen IR thermometers mentioned on several different threads on the forum. Looking at the local Black Friday adds today, I saw that Sears has one that reads -4 to 500 degrees for $19 and Harbor Freight has their Centech thermometer that reads -36 to 968 degrees for $20.
Just based on past experience, I would go with the Sears - not because it's a dollar cheaper,but because I have always had good luck with Sears.

I been meaning to get one of these things after watching my furnace man use one to check the air temperature coming out of my ceiling mounted registers without getting on a ladder.

They're are also handy for checking your wheel bearings and tires temperstures to see if they're running hot.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Just based on past experience, I would go with the Sears - not because it's a dollar cheaper,but because I have always had good luck with Sears.

I been meaning to get one of these things after watching my furnace man use one to check the air temperature coming out of my ceiling mounted registers without getting on a ladder.

They're are also handy for checking your wheel bearings and tires temperstures to see if they're running hot.
x's 2 I do not leave home without it. I walk around and check each tire and hub at every stop like rest areas and when getting fuel. If i'm with in 5 or 10 degrees of my TV on the trailer I call it good.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
x's 2 I do not leave home without it. I walk around and check each tire and hub at every stop like rest areas and when getting fuel. If i'm with in 5 or 10 degrees of my TV on the trailer I call it good.
Since Sears and HF are cpl miles apart here in Raleigh, I picked up one of each this morning until I confirm with you guys which one will be best depending on their maximum readings.

GL, since you use yours all the time will the 500 degree Sears Craftsman do the job vs the 980 max degree HF? My guess is yes. (I've never done any research on what temps an axle bearing runs at.) I like the size and Craftsman name better...even though it is made in China too.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #6

For canadians, Canadian Tire has it at 19.99 for 4 days......page 2 of flyer

OTTAWA Canadian Tire Weekly Flyer
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

From another posting, which I can't remember where, you can also use them to check the level of propane in your tanks in warm weather, I think it said.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Since Sears and HF are cpl miles apart here in Raleigh, I picked up one of each this morning until I confirm with you guys which one will be best depending on their maximum readings.

GL, since you use yours all the time will the 500 degree Sears Craftsman do the job vs the 980 max degree HF? My guess is yes. (I've never done any research on what temps an axle bearing runs at.) I like the size and Craftsman name better...even though it is made in China too.
Yes it will the most I have ever read was about 118 degrees. I even shot the pavement in Needles Cal. it was like a 112 degrees. During 90 degree weather I'm about in the neighbor hood of 104 t0 108. Just shoot the hubs then the sidewall of the tire. The hub will tell you if your break is dragging or bearing are getting hot. do the same on your TV if your with 5 or so degrees you are good to go...... I trust my TV reading more then the RV. Also remember that the sun side will be a little hotter just from the sun itself so don't let that bother you. Also if a RV pulls in next to me at a rest stop, I'll shoot his just to check the difference. I also use it check my food when doing the barbe. Make sure the chicken is done. just separate the meat with a knife and shoot it. You will find a ton of uses for that gadget.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

I use mine to check the temp of my beer. Always want to be safe!
kittyskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black